Box Office Guru Wrapup: Underworld Awakens in #1 Spot

Summary

Three new action films attacked the North American box office but the futuristic vampire thriller Underworld: Awakening and the World War II-set fighter pilot pic Red Tails led the way with each generating a solid debut. The modern-day assassin flick Haywire was met with more modest results as was the nationwide expansion of the Tom Hanks-Sandra Bullock drama Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close which both settled into the top five. Overall business was affected somewhat by snowstorms in the midwest and east and Sunday grosses are expected to take a hit from the NFL conference championship games, especially male-skewing action flicks. But the marketplace showed remarkable growth over last year when the box office was in a downturn with weak films. Back to Article

Comments

The.Watcher

The Watcher

Meh. Nothing really worth seeing. Might check out Haywire when it comes to BD.

Jan 22 - 02:43 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

I'm waiting for The Artist to start playing near me and if I have nothing going on next weekend, I would like to see Red Tails. I think next week's champion will be The Grey or One For the Money. Man on A Ledge will probably make as much money as Haywire and The Descendants starts expanding but I don't think it'll become a blockbuster. However, George Clooney always seems to attract audiences.

Jan 22 - 02:53 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

Did anyone notice that on the homepage, the article reads, "Underworld: Evolution Gets $25m start"? "Evolution" was the second film! This one is called "Awakening"

Jan 22 - 03:38 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

Does it really matter? All these pieces of shit are interchangeable with one another, anyway.

Jan 22 - 04:12 PM

Noah Kinsey

I don't care if you like those movies or not - but c'mon, don't make statements like that when it's not even true. If you've seen them, you'd know they aren't interchangeable. Watcher, you're better than that.

Jan 22 - 05:27 PM

Justin D.

Justin D.

No offense Noah but they are all kinda the same movie. To be honest I'm over the whole vampire craze. Either they're ass kicking goths, or sparkly angst ridden emos. Why can't vampires be monsters again, the forces of evil that mankind must stand up against and destroy? The Underworld films seem to rinse and repeat the same plot elements over and over again.

Jan 23 - 08:50 AM

Noah Kinsey

How many of the Underworld movies have you seen, Justin?

Jan 23 - 09:50 AM

Janson Jinnistan

The third one was the only rehash, and cheapened the whole story and style. The first two (like "Matrix") seemed to be pointed in the right direction.

Jan 23 - 01:55 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

Noah, they are all exactly the same. Same camera angles, same set design, same crappy slow-mo action scenes. A hot actress in tight leather, crappy CGI werewolves... it's exactly the same.

Jan 23 - 06:43 PM

Noah Kinsey

So are the Lord of the Rings all the same? They have the same CGI company, same set pieces/style, same costume design, same score. Seriously, the reasons you gave make no sense. No shit they are going to have consistency when it comes to the lycan design or similar set pieces (which are NOT the same - so I'm assuming you've only seen one). They are creating a world where this story could exist. If you are going to fault the Underworld movies for yours reasons listed, you have to fault every other movie series - including Harry Potter and Star Wars.

Jan 24 - 09:03 AM

fullmetal_medji

John Reese

An A+ CinemaScore for Underworld: Awakening and a D+ CinemaScore for Haywire. WTF?!

Jan 22 - 02:54 PM

Maikeru Kun

Maikeru Kun

lol, no, you misunderstood. Redtails got an A+ cinemscore, Underworld got an A-

Jan 23 - 05:47 AM

dudemeister

dude meister

Ah CinemaScore. We meet again. *sigh, I'm reminded yet again of audiences' awful taste,

Jan 22 - 02:59 PM

Noah Kinsey

I feel like a broken record, but the CinemaScore has NOTHING to do with the audience's taste. Nada. Zip. It's the metric that gauges how the film meets the audience's EXPECTATION. I was worried about Haywire for just this reason.

Jan 22 - 05:25 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

Smart words. CinemaScore has absolutely nothing in common with the audience's taste.

Jan 22 - 05:44 PM

Lenny M.

Lenny Monroe

My friend, you just made the smartest statement up here.

Jan 22 - 07:21 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Agreed. The reason Rango, Drive, and now Haywire all got such low Cinemascores was because they weren't what audiences were expecting (and a lot of the blame can be put on the marketing) However, I question just how realible the Cinemascores are. After all, Rango and Drive both got awful scores and yet their holds were okay, not great but not bad either. By contrast The Hangover 2 which got pretty good score fell pretty hard in it second weekend. It seems unless a film has really high score (A or A+) the Cinemascore is very unreliable in predicting how a film will hold.

Jan 23 - 03:21 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Am I the only person who likes films that give me the UNEXPECTED?

Jan 23 - 08:29 AM

Doc.Bamf

Dominic Savarese

idk. Would that be Iron Man "unexpected" [good] or The Human Centipede "unexpected" [bad...still throwing up]?

Jan 23 - 01:50 PM

Janson Jinnistan

That would be you 'unexpectedly' believing that "Human Centipede" was worth your expectations in the first place.

Jan 23 - 01:52 PM

Francesco F.

Jacob Smith

There is something wrong with cinemascore because how the fuck did Underworld get an A- while Haywire got a D+? This is like what happened with Rango and Drive last year they both got a C-... I don't know if it's because audiences don't like Artsy type films or because they have bad taste. How the hell did Soul Surfer get an A+ and Transformers get an A last year?

Jan 22 - 03:24 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

Jan 22 - 03:38 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

Jan 22 - 04:12 PM

Jan 22 - 05:27 PM

Justin D.

Justin D.

Jan 23 - 08:50 AM

Noah Kinsey

How many of the Underworld movies have you seen, Justin?

Jan 23 - 09:50 AM

Jan 23 - 01:55 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

Jan 23 - 06:43 PM

Jan 24 - 09:03 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Congratulations for "Red Tails" on GP. I didn't make it to the theater this week, but I'm glad it sold the most tickets and had the (barely) highest cinemascore. It'll be all the more disappointing if it does end up being kinda awful, but I've still got hope.

It looks like the curse of "Drive" has actually struck "Haywire". The cinemascore indicates to me that the barrage of dumb, action-heavy cliche-clips they used for the TV ads backfired when people got to the theater expecting "Femme Transporter" or "White Columbiana" and ended up with something far more intricate, thoughtful and original. Take some solace in the art-house metric that "Haywire" did manage a per-screen average slightly higher than "The Artist". I still haven't seen that last one either. I'll need to before I sour on the gimmi...I mean 'idea' of it. You see, there was a guy named Mel. Not the fiesty aussie. Mel Brookes, and he did a movie subtly titled "Silent Movie" not long before a fellow named Steve Martin did a noir-hash called "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid" and that was quite a bit before the 90s saw a small sub-genre of silent film recreations like Peter Jackson's "Forgotten Silver" and E. Elias Merhige's "Begotten", which also brings up the matter of whether taking the dialogue out of "Eraserhead" would make that less effective (and I think not), and before you know it, making a silent film in the 21st Century still doesn't sound like much more than a melodramatic gimmick. It is obviously goose-liver for the self-applauding Hollywood mythmakers. It's hard not to get prejudicial over these aspects, overlooking whether it has any heart, or Dujardin's performance, or whether the use of Herrmann's "Vertigo" score amounts to cheap grift. All of those things will have to weigh out with an actual viewing, which I hope to do before the Oscars (at least).

Jan 22 - 04:03 PM

Noah Kinsey

I SO called it last week when we talked about the marketing for Haywire. Wow.

Jan 22 - 05:31 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Yep. I think some of the audience would have PREFERRED Cynthia Rothrock! (I can't believe I spelled 'Mel Brookes' instead of 'Brooks'. I even checked 'Dujardin' to make sure I got that right! Sorry, Yogurt.)

Jan 22 - 05:57 PM

Lenny M.

Lenny Monroe

Steven Soderbergh's last couple of movies haven't been marketed well, which is why they fail with audiences and result in low grossing numbers. Look at Contagion, which came out last September. People went into that thinking it was Quarantine meets 28 Days/Weeks Later and when it turned out to be a more focused and complex film being less about random infected people running around infection others and more about the ACTUAL SCIENCE behind a virus it put them off. The same thing happened with Haywire. If you're going to market a smart movie, MARKET A SMART MOVIE, not make it look like something it's not and leave audiences pissed off with you.

Jan 22 - 06:56 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I loathe marketing and avoid it, but neither I nor anyone I know had the impression "Contagion" was horror (like "Quarantine") or had zombies (ala 28 Weeks Later). Maybe you saw different trailers than I did. I got more of an impression that it was closer to the style of "Andromeda Strain", and I think it handled those waters of drama/suspense very nicely.

Jan 22 - 09:11 PM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

Agree, I've never heard of anyone thinking it was that kind of movie, either. They don't assemble a cast with people like Winslet, Damon, Law, Fishburne, Paltrow etc for a zombie horror movie.

Jan 23 - 05:53 AM

Ralph

Ralph Myers

What's so smart about Haywire, it's not exactly a thinker...

Jan 22 - 11:47 PM

David EBrock

David EBrock

your point is...people have done homage films before? yes,it is not the first...The Artist is a great homage film. To silent movies,I suppose,but I felt that it was an homage to all B&W films in the way it was all shot...see it if you like old movies,if not you will probably be bored.

Jan 27 - 11:19 AM

Janson Jinnistan

I'm saying that being an homage to 'older movies' or silent movies or whatever simply isn't enough. Part of the reason is that I do like 'old films' enough to know that there were a LOT of different kinds and styles of B&W and silent films. "The Artist" strikes me as the kind of film that would appeal to people who don't know much about actual silent films but it fits all the shallow preconceptions. It's looks like ersatz nostalgia. Like I said, I will see it. But don't give me this 'old films' crap.

Jan 27 - 11:39 AM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

Jan 22 - 04:12 PM

Jan 22 - 05:27 PM

Justin D.

Justin D.

Jan 23 - 08:50 AM

Noah Kinsey

How many of the Underworld movies have you seen, Justin?

Jan 23 - 09:50 AM

Jan 23 - 01:55 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

Jan 23 - 06:43 PM

Jan 24 - 09:03 AM

Jacob H.

Jacob Holmes

I saw Beauty and the Beast this weekend. Honestly, if I hadn't seen Avatar in 3D, I would say that this was hands down one of the best 3D pictures I've ever seen. It was like I was seeing the movie for the first time again. I'm a little disappointed in the box office results but Disney is still making a profit on it. And besides, Finding Nemo 3D is probably going to be really successful when it comes out.

Jan 22 - 04:18 PM

Jan 22 - 05:25 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

Jan 22 - 05:44 PM

Lenny M.

Lenny Monroe

My friend, you just made the smartest statement up here.

Jan 22 - 07:21 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Jan 23 - 03:21 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Am I the only person who likes films that give me the UNEXPECTED?

Jan 23 - 08:29 AM

Doc.Bamf

Dominic Savarese

Jan 23 - 01:50 PM

Jan 23 - 01:52 PM

Kathryne Cui

Kathryne Cui

does anyone trust cinemascore?

Jan 22 - 05:26 PM

Jan 22 - 05:27 PM

Noah Kinsey

I enjoy the Underworld series. It's fun, stylistic, and escapist entertainment. Awakening was another solid entry in the series - so I'm not surprised with it meeting people's expectations (as evident by the CinemaScore). That said, if you didn't like the others, I doubt this would attract new fans.

Jan 22 - 05:30 PM

Noah Kinsey

I SO called it last week when we talked about the marketing for Haywire. Wow.

Jan 22 - 05:31 PM

Jan 22 - 05:57 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

I saw Red Tails and I liked it a lot, much more than the critics did. And I doubt that the reason is because I'm African-American, because I went into the theater with an open mind. Some of you will disagree with me, but to tell you the truth, I couldn't care in the slightest. No offense.

Jan 22 - 05:41 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

Jan 22 - 05:44 PM

Jan 22 - 05:57 PM

v-alexander-the-great

victor alexander

Really? At 49%, Extremely Close is still hoping for Academy nods for Best Picture? HAHAHA.

Jan 22 - 06:08 PM

It worked for Nine.

Jan 22 - 07:59 PM

Otoniel Gonzalez

Otoniel Gonzalez

Nine wasnt nominated for Best Pic at the academy awards. It was the Globes

Jan 23 - 09:50 AM

Noah Kinsey

I was making a joke - more or less. While they didn't get an Oscar nom for Best Picture, they DID get nominated for some of the best awards money can buy - some of them even before it was released theatrically.

Jan 23 - 12:36 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 250 Comic-Con Costumes!

<em>Let's Be Cops</em>
Let's Be Cops

Video: Riggle, Key, and Wayans Jr.

Box Office