RT Interview: Bill Nighy talks Underworld: Rise of the Lycans

Summary

RT travels to New Zealand onto the set of Underworld: Rise of the Lycans to chat to star Bill Nighy about the complexities of fang wearing etiquette, wet, velvet, 'battle' skirt wearing and his repulsion of his own image. The world of Vampire and Lycan will once again clash with much nashing of teeth and bloody battle, but this time in the form of a prequel. With the release of Underworld: Rise of the Lycans there are a number of familiar faces to be found amongst the warriors, including everyone's favourite thousand year old vampire, Viktor, played by Bill Nighy. Back to Article

Comments

John A.

John Arminio

Anyone in a battle skirt is awesome in my book.

Jan 21 - 04:10 PM

willywonkanobi

Evan Godbold

I like Nighy a lot. He is hilarious.

Jan 21 - 04:29 PM

Hong N.

Hong Nguyen

Looking forward to seeing this... I think it's great they're doing the origin story so we know how the war begins, Lycans watch out...

Jan 21 - 04:40 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Bill Nighy is awesome and I really don't get why he does these movies but hey if he likes them, then good for him. Are they actually screening this for critics? P.S. Rhona Mitra is hot.

Jan 21 - 04:59 PM

jazzebration

Cam Shea

Hilarity, she wrote. Nighy is classic! Me thinks, however, that his policy of not watching these films is quite a sensible one...

Jan 21 - 05:14 PM

NikkiMeagher

Nicola Meagher

This man is GOLD in my books

Jan 21 - 06:50 PM

JUDGE DREDD

idle one kenobi

Wow, Bill Nighy looks like Peter Cushing in both those pics. Great considering Peter Cushing was also the star of so many vampire films.

Maybe he could take on his role as a younger Governer Tarkin in the live action Star Wars TV show?

Jan 21 - 07:24 PM

ebero

Erica Bero

I love the soggy bum comment! Not to mention how creepy he looks in those photos...

Jan 21 - 08:36 PM

Zaraki

Rick V

I don't like these films much anymore, in all honesty. However, i really like Bill Nighy. He's cool, and to me one of the few positive features about this series.

Jan 21 - 11:52 PM

Zaraki

Rick V

Oh, and the part about hissing at people in the hotel was pretty funny :P

Jan 22 - 12:00 AM

pinkincide

jon doe

It'd be pretty cool to have the third installment succeed in spite of Beckinsale jumping ship, and contrary to all expectations. Probably won't happen, but I'm gonna root for it until those low teen tomato ratings dribble in.

I like how excited he is to do the vampire thing even the third time around. I think most actors in his situation would be detached and patronizing (I'm doing it for the kiddies). The guy just keeps being the best part of otherwise lame movies.
*cough* Pirates.

Jan 22 - 01:04 AM

JoeloftheJungle

Joel Adams

Glad he saw Love Actually 'cause that's my favourite of his parts. Shaun of the Dead was pretty good and Pirates was good for a bit but got old quickly. One of my favourite actors for sure, he just makes me smile whenever he shows up in a movie. And he's perfect for Viktor IMHO

Jan 22 - 10:08 AM

Marcus F.

Marcus Frost

I saw Underworld 3 last night and I have to tell you; it's about 100x better than the second one. As good, maybe slightly less than the first. Bill Nighy is the coolest.

Jan 22 - 12:56 PM

caitriona18

Katie Romanski

dear, sweet Bill. How do I love thee? This is just one more way.
I will totally watch anything with him in it no matter how rotten it is. The world is a million times more awesome because he's in it. Bill is priceless. :)

Jan 22 - 02:07 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Probably continues to do these since these were the films where he really got his start as an international star. I like Love Actually better, but admire the loyalty.

Jan 24 - 05:09 PM

Jim N.

Jim N

I think there's no question but that there will be a fourth installment now that the series has finally found its legs. Nighy and Sheen (and the underutilized Grevioux) are the center of gravity in this universe, not Beckinsale and Speedman. I sincerely hope Nighy returns with the enthusiasm and commitment he's shown to the series so far, because, using what they've learned from this iteration, the fourth could easily become a movie for the ages. (Wouldn't that be something? A movie series that gets better--except for the second--as it goes along, rather than worse?)

Jan 26 - 04:08 AM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 250 Comic-Con Costumes!

Critics Consensus