An Unfinished Life - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

An Unfinished Life Reviews

May 8, 2012
Mitch Bradley: I know people everywhere that thought they got dealt a bad hand.

"Every secret takes on a life of its own."

An Unfinished Life isn't the most original thing you'll ever see, but it does do a lot of things well. It's well acted, especially by  screen legends Morgan Freeman and Robert Redford. The Wyoming scenery is beautifully shot and the cinematography is amazing. So those are the things I really loved about the film. For the things I didn't now. Jennifer Lopez is miss cast if you ask me. She doesn't fit the role and is a mediocre, if sexy, actress at best. The other thing I didn't really care for is how the story took the easy way out to man times. There seemed to be some really interesting directions the film could have gone, but they were skipped every time for a more predictable option.

Overall I still enjoyed the film as a whole. There were some truly beautiful moments and some occasionally funny ones. This isn't a movie that is overly important, nor will it ever be a classic; but what it is, is a solid piece of filmmaking. Could it have been better? Sure, but as it is; it isn't too bad.
January 20, 2011
A good drama that indicates the significance of forgiveness, and how it can be tough than vengeance sometimes.

Einar (Robert Redford) is the father-in-law of Jean (Jennifer Lopez) whose husband dies in a car accident while she was driving. She leaves her husband's house soon after the incident, but returns years later with her daughter when she needs a hiding place. Einar finds it difficult to forgive her, but he's fond of his grand-daughter. The movie displays how each character deal with their pain. Einar's friend Mitch's (Morgan Freeman) parallel track, also emphasizing the power of forgiveness, is equally good.

While it's a bit slow, it's not boring. The humor at regular intervals also makes it lively. Morgan Freeman gives an incredible performance as usual, while Robert Redford and Jennifer Lopez also live their character amazingly and give a natural performance. The girl playing Jean's daughter is also terrific.

Check it out if you wanna see a good family drama displaying the aspects of healing, redemption and forgiveness; and if you've patience.
July 20, 2009
Cast: Jennifer Lopez, Robert Redford, Becca Gardner, Damian Lewis, Morgan Freeman, Josh Lucas, Camryn Manheim

Director:Lasse Hallström

Summary: When her husband dies, grieving widow Jean Gilkyson (Jennifer Lopez) moves herself and her daughter, Griff (Becca Gardner), into the Wyoming home of her estranged father-in-law, steely rancher Einar (Robert Redford), even though they don't get along. Einar can't get over the death of his only son, while Jean struggles to make sense of her new life.

My Thoughts: "Just a good little film. Had a good cast, some with better acting then others. It's a movie about acceptance and forgiveness. Becca Gardner was the highlight of the film. She really did a great job. Enjoyed watching Freeman and Redford together on screen, thought they were great together in this. Simple film, nothing to special. But worth a look at."
December 15, 2009
Every secret takes on a life of its own!
January 4, 2009
An Unfinished Life treads ground far from unknown, and is by no means unpredictable. However, it is still a wonderful and heartfelt film. This film features a performance by Robert Redford that is probably one of his best, quite simply because he plays a character I've never seen him play before: a grizzled, haggard old man who is bitter and anger, but who does eventually change his ways. His performance, along with all of the others (yes, even Jennifer Lopez's, a role that is also one of the best of her career) are superb, as is the always unique direction by Hallstroem and the great cinematography. This film, as stated earlier, provides no new insight, but is entertaining and enthralling nonetheless, and sometimes, that is all that is needed.
½ January 30, 2007
A magnificent film. It's powerful, heartfelt and completely excellent. Director, Lasse Halstorm has crafted another remarkable and compelling drama. Robert Redford is astonishing, his best performance yet. Morgan Freeman is amazing as always. One of his finest performances. Redford and Freeman together in a film is beyond great, they're chemistry shines in every scene they are in. Jennifer Lopez is teriffic, she gives a performance to be proud of. Giving her character heart and emotion. A truly outstanding, remarkable, deeply moving and unforgettable piece of work. A movie that grabs you and dosent let go. Absolutely superb and breathtaking. A masterpiece.
May 26, 2006
Well... I appreciate J-Lo performances in this movie.. Even still the same, at least she gave an improve in her acting...
July 8, 2007
I loved everything about this movie EXCEPT Jennifer Lopez,she was COMPLETELY miscast. Everyone else had good chemistry and apart from it being a little slow,it was a great movie.
½ May 25, 2008
Jennifer Lopez's first really good movie.
½ December 10, 2007
A good film.
½ August 22, 2007
This movie was actually pretty interesting. Mitch (Morgan Freeman's character) had the most positive attitude after all he had been through, and it was very inspiring.
June 2, 2007
Redford, Freeman & Lucas deserve all of the glory for this film. I'll never be impressed with JLo's attempts at imitating a southern accent, or her acting whatsoever. She's better off marrying ugly latin singers and shaking her over-sized (fat) ass in thug poser videos.
½ June 22, 2006
I wish Lopez weren't in this film.
January 4, 2012
I got so much more out of this movie than I expected to. I never find Jennifer Lopez to be all that believable, and usually her movies are mindless fluff. Not the case at all with this film. It's hard-hitting and well acted, and beautifully shot. I was really impressed at how good this movie was.
March 10, 2012
interesting and entertaining. story is appealing. I am still impressed with Jennifer Lopez as an actress.
June 9, 2011
Lasse Hallström is one of my favorite directors. And as with all Hallström's movies, this is a deep, pure and sincere film. The cast is already quite experienced. Lopez's performance is not even embarrassing. lol.
½ November 23, 2008
Very touching and well done. Robert Redford and Morgan Freeman always a pleasure to watch...story is something for all of us to consider for ones that we have lost and can't find our way to move on with living...
October 16, 2008
I'm not big on drama and I'm not a J-lo fan at all - This film was well put together and the screen presence of the cast is convincing and pointed.