Box Office Guru Preview: Underworld Battles Oscar All-Stars

Summary

Only two new releases hit the North American box office, but in the wake of Academy Award nominations, a handful of contenders take the opportunity to expand nationwide hoping Oscar nods can translate into extra cash. Sony unleashes its franchise thriller Underworld: Rise of the Lycans while Warner Bros. counters with Brendan Fraser's fantasy actioner Inkheart. Back to Article

Comments

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Gotta go out of town this weekend so no movies for me, DAMMIT I GOTTA SEE LYCANS!!! Jk those movies suck. Not much comes out til Coraline. BRING ON WATCHMEN!

Jan 22 - 04:31 PM

vitajex

Mike M

Underworld will pull under 25M this weekend and end with between 40-55M for the run.

Revolutionary Road is going DOWN after getting only a Supp Actor nom. That film will quickly be forgotten and be sold in the $5 bin at Wal-mart in a year.

Button will stay strong and will definitely end over $100M.

When the hell is Brendan Fraser going to do something different? Even 'The Rock' tries to branch out and do new stuff. Fraser hasn't done a none-action movie since Gods and Monsters. And he's funny too! Do some more comedies, for cripes' sake!

Jan 22 - 04:36 PM

A Delicious Pudding

David McMichael

Since Gods and Monsters? Hmm... I feel like there might have been something... um.... oh. Right. Crash.

Jan 22 - 09:38 PM

nate2709

Nate 2709

oooooooooooooh, Inkheart or another terrible Underworld flick (without Beckinsale this time), I guess I'll be doing a lot of reading this weekend.

Jan 22 - 10:09 PM

inactive user

Jared King

A Delicious Pudding beat me to the point. And that's his name, if you don't know that my comment seems crazy!

Anyway, "Inkheart" I predict will be number one. R ratings hurt movies. So does not be screened in advance. Not that reviews will stop fans. And "Watchmen" will make plenty of cash, but "Underworld" dosen't have a following the size of "Watchmen."

vitajex, are you being a little harsh "RR"?

Jan 23 - 12:10 AM

Funkmaster Flex

Phillip Martin

I'm all for actors branching out, but I'm not sure Dwayne Johnson is the best role model (I'm thinking of The Gameplan right now...). I haven't been to the theater since Quantum of Solace, and I've really got the itch to go this weekend. I usually go to see action movies since it doesn't matter to me if I see a drama on a 42" screen or a 100' screen to me. Lycans will probably get my vote this weekend. It's got its issues as all popcorn flicks do, but it has style. Since I don't feel like seeing a whole lot of substance (period piece best picture nominations I'm looking at you), I think I'll tune out and enjoy Rhona Mitra in leather and Bill Nighy in a skirt (felt odd typing that sentance).

Jan 23 - 08:33 AM

inactive user

Jared King

I haven't been to theatres since "The Dark Knight". It's been hard.

Jan 23 - 02:07 PM

Gimy

Gimy Moo

i was on the fence with Underworld until i kept seeing trailers without mitra. eh, snooze. i'll rent it for sure but the trailers weren't all that entertaining. just looks like a dead franchise trying to make a quick buck. no beckinsale and the lead chic who's hot isn't even featured? uh...ok...

Jan 23 - 09:16 AM

Funkmaster Flex

Phillip Martin

I figure the worst that can happen is that it'll make me so mad that I won't see another movie in the theater until Watchmen.

Jan 23 - 10:01 AM

inactive user

Jared King

I haven't been to theatres since "The Dark Knight". It's been hard.

Jan 23 - 02:07 PM

Unbreakable Samurai

Unbreakable Samurai

I actually have to many choices myself, I'm all kinds of happy with all the award movies finally coming to my city. And Inkheart looks like it could actually be alright.

Jan 23 - 09:07 PM

Ethan Hawke's 10 Best Movies

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Pictures of great movie apes

Gone Girl Trailer