Unicorn City Reviews

½ August 1, 2012
a sweet sweet geeky movie about a pack of nerds who are into table top role playing game going into the woods to live their fantasy game.
½ February 6, 2014
Funny, but also emotional enough to make you care about the characters. A small band of dreamers band together to defeat Uncle Rico (John Gries), the evil dungeon master.
½ November 4, 2013
A great indie comedy about a bunch of nerds playing fantasy role playing games. Unicorn City knows its target audience and it delivers 100% with a fun, smart story that leaves you feeling good at the end. Voss is an angry nerd who wants to get 'The Job' at a major table-top game company, and to do so, he has to prove himself as a leader. Thus, he creates Unicorn City, and has to deal with an arch rival, a bunch of misfit gamers and one beautiful blonde geek girl who's obviously in love with him. Devin McGinn plays Voss like a gamer version of Michael Scott just right, but Jaclyn Hales as Marsha nails her geek girl role perfectly. You can tell the cast had fun making this, and as a whole, Unicorn City doesn't leave any plot holes, even thought the story is quite simple, and is delivered like an 80s comedy. My only complaint is the soundtrack, it's indie, most likely to remind the viewers that this is an indie film, but it's also lame, too weak for a movie about people playing a fantasy role playing game with knights, dragons, wizards and such. An epic 80s soundtrack, or a parody of it - much like Regular Show - would improve the entire movie. That, or some power metal. Overall, Unicorn City was a pleasant surprise and definitely a comedy worth your time.
August 4, 2013
Who is this written for?
June 23, 2013
Napoleon Dynamite meets Zardoz! Jaclyn Hale is going to be famous.
May 22, 2013
A really fun little film. Good acting, a clever plot, and a glimpse into modern nerd culture. I really enjoyed this film and have reccomending it to others who enjoy the nerdier side of life. Still no comparison to "The Dorkness Rising" or the web series "Journey Quest" but noble effort guys.
April 9, 2013
NOSTALGIA EVERYWHERE!

(I put this movie on to help me sleep, and ended up wide awake still by the end of it lolololol. I love love love this movie; my face muscles are sore from smiling/laughing throughout..)
½ April 7, 2013
Bland and predictable
February 16, 2013
This fun, light-hearted dedication to the table-top RPG gaming community will be lost on most. But if you have ever rolled a saving throw... you will laugh your ass off for the entire hour and a half that this movie rocks and rolls. Intelligently studied script is close to the world it makes fun of, without directly insulting it. A surprisingly entertaining movie that will leave you comparing its characters to your friends for days afterwards! And you will most DEFINITELY be striking a pose after every success. This movie adds a +10 to your life. Watch it!
January 28, 2013
The kind of movie I dream of making one day.
½ January 21, 2013
Couldn't make it past 15 minutes.
January 6, 2013
Amusing, disjointed, easy-going laugher. Same vein as Napoleon Dynamite.
December 26, 2012
The only reason why I gave this movie one star is cause I am a follow Dungeon's and Dragons nerd myself. If you don't play those type of games you will just think the movies is stupid. The acting does not help it cause either.
December 20, 2012
It gave me everything I could have hoped for in a film about Live Action Role Playing (LARP).
September 23, 2012
A bit extreme on the nerdiness of the characters. It wasn't that funny, but it clearly tries to be.

My biggest problem was that the protagonist wasn't likeable or realistic.

Points for originality though.
March 28, 2012
I saw this movie twice at GenCon in Indianapolis, IN in 2011. It is my firm and steadfast opinion that it was the best part of my time there. Each character is 100% believable. Anyone who has gamed has known at least one of the characters portrayed, be it the overbearing and power hungry GM, the one who takes it WAY too seriously, or the face-sucking couple. The story is amazingly detailed and wonderfully simple, firmly rooted in fantasy and lightly influenced by reality. This is a wonderful movie for any person, young or old, not just gamers. It's for anyone who has ever wanted adventure, anyone who ever picked up a stick and imagined it was Excalibur. It is a must see for veteran gamers, n00bs, and non-gamers alike.
½ March 27, 2012
Being a geek myself, this movie spoke to me. OK, maybe not just spoke to me, but related to me on a whole new level of geek. I‚(TM)m a table top gamer (somewhat) myself so this movie was made for my kind. One of the best things about the movie experience is that the theater was filled with role players such as myself and everyone in there had a great time!

This is an independent movie that was made here in Utah and right now it does have a limited release for the state, but I KNOW this movie can make it big. It‚(TM)s great fun for the whole family, even if you don‚(TM)t know squat about D&D or L.A.R.Ping, you‚(TM)ll have an enjoyable time with the characters. Most of the story is centered around Voss trying to get into a leadership position with both is gaming guild and for a job. Then there‚(TM)s Marsha who tries to get Voss to fall in love with her, but getting their characters to fall for each other. There‚(TM)s every type of mystical realm characters (elves, dwarves, bards, succubus, knights‚¶etc) but the winner take all of the show was Clint Vanderlinden who played a role playing centaur. Every time he was on the screen you knew there was going to be something good coming.

The costumes were great! They were made a bit better than if your average role playing person would do, but the creativity on each costume was enjoyable. Again, a wagon carrying centaur‚¶you can‚(TM)t beat that!

The only thing I found wrong about the movie is very minor. The D&D game play was a bit too clean. I know every guild I‚(TM)ve played with gets a bit more heated, but I understand that the company wants to make this a family film.

I know many people are reading this review and a probably gagging at the words ‚Independent Film‚?, ‚Family Film‚? and ‚Utah‚?, do not let these words make you think for one second that it‚(TM)s too cutesy for you. I can‚(TM)t remember the last time I‚(TM)ve laughed so hard during a movie. Go and see it while you can and bring as many family and friends as possible. Then who knows‚¶you may start your own guild.
March 22, 2012
This had some really funny parts--- that guy that looks a little like Jack Black was great.
March 18, 2012
This was a quirky movie, and given the storyline and characters it was exactly what you would have expected. The pacing was good and kept the laughs coming. It should be a gamers cult classic.
½ February 24, 2012
It's hard to find a move these days that are entertaining for adults, yet appropriate for kids. This is the one! Great film with a great cast.