Underworld: The Rise of the Lycans Reviews

March 25, 2014
The medieval theme is cool, and so is the action, but the plot is predictable and predictably bad.
Robbanflix
February 14, 2009
The third Underworld movie but this without one the gorgeous Selene (Kate Beckinsale). But there are many other characters/actors back which is always positive. This time the story takes us back long before the first Underworld and focus on Victor and the slave Lucian (Lycan).. along with Sonja (Viktor's daughter). A well worthy sequel or prequel u may say with the same good Underworld feeling. Dark environments , violence with a nice story to learn more from. The first movie are tho best in my opinion then the 2nd and now this 3rd. Perhaps we shall see a 4th in the future.. I wouldn't mind. Enjoy..
½ October 31, 2014
Actors like Michael Sheen are wasted in films like this..
½ September 29, 2014
It is surprisingly good, not bad at all. I mean this is maybe the most sensible in the series yet. It's still generic as expected. But then the story line has the human touch of a vampire flick. Bloody slashes, and gore violence all over. For all the video game enthusiast who wants some vampire gore madness on midnights. This will definitely feed you. Enjoy with or without alcohol required.
September 10, 2014
Sympa! vite vite le 4 faut je me le trouve!
Et le retour de Rhona Mitra^^
February 6, 2009
Vampires! Need I say more!? :D
August 27, 2014
A predictable twist on a villain being a hero and bringing the series full circle.
August 19, 2014
Michael Sheen and Bill Nighy, both great actors, are not enough to overcompensate for the loss of Kate Beckinsale and Scott Speedman, who have made this franchise fun, in a melodramatic kind of way.
½ August 7, 2014
I did quite enjoy aspects of this fantasy horror film. As a prequel to the other two Underworld movies, it expands on the story of the feud between the vampires and werewolves that leads to the eternal war between the creatures. Bill Nighy makes a deliciously camp vampire king and I'm a sucker for a werewolf movie. But, I couldn't help but giggle at Michael Sheen attempting to be the action-hero lead. I really rate him as an actor, one of the best British actors we have currently. But he feels wrong in this kind of role. Seeing him bare chested and oiled up, battling hoards of the undead and in passionate clinches with Rhona Mitra's vampire princess just didn't work for me. I think he was almost trying too hard and taking things far too seriously while unfortunately, looking like Kevin Turvey in a straggly wig. Films like this only work if they are played completely straight or else with a knowing sense of fun. Here, unfortunately, we don't really get either and so we fall between two stools. For me, the second half, with the big scenes and action sequences, felt much better than the first, which was a bit pedestrian and lacking engagement. It's a film with few real surprises and not enough shivers to be anything more than a cartoony horror which is a bit of a shame.
October 30, 2012
This movie is a prequel to the Underworld films, showing the relationship or the aristocratic vampires, the Death Dealers, and their Lycan slaves. A young Lycan will rally his werewolf kin and strike back against their cruel masters. This movie was a good prequel in my opinion, The gore worked in some sense and the end battle was epic.
January 21, 2009
Pretty by the numbers prequel detailing the history of the blood feud between the Lycans and the Vampires. Being that, it was pretty decent at elaborating on a story we already know with nice visuals, Michael Sheen, who's always good, and the lovely Rhona Mitra, the original Lara Croft.
½ July 24, 2014
7/10
interesting prequel
January 24, 2009
gonna go see it, but dont think it'll be the same without kate beckinsale in black leather. mmmmm!
May 31, 2014
This had so much potential.
May 14, 2014
The story and the reason behind u2 and u1 was clear, I loved the texture of the movie, and the Gothic appearance and story line. It was refreshing and thought provoking.
January 20, 2009
<3 these movies. ;)
April 27, 2014
A beautifully gothic spectacle drenched in darkness and lightning, adding atmosphere to the gorgeous, ancient sets that look tremendous making for glossy production value. The style, the purple hues of colour and moonlit lighting tends to have more of an impression over the plot but the story itself is solid, a story of defiance, conflict and betrayal, and this serves superbly as a prequel to the first film.

Kate Beckinsale's sexiness, style, intensity and look dominates the Underworld franchise, so when I heard Rise of The Lycans was without Beckinsale I was skeptical and concerned. Fortunately, Rhona Mitra also has the sexiness, style, lovely accent and edge to hold her own ground, starring at Sonja, the defiant daughter of Viktor. Bill Nighy is scary and convincing as an vampire elder, his eyes glare and I love his style of line delivery, spitting and emphasising. The cast are awesome!

With blood filled action that has bite and power, magnificent special effects and monsters this third entry to the Underworld franchise is totally worth watching and great for fans.
April 26, 2014
Excellent Action + Adventure + Horror Movie.....................................
Excellent Work..........................
April 1, 2014
Part 2. Rhona Mitra. Vampire. Nuff Said
½ January 21, 2009
i hope it's as good as the other two at least. even know we all know the outcome i expect at least one surprise.