63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

90% Outlander: Season 1

Under the Skin Reviews

Edward B

September 21, 2014
The reality is that it's a polarizing film. Those that turned it off halfway through are completely justified in doing so. It's not for everyone, even those with good movie taste. So when I say that Under the Skin is a virtually flawless film, a masterpiece of sci-fi, horror, and filmmaking in general, this is an opinion I know that not everyone will share. The shooting style adds uniqueness, realism, and depth to the scenario and I thought it was astoundingly brilliant. The music is eerie. The imagery is haunting. I love this movie because it reminds me of the days when Hollywood made unconventional blockbusters. It shows a side of Scarlett that we have never seen before (and I'm not talking about her being full nude, I'm talking about her performance). This is a film that has a lot of emotion while not exactly expressing it. It feels raw. And it takes chances.
I was fascinated from the opening frame. Yes, it's a weird movie. But it's one of those weird movies I will revisit over the years. And yet, I can't recommend this film to everyone. Even for the most open minded of audiences, the film can be off putting. I just don't consider that a bad thing.
Carlos M

August 18, 2014
A harrowing and intensely atmospheric science fiction of seductive visuals and powerful dissonant music, suggesting thought-provoking ideas and meanings about what lies underneath the appearances and what makes us humans, including fear, melancholy and emptiness.
Apeneck F

March 28, 2014
Easy with time, and methodically (it does take awhile), yet ultimately interestingly, this film looks in on that old adage about travel broadening the mind as a visitor to a foreign locale (Scotland), only there on business, finds herself beginning to pick up some of the local customs against even her own will.
Scarlett Johansson solidly continues her climb to Hollywood's upper reaches by taking on this indie introspection on the complicit danger when staying anywhere foreign too long.
Go native.
garyX
garyX

March 27, 2014
An alien engaged in a process of capturing and cataloguing human beings embarks on a journey to understand what it means to be human. Scarlett Johansson flexes her indie credentials in this low budget British film that does its utmost to resist the pigeon hole. Part dark sci-fi, part metaphorical human drama, the first act is Invasion Of The Body Snatchers by David Lynch and the second a kind of Cronenberg-esque reinterpretation of Starman. Under The Skin attempts to be a mirror held up to humanity, inviting the viewer to re-examine what it is to be human and how we perceive each other. Johansson's alien is initially unquestioning in her role, using her appearance as a honey trap to entice an assortment of all-too-willing men into her collection. But when she encounters a man suffering from a physical deformity who needs and experiences genuine affection, she undergoes a catharsis that leads her to begin a journey of self discovery. The finale is a meditation on sexual identity and self when this newly learned feeling of intimacy actually means something and suddenly becomes something of value not to be violated or taken from her. A cynic may point out that the plot is little more than one of those scenes in Star Trek when a soft-focussed alien hottie in a beehive says to Shatner "What is this Earth thing you call love...?" and it does share Crononberg's penchant for cold detachment meaning that the story fails to engage on an emotional level. However some striking imagery and an interesting and thought provoking script makes Under The Skin transcend the limitations of its genre to create something rather unique.
Spencer S

April 6, 2014
Critically this film did very well thanks to veiled symbolism, stunning visual effects, and the wonky background music, inspired by its alien protagonist. This film was very loosely adapted from the novel of the same name, and remains deliberately murky throughout, relying more on its visual aesthetic than its plot. We do not know the name of our heroine, or why she is doing what she does, but it's very clear from what we see onscreen that she is otherworldly, misanthropic, and wants to integrate into our society; or at least emphasizes with it. Johansson's performance is nearly wordless, and often she plays the alien as a seductive and yet bland protagonist. The final third of the film is the only section where we see any character development, or any plot development for that matter, and by the end there are a lot of questions left unanswered. Tonally it hits its mark, and the visuals are simply astounding, making it very easy for me to speculate that sci-fi could veer even further towards this norm in the coming years. As a whole I found much of this to be uneven and incredibly uncomfortable to watch, merely for the fact that the events are intentionally misconfigured to alienate the audience. I am both fascinated by the way this story was constructed, and left sullen by the fact that there was no story to begin with.
Liam G

March 8, 2014
My thoughts on 'Under the Skin' somewhat reflect its lead character: beautiful to look at, but what makes it fascinating is what you find within.
vieras e

August 3, 2014
This film is abstract, slow-paced, bizarre, and altogether interesting. This is no Species. But I had such high expectations and, unfortunately, it doesn't quite live up to them. I can see Under the Skin being frustrating for those who require explanations, for this film offers none.

When I read Michel Faber's book, it haunted me for weeks. In this film they have stripped away much of the plot, leaving only the bare essentials. You could say that the same applies to the dialogue and the score as well, the latter of which is masterfully sparse and eerie.

The fact that most of the men are non-actors and the conversations unscripted adds a startling sense of realism to the film, the likes of which I have never seen in a sci-fi or horror film before. The surreality is still always there, gnawing at the back of your head.

I cannot believe there are people out there who complain that "nothing happens" whenever Isserley - or Laura, as she is apparently called in this film - lures her victims to their demise, because for me, those were the most intense moments in the entire film.
Joseph B

August 2, 2014
Eh... it gets a bit monotonous after a while.
Dan S

July 30, 2014
An indescribably odd surreal acid trip of a movie concerning an alien (Scarlett Johansson) who comes to Earth, in Glasgow, Scotland to be precise, and proceeds to seduce men back to her place so that they can be swallowed into a vast pool of black liquid. What sounds like a bad monster movie from the 50's is anything but, as director Jonathan Glazier combines the likes of Kubrick, Lynch, and Von Trier to create one beast of a movie about sex, society, and perhaps most importantly, beauty in simple things. The performance by Johansson is perhaps the greatest of her stellar career, as she creates a character that can seem utterly lifeless and devoid of any basic human emotions one minute, to charming and irresistible the next moment. This is without question one of the weirdest films I have ever viewed, and one that I struggled to figure out if I completely admired or despised. The fact that this is such a polarizing picture, combined with the subtle messages that can be easily lost amidst the dreamlike nature and atmosphere it possesses during its running time, convinced me that this is truly a great film. It will get under your skin, and stay there long after, and for that reason, this movie does what it aims to do.
Kevin C

July 30, 2014
idk
feminist sci-fi?
art house b-movie?
someone said something about this being the ultimate film about loneliness?

BUT ABOVE ALL

it was a discombobulating sensual experience like few others
Josh L

April 30, 2014
One of the most unique and engaging movies I've seen in years, Under the Skin is not for everyone. The film is deliberately paced and slowly reveals its simple, but utterly engrossing plot until the last moment. Scarlet Johansson gives an excellent performance. She is the only real actor/actress in the entire movie and carries it on her shoulders. There's sparse dialogue here and there throughout and its incredibly interesting to watch the interactions between characters and Scarlet. It gives the film a sense of verisimilitude that would otherwise be lacking in an unrealistic science fiction story. There's not much else to say without giving vital information away, but if you like thoughtful and potent science fictions films that are genuinely creepy and don't mind a little bit of a slog, this is absolutely worth watching. It kept me thinking long after the credits stopped rolling.
KJ P

July 8, 2014
Bizarre and enthralling are two of the best words to describe this spectacle. Notice how I do not use the word film here, because it is much more than that. The filmmakers behind this film are almost too smart, hiding the actually plot in the back of your mind as you watch engaging visuals. As we follow a woman who is seducing men, you really think the film is going to get even darker by the end, and it does, but definitely not in the way you would expect. "Under the Skin" is s surprisingly unnerving feat that I would recommend to any film fanatic out there, but I do not think it will appeal to anyone who is not willing to think hard about what they are watching. Scarlett Johanssen is fantastic and I actually felt dirty watching this picture. With breathtaking visuals and a very clever way of telling this story, "Under the Skin" is one of my favourite films of 2014.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

June 29, 2014
Brilliant Science Fiction dramatic thriller, Under The Skin is a well crafted film that boasts some stunning performances and has a very good concept, and story. In the lead role is Scarlett Johansson, who has improved a lot in recent years. Here she delivers one of her strongest performances of her career, and it really compliments the eerie, dark tone of the film. This terrific science fiction, and like The Machine, is a creative and memorable addition to the genre where a filmmaker takes a somewhat simplistic idea and makes it into something truly wonderful and entertaining. With Under The Skin we have a movie that works very well due to exceptional direction, acting and storytelling. The result is impressive and satisfying. This is a film that is effective in how it sets things up, and if you love a deeply detailed picture that keeps you o9n the edge of your seat right up to the very end, then you might want to give this film a view. This is a well crafted affair that takes risks, reinvents the genre and is a film that delivers a good two hours of solid entertainment, and with a blistering performance by Johansson, Under The Skin is an accomplished genre film that will surely delight genre fans. Like I said, this is a film that is dark, atmospheric and sometimes eerie, and it makes the film what it is. I enjoy a good science fiction film, and this is among the most memorable genre films in recent memory. The film isn't flawless, but it's smart enough to offer something new and intricate and will appeal to viewers looking for a well acted, plotted picture to grab your attention.
c0up
c0up

June 27, 2014
'Under the Skin'. Singular, seductive, striking sci-fi. Wow to the score, cinematography and Johansson's all-consuming presence.
366weirdmovies
366weirdmovies

April 23, 2014
Disguised as a human female, an alien seduces (and "collects") lonely males in Scotland. The story drags at times, especially in the final act, but the hallucinatory scenes are elegantly trippy and well worth the price of admission. Scarlett Johansson's nude scenes don't hurt.
William S

March 30, 2014
10 years ago Jonathan Glazer dared to be different and gave us the criminally underrated masterpiece Birth.
It's been a long wait for his follow-up but I'm so utterly overjoyed that there's no sign of compromise and he has gone one step further.
Under the Skin is one of the boldest and most original British films in decades. A long drawn out gasp of a film that seduces and teases and infuriates in equal measure. Depending on your cinephile bent, it's abstract narrative, long takes and ambiguous heroine will either have you in spine-tingling raptures or impatiently scratching your head come the closing shots.
After two days I can't stop obsessing over it and can't wait to watch it again.