Underworld: Evolution Reviews

May 19, 2012
"Underworld: Evolution" is just another generic sequel. It picks up right where "Underworld" ends, with Marcus(Tony Curran) awakening. Marcus then begins to hunt Selene(Kate Beckinsale) and her Lycon/Vampire hybrid lover Michael(Scott Speedman). There is some vampire vs werewolf action, but this is more of a vampire vs vampire movie. More action and gore(some actually very good gore scenes), and less story. There is some secrets revealed about their pasts, and the death of a couple key characters, but overall not an improvement over the first one. Sequels are rarely better, so it's not a big surprise that it comes up short. Still worth a watch if your a fan of the first one or horror movies, just keep expectations in check.
YodaMasterJedi
March 28, 2007
three stars
April 23, 2007
04/08/2011 (ONLINE)

Super cool! Not many sequels can compliment their original films but this for me certainly did. Awesome stuff, vampires, werewolves and Michael the coolest hybrid.

The action is there, the artistry looks fantastic the whole film is my kind of flick in this genre. Cool actors and a awesome lead actress to bring this story to life and giving me an exiting 2 hour break from reality.

Watching this again has me swinging for the 4th installment and I cannot wait till I drench myself in another tale from the "Underworld".
DreamExtractor
½ March 27, 2011
A very horrible movie, they focus so much on action, that they fail at everything else. I believe now that they just make up crap as they go along.
November 28, 2009
Underworld Evolution does a really great thing that not too many sequels do, it just picks up right where the first one left off. We see the repercussions of everything that happened and get to see a lot of new characters and are introduced to knew background as a result. In many ways, this is superior to the first movie in that it just has such a great sense of pacing and timing. Every scene has its purpose and all of the throw-away set pieces just sort've vanish. Kate Beckinsale's Seline is even more cool this time around and seems to be doing more and more outlandish stunts and gunplay. We also get to see a little bit more of Michael and why he's such an important element to the overall story. However, it's the vengeful Marcus who becomes the main focus of the plot. His unwillingness to stop and destroy any chance of happiness is like watching a tanker truck plow into a barn; it's going to get through one way or another. Now for this sequel, there was a conscious effort to make it part of what I assume will be a three act story eventually. The end of this movie ends with one great finale and the promise of something much bigger in the future. This is a great series and one that most people seem to enjoy for the right reasons. It's a movie that doesn't talk down to its audience, but creates logical situations and plot devices. This sequel had an even better looking design and made you feel as if you were right in the action.
March 14, 2011
Evolution is the second film in the Underworld series and is definitely a better film all around compared to the first film. The plot in this film is very exciting and constantly developing. The effects in this movie are improved dramatically from the first film which really helps keep the many action scenes from loosing any of their intensity. I really liked how the story picks up right where the first film left off and hopefully in the next Underworld film (apart from rise of the lycans) they will also continue the story.
½ July 18, 2007
High production values,good writing,and an excellent cast work to make this worthy series a worthwhile addition to any everyman's home library.
TheGame90
February 13, 2011
It starts off kind of slow...but it gets better towards the second half. Not as good as the first one. But still okay. A little darker lightning than the first...I don't approve that.
garyX
March 11, 2007
Carrying on directly from the first film, Beckinsale and Speedman are on the run from the first vampire, a virtually unkillable uber-vamp who wants to unleash his twin brother and uber-wolf on the world. Let's face it, the plot to this film is all a bit irrelevant really. It's all about flashy visuals and non-stop action to the point it resembles an albeit super-cool videogame. There's so much eye candy it made my teeth hurt (not the least of which is Ms Beckinsale herself of course) and the action is pretty much non-stop to the point where characters were introduced and immediately killed off again once they'd served their purpose. But I did like it's unpretentious, no-nonsense approach that lacked the self absorbed pomposity that ruined the first film and the action is far more entertaining and less overly stylised. It is of course just another Matrix rip-off but I actually enjoyed it rather more than I did Reloaded, as well as the original Underworld for that matter. OK if you're in the mood for some mindless action but it's still not as good as Blade or Blade 2. It's a lot better than Blade Trinity though...
TheDudeLebowski65
February 6, 2011
Considering that the first Underworld film was a highly entertaining blend of action and horror, one could hope that the sequel, Underworld: Evolution would be a better film than the first. Alas, it is not. The film ventures the same territory as the first, but lingers on sloppy, dull ideas that seem to be forced and totally developed. What I mean is the film seemed rushed and the ideas though interesting seemed tired and uninspired. The film looks great with gothic overtones, much like the first one, but the film suffers from a bad direction in story. The film takes a look at the origin of the blood feud between Vampires and Lycans, which is a cool idea, but fails because like I've said, the film feels like its rushed a bit simply for the sake of appealing fans of the first one. Underworld: Evolution had enormous potential to be a terrific sequel, instead it's the exact opposite. I remember going in the theatre with high hopes, as I thoroughly enjoyed the first one, and came out very disappointed. The film felt too long and after a while I lost interest and kept wishing it was over. One thing that stood out of the first film was the whole back story of it all, boy was it interesting, the detail and the why the Vampires and Lycans waged a 1000 year long war. Truly original. But in this entry, the film was badly written and poorly conceived. The ideas were there but they didn't come to fruition whatsoever. Fans of the first film might be disappointed in this sequel as what made the first sequel so good is omitted for something that doesn't make sense most of the time. Underworld: Evolution is a missed opportunity to have done something great, but unfortunately it wasn't the case. The felt more boring than anything and was practically a rehash of ideas seen from the first film. Instead of elaborating on the ideas and story seen in the first film, we are given essentially the same film with a different tone and mood, and the end result is disappointing. Even if at times it's entertaining, it's fairly mediocre.
LWOODS04
½ April 26, 2009
Loved this movie.. The kids love vampire movies.. So this was a must see in this house..
3niR
½ January 24, 2010
Cool.
bbcfloridabound
October 6, 2009
A good Vampire vs Werewolf movie, its my first movie to watch in the Underworld collection, it will not be my last. Action from start to finish, this would be awesome in blue ray or on a large HDTV with surround sound, me being a poor native American retired navy still have the old school 27 inch standard TV so anyone who wants to donated a new TV get hold of me. You will not fall asleep o this one. Everything about it will keep you on the edge of your seat. 4 stars a buy it now DVD
March 24, 2007
And you were surprised Die Hard 4 was mediocre?
½ June 3, 2009
oh man this is a tremendous turd i mean like really crap crap crap im so sick of vampire movies theyre not scary anymore and fragile little Kate Beckinsale aint helpin!
August 13, 2007
Oh man this starts of brilliantly, the battle is great, dark and medival, after that it just goes down hill, its all over the place and just too confusing. The huge creature played by Tony Curran looks cool and the whole thing is nice and gothic but its nowhere near as good as the first.
FiLmCrAzY
½ September 9, 2007
brilliant i love the vampire sort of movies i like the way differnt movies give there own aspect as to what the vampires can and cant do i love these movies they rock there action packed entertaining and great scene fights
November 2, 2006
I'm not sure what the point of this sequel is. Scenes just happen out of random, neither adding or taking away from the story.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
½ August 15, 2007
"My God. Brother, what have you done?"

This movie continues the saga of war between vampires and werewolves (Lycans). The film traces the beginnings of the ancient feud between the two tribes as Selene (Kate Beckinsale) and Michael (Scott Speedman), the lycan hybrid, try to discover the secrets of their bloodlines. All of this takes them into the battle to end all wars as the immortals must finally face their retribution.

REVIEW
I went into this movie with high hopes, but have to say I was fairly disappointed. The plot was way too straightforward and action was overdone with long drawn out sequences and lots of blood. Any shock value in the fighting was lost early on in the movie. Reminded me more of cop shoot-em-up except with characters dressed up like vampires and werewolves. The general concept, which made the first movie good, is still there, so I still enjoyed it more than most movies I've seen lately. But it could have definitely been better. Kate Beckinsale and her smoking hot costume and piercing blue eyes bring the rating up from a 3 to a 5.