57% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Unbreakable Reviews

Carlos M

January 4, 2010
Shyamalan displays an absolute control of his film and the type of story he wants to tell, making use of many elaborate long takes and camera movements to enhance the tension of his intriguing plot, while keeping us involved even when the pacing seems to slow down.
Red L

April 26, 2014
What if you were a superhero, but didn't even know it? That is the premise of Unbreakable, and it is quite interesting. Not as interesting as Sixth Sense was though.
paul o.
paul o.

November 11, 2012
In cinema, you have films that appeal to the filmmakers and the audience. An artsy-fartsy movie usually appeals to the former while popcorn flicks appeals to the latter. Unbreakable appeals towards the filmmakers. There is symbolism from left to right and in someways the film can be called a small-town epic. A new personal favorite.
Wildaly M

May 30, 2007
M. Night Shyamalan's films tend to be miss or hits. This is more of a near hit as it tends to be a bit too slow and boring for my tastes. It's one of those "good but not great" kind of movies.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

October 28, 2011
M. Night Shyamalan follows up The Sixth Sense with Unbreakable, a pretty good thriller. Unbreakable was made back when Shyamalan made good films. This is a well crafted and plotted film with a great cast. I thought that the plot was very good and entertaining. I don't understand how Shyamalan went from making films like this trash. Anyhow, Unbreakable is well plotted, and Shyamalan keeps the pace slow moving, and effectively builds up the tension. After a train he's travelled on collides with another train, David Dunne is the only survivor of the crash, and is told by a stranger that he is among a select few of "unbreakable" people. The film's plot is good, but unlike The Sixth Sense or my personal favorite Shyamalan favorite, Signs, is no where near as good. For what it is, Unbreakable is a good thriller that is brilliantly acted and directed. M. Night Shyamalan may be a bad director, but Unbreakable, The Sixth Sense, and Signs are proof that he once was good. This good thriller that is well conceived, and though at times it's a bit boring, it succeeds at being entertaining and always thrilling, as a good, effective thriller should be. Unbreakable is a film that if you haven't seen, should see because this one of the stronger films that M. Night Shyamalan has directed. A good thriller with a good plot and a good cast make this a must see.
michael e.
michael e.

July 31, 2011
many consider this one of Shymalans weakest films but I think its his best. What I mean is that while the Sixth Sense is okay, and very innovative, it just doesn't hold a candle to this film, and don't get me started on Signs. The films is also much easier to sit through than most of Shymalan's films. It delves extremely well into, what if a comic book superhero actually existed. Also the drama is played out fantastically, and Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson work off eachother fabulously. Also the twist is very well done, and very shocking, rather than the Sixth Sense, which its twist was way too easy to tell what it was.
garyX
garyX

November 26, 2006
An obsessive comic book store owner is convinced that the sole survivor of a train wreck has special powers meant for a greater purpose. M. Night Shyamalan has long since exasperated me with his endless insistence on relying on rubbish plot twists to hang his entire films upon, but Unbreakable like The Sixth Sense before it, reminded me just why he was such an exciting prospect at the time. It has an intriguing concept exploring the idea that super powers may in fact be real, making for a low key but cerebral super hero film that is still quite unusual to this day. It has his keen eye for attractive visuals and subtle, nicely judged direction which aided by some fine performances makes for an intelligent and rather unique film. Unfortunately at the end, MNS's penchant for the plot twist once again raises its head and the final "revelation" is in fact a plot development that could've been really interesting; but instead of running with it, he just kind of throws it out there and the film just stops. It's a shame because up until this point, it's actually top notch entertainment which is rather ruined by such an anti-climactic and unsatisfying conclusion. Still definitely worth the time though, but it left me thinking how good it could have been rather than is.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

August 15, 2011
Unbreakable is a interesting, amazing, awesome, great acted thriller and is not as good as The Sixth Sense, but is till a classic in my eyes, a great film.
Shawn E

May 4, 2011
A great take on the super-hero genre. The film may have a slow build up, but it does save it's moments until the end. I was also pleasantly surprised by the performance by Samuel L. Jackson. One of M. Night Shyamalan's best works.
BEACHBUNNI
BEACHBUNNI

February 8, 2008
"Unbreakable" is the story about how a comic-book dealer, Elijah Price (Samuel Jackson), born with a rare genetic disease, that makes his bones brittle, helps an under achieving security guard, David Dunn (Bruce Willis), realize that he is a true comic-book-type superhero.
Richard C

June 26, 2010
a great movie. I loved it. m. night shyamalans best movie. A-
Apeneck F

July 16, 2007
a different take on the superhero genre, one w/o the big loud explosions, busy CGI chase scenes, etc., what-have-you, but rather with the emphasis on the idea of how it feels to find out that you've an incredible power, something that sets you apart from the rest bigtime.
a quiet kind of eerie foreboding dominates the piece, muting it, but m. night's actually done a good job here. only history will ever know about it.
3niR
3niR

January 31, 2010
There should be a second part of this movie. Because the ending seems to be like that. But either way I'm not going to watch it again. It's a bit boring.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

July 19, 2007
fav bit
At Elijah's suggestion, he walks through a crowd in a Philadelphia train station and witnesses crimes perpetrated by strangers who brush past him: a jewel thief, a racist hate crime perpetrator and a rapist. The worst offender is a sadistic janitor holding a family hostage and torturing them inside their home. David follows the janitor back to the victims' house. He is ambushed by the lurking janitor who throws him off a balcony into a pool below, where he nearly drowns but is rescued by the children he freed. He then subdues the janitor, but finds the parents already dead. That night, he reconciles with his wife. The next morning, he shows the newspaper article of his anonymous heroic act to his son, but also gestures with his hand that he does not want his son to tell
Dan S

July 23, 2007
A solid sophomore effort from a hot-starting M. Night Shyamalan. This movie has an arresting plot, a lead character to root for, and a creepy and scene-stealing supporting character. It's been a couple years since I've seen it, but I remember liking it, the twist ending, featured in most Shyamalan movies, is golden once again. While I still have "The Sixth Sense", "The Village", and "Signs" higher, this is still a solid movie. Shyamalan needs to return to doing good quality films like this, instead of junk like "Lady in the Water" and "The Happening".
Conner R

November 16, 2009
I personally see this as Shyamalan's best because it is a superhero movie without the child costumes. When you look at it, it's really just a retelling of the Superman story. Only, Superman doesn't know he's Superman. The realistic approach is such a fresh idea to the whole superhero concept. You still get to enjoy all the fun aspects of the genre without any of the cliches and plot holes.
TomBowler
TomBowler

August 2, 2009
This is the first Shyamalan movie i've seen and i found it very enjoyable. The main idea behind it in the first place is brilliant, what if Superman was real, he just didn't know that he was Superman, and the incredible directing from Shyamalan takes it from being a run of the mill, average superhero movie to a journey into a character's life. We meet David, a slightly depressed security guard whose marriage is on the verge of a complete breakdown and whose son is doing everything he can to get his dad's attention and keep his parents together. The opening train sequence is basically the film in a nutshell, managing to show David's growing depression and the fact that his marriage is obviously not working and is a great introduction to the film. There are great slow moments in which we can see deep into the characters themselves and moments which get the heart going a little faster. The fact that David's first fight is against one drunk man who pushes him off the balcony, causing him to almost drown in the pool cover, almost manages to make the whole concept of superheroes a little more believable. The only bad note for the film is the fact that it never quite progresses above a certain level of excitement, a level of excitement which is yearned for throughout the film.

Defining Scene:
When the son decides to test his father's strength with his work out gear.
Anthony L

September 22, 2009
Quintessentially this is a contemporary superhero movie, and a damn good one at that! Probably M. Night Shyamalan's best film to date.
Daniel J D

July 24, 2007
The real star of this movie was Sam Jackson's hair.