Uncle Buck - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Uncle Buck Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
June 10, 2013
Uncle Buck is a good comedy from John Hughes, but it is not his best work. John Candy is good here and he brings his zany humor to an average script. I enjoyed Uncle Buck, but compared to other films that Hughes has directed far superior films, and with Uncle Buck, we still see that magic that he has, but his ideas are somewhat lacking, and the film struggles in some areas with the material. There is enough funny bits to make this one worth seeing, and it is a fun and entertaining film that despite it's slow in parts, is never dull due to Candy's always loveable performance. John Hughes' direction is terrific, but at times you can clearly see where the film could have been improved on. Uncle Buck is really funny with a good story and worthwhile performances. If you're looking for a good family comedy to watch, then give this one a shot. John Candy is amusing here, and he makes so-so material better. For me the best collaboration between Hughes and Candy was Planes, Trains and Automobiles, but Uncle Buck still manages to have all the usual elements from a John Hughes movie. The film has a bit of drama thrown into the comedy as well, so you can expect something a bit serious, which is typical of a Hughes movie. Uncle Buck is funny, dramatic and warm hearted all in one movie. However John Hughes has made better movies throughout his career. Candy makes this worth seeing and it is an entertaining film, but it could have been a bit better as well.
February 2, 2008
Everyone loves Uncle Buck!! ;-)
DreamExtractor
August 15, 2011
Uncle Buck is a very funny movie, and I love John Candy, but sadly the movie was very boring.
August 13, 2011
Probably one of John Hughes most loveable comedies with a beautiful performance from Candy as 'Buck' in your typical Hughes teen angst cum family fun flick that must please all.

The whole film is so Hughes with the lovely suburban setting, big dream house, bratty teens, innocent kids with lots of prat falls and silly childish gags that are predictable yet simply fun. The plot is simple enough as the slobbish Candy must look after his brothers kids for afew days, this of course equals much tomfoolery and bumbling from Candy as he adapts to his new posher surroundings and tries to befriend the kids.

Candy's character is alittle similar to his character from 'Planes Trains and Automobiles' to be honest but Candy as we know does it so well, Hughes doesn't mess around and simply gets the best from Candy, the best that he knows will be liked. Macaulay Culkin present here in a pre 'Home Alone' performance that clearly got him that famous role as again his character is pretty similar in both films but he does fit these 80's films so well I gotta admit.

Its all very predictable yes but Hughes just had this skill in making golden teen flicks and family films that just worked perfectly even though they were abit samey, a case of everything coming together at the right time for that one time in history which can never be repeated, Candy was the ultimate family comedy character.
January 2, 2008
Though technically only probably a 4 star movie, this gets the full 5 stars from me because it is a nostalgic classic which I watched many, many times on tv in my teens.
For the two people left who haven't seen this, it is a sweet story about screw-up Buck, (John Candy in my favourite role for him), who goes to his well off brothers' house to babysit his nieces and nephew when his sister in law's father is taken ill. There is stroppy little madam, Tia, (Jean Kelly) and younger kids Miles and Maisey,(Macauley Culkin and Gabby Hoffman). Buck wins them over in his own unique way. Kind of predictable, but a nice little family comedy, similar in style to Home Alone, but I think my fabourite of the two.
I always get a smile out of Tia and Bug, although the older I get, the more horrible I think she is! Laurie Metcalf is also in this, and funny as usual.
September 6, 2010
A cute film from Hughes, but not as good as his previous work. It's not bad, it's just not good either.
August 4, 2010
John Hughes has a certain love for big, boisterous, Chicago families and before there was Home Alone there was Uncle Buck. Saddled with three foul mouthed and morally non-absorbant kids Buck has to fend off the advances of a neighbor, keep his niece's virginity, and not let down the people that truly love him the most. It's family fair for the wretch in all of us. Plus, Macauley Culkin swears in a pipsqueak voice. If that doesn't sell it, I don't know what will.
TheGame90
½ August 1, 2008
A good movie if you watch it in the middle of the night (not prime time material)
January 14, 2010
I really miss john candy! This is one of his best films!
December 16, 2009
An amazing comedy that's impossible to hate. John Candy embodies the most lovable characters with all sorts of crazy elements. He makes what might have been a mediocre film and takes it to the next level. The plot actually is one of the more well conceived John Hughes ideas.
ScoopOnline
December 13, 2009
He's crude. He's crass. He's family.
September 11, 2009
While I was watching "Uncle Buck," I found out that it was a lot funnier and a lot better than I was expecting it to be. First of all, it has John Candy in it as the main star, so I knew it had a good chance of being hilarious. Not only was it hilarious, it was also a good movie.
Buck Russell (John Candy) hasn't ever really been that close to his brother and his family, and he doesn't exactly have the cleanest and richest way of life, but when there's nobody else to turn to, Buck's brother Bob and Bob's wife, just might have to call on Buck to come and babysit their three kids. From there, I'll let you find out the rest on your own, and believe me, it's more than worth it!

There was a lot of parts in "Uncle Buck" that had me laughing nonstop, such as the part where Buck speaks to and makes fun of an assistant principal who has a huge wart on her face. Everything else about "Uncle Buck" goes along with the hilarious antics of John Candy to make this a great movie. It has good acting by everybody, the story is interesting, and I have to say it again, it's HILARIOUS!! If you've ever liked any other John Candy movie or if you like comedy movies at all, especially one the whole family can sit down and have a good time watching, then I recommend purchasing "Uncle Buck." NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2001. Who doesn't miss John Candy?
½ August 8, 2009
There isn't really much to be said about Uncle Buck. It is very good but it is a simple little film, one of those nice films to watch on a Sunday afternoon without having to rack your brain or think too hard.

The late John Candy excels here as Buck Russell who at first glance is a slob and without much going for him. However, as the film goes on, we learn that Uncle Buck does indeed have a heart. The film really is about a guy who looks like the type of man you would keep your family away from but who is in fact a guy with a heart of gold.

I recommend Uncle Buck to anyone who fancies watching a nice simple little film for the whole family to enjoy. And watch out for the scene with the drunken clown on the doorstep!
FiLmCrAzY
½ March 29, 2008
exceellant funny great old time movie
Chiefilms
½ March 6, 2008
In my opinion, John Candy at his funniest, Culkin classic.
January 15, 2008
Saw it a long, long time ago.
CloudStrife84
½ May 2, 2007
Simple, yet pretty fun story. Director John Hughes is definitely a big part of the reason to what made the 80's so great, in having gifted us quite a bundle of memorable comedies (Planes, Trains and Automobiles being my all-time favourite). Uncle Buck is far from Hughes' best, but it did have its moments, mostly thanks to its colorful front figure, the always-great John Candy, whose tragic passing in 1994 was a huge loss indeed to the world of comedy. While he may be gone, we can be glad that his movies lives on and will continue to entertain people for a long time to come.
½ October 1, 2007
Classic comedy. John Candy never fails to bring up a laugh. Everyone should see this one.
puffchunk
½ September 28, 2007
Pretty funny for family comedy
July 14, 2007