An Unfinished Life - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

An Unfinished Life Reviews

blkbomb
May 8, 2012
Mitch Bradley: I know people everywhere that thought they got dealt a bad hand.

"Every secret takes on a life of its own."

An Unfinished Life isn't the most original thing you'll ever see, but it does do a lot of things well. It's well acted, especially by  screen legends Morgan Freeman and Robert Redford. The Wyoming scenery is beautifully shot and the cinematography is amazing. So those are the things I really loved about the film. For the things I didn't now. Jennifer Lopez is miss cast if you ask me. She doesn't fit the role and is a mediocre, if sexy, actress at best. The other thing I didn't really care for is how the story took the easy way out to man times. There seemed to be some really interesting directions the film could have gone, but they were skipped every time for a more predictable option.

Overall I still enjoyed the film as a whole. There were some truly beautiful moments and some occasionally funny ones. This isn't a movie that is overly important, nor will it ever be a classic; but what it is, is a solid piece of filmmaking. Could it have been better? Sure, but as it is; it isn't too bad.
January 20, 2011
A good drama that indicates the significance of forgiveness, and how it can be tough than vengeance sometimes.

Einar (Robert Redford) is the father-in-law of Jean (Jennifer Lopez) whose husband dies in a car accident while she was driving. She leaves her husband's house soon after the incident, but returns years later with her daughter when she needs a hiding place. Einar finds it difficult to forgive her, but he's fond of his grand-daughter. The movie displays how each character deal with their pain. Einar's friend Mitch's (Morgan Freeman) parallel track, also emphasizing the power of forgiveness, is equally good.

While it's a bit slow, it's not boring. The humor at regular intervals also makes it lively. Morgan Freeman gives an incredible performance as usual, while Robert Redford and Jennifer Lopez also live their character amazingly and give a natural performance. The girl playing Jean's daughter is also terrific.

Check it out if you wanna see a good family drama displaying the aspects of healing, redemption and forgiveness; and if you've patience.
LWOODS04
July 20, 2009
Cast: Jennifer Lopez, Robert Redford, Becca Gardner, Damian Lewis, Morgan Freeman, Josh Lucas, Camryn Manheim

Director:Lasse Hallström

Summary: When her husband dies, grieving widow Jean Gilkyson (Jennifer Lopez) moves herself and her daughter, Griff (Becca Gardner), into the Wyoming home of her estranged father-in-law, steely rancher Einar (Robert Redford), even though they don't get along. Einar can't get over the death of his only son, while Jean struggles to make sense of her new life.

My Thoughts: "Just a good little film. Had a good cast, some with better acting then others. It's a movie about acceptance and forgiveness. Becca Gardner was the highlight of the film. She really did a great job. Enjoyed watching Freeman and Redford together on screen, thought they were great together in this. Simple film, nothing to special. But worth a look at."
ScoopOnline
December 15, 2009
Every secret takes on a life of its own!
cosmo313
January 4, 2009
An Unfinished Life treads ground far from unknown, and is by no means unpredictable. However, it is still a wonderful and heartfelt film. This film features a performance by Robert Redford that is probably one of his best, quite simply because he plays a character I've never seen him play before: a grizzled, haggard old man who is bitter and anger, but who does eventually change his ways. His performance, along with all of the others (yes, even Jennifer Lopez's, a role that is also one of the best of her career) are superb, as is the always unique direction by Hallstroem and the great cinematography. This film, as stated earlier, provides no new insight, but is entertaining and enthralling nonetheless, and sometimes, that is all that is needed.
½ January 30, 2007
A magnificent film. It's powerful, heartfelt and completely excellent. Director, Lasse Halstorm has crafted another remarkable and compelling drama. Robert Redford is astonishing, his best performance yet. Morgan Freeman is amazing as always. One of his finest performances. Redford and Freeman together in a film is beyond great, they're chemistry shines in every scene they are in. Jennifer Lopez is teriffic, she gives a performance to be proud of. Giving her character heart and emotion. A truly outstanding, remarkable, deeply moving and unforgettable piece of work. A movie that grabs you and dosent let go. Absolutely superb and breathtaking. A masterpiece.
ajaymuthecooldevils
May 26, 2006
Well... I appreciate J-Lo performances in this movie.. Even still the same, at least she gave an improve in her acting...
July 8, 2007
I loved everything about this movie EXCEPT Jennifer Lopez,she was COMPLETELY miscast. Everyone else had good chemistry and apart from it being a little slow,it was a great movie.
½ May 25, 2008
Jennifer Lopez's first really good movie.
iLeo
½ December 10, 2007
A good film.
½ August 22, 2007
This movie was actually pretty interesting. Mitch (Morgan Freeman's character) had the most positive attitude after all he had been through, and it was very inspiring.
June 2, 2007
Redford, Freeman & Lucas deserve all of the glory for this film. I'll never be impressed with JLo's attempts at imitating a southern accent, or her acting whatsoever. She's better off marrying ugly latin singers and shaking her over-sized (fat) ass in thug poser videos.
FanGirl
½ June 22, 2006
I wish Lopez weren't in this film.
January 8, 2016
This is a typical Lasse Hallstrom movie and he delivers. Nothing original at all, but strong directing and strong acting. Hallstrom is a master of sentimental feel good family and relationship dramas. This movie has a lot in common with "Chocolat" and "The Cider House Rules"; you might even call them a trilogy of sorts. If you like those movies, you will most like this one as well.
Most of the time, the success and overall rating of Hallstrom's movies comes down to its source material. Much of the success of "The Cider House Rules" is credited to the book and screenplay by John Irving, and rightly so. But Hallstrom deserve a lot of credit as well, by perfectly taking the source material from page to screen and deliver a great movie. With "An Unfinished Life", Hallstrom has done it again. Based on a popular book, Hallstrom takes this story from page to screen and deliver a movie with his own touch and clean execution. There was some debate during the production where the author of the book, Mark Spragg, withdrew his support because of too many changes in the script compared to the book. The basic story itself though, is largely intact. The loss of success of this movie though, comes down to the fact that Mark Spragg is no John Irving. John Irving is a contemporary giant in American litterature. His books will still be read 100 years from now. Mark Spragg, I am doubtful. By that, you also get to the weakness of Hallstrom. He can not elevate a movie very much beyond its source material, like some other (few) great directors can. He takes the source material as is, and makes a clean translation. Never better, never worse.
½ August 3, 2013
I saw this movie on accident (my sister thought it was something else), but it actually turned out to be a simple, heartwarming film.
January 4, 2012
I got so much more out of this movie than I expected to. I never find Jennifer Lopez to be all that believable, and usually her movies are mindless fluff. Not the case at all with this film. It's hard-hitting and well acted, and beautifully shot. I was really impressed at how good this movie was.
March 10, 2012
interesting and entertaining. story is appealing. I am still impressed with Jennifer Lopez as an actress.
½ December 5, 2011
A better title would be an unfinished film. It has everything it needs to be another crap made for cable film, but not worth paying money.