Williams' "RV" Finishes First at the Box Office Race

Proving that farcical family vacations are more enticing than gymnastics, spelling bees, and historical plane crashes, Sony's "RV" landed atop the weekend box office tally by grossing an estimated $16.4 million from over 3,600 theaters. Because nothing says "box office hit" like a good septic tank gag.

Debuting in second place (and 1,800 theaters) was Universal's lauded and controversial "United 93," which managed about $11.6 million in its opening frame, while Disney's gymnastics flick "Stick It" was a close third, grossing approximately $11.2 million from just over 2,000 theaters.

Fourth and fifth place went to a pair of horror-related hangers-on: Sony's "Silent Hill" added another $9.3 million to its $34.2 million total, and Dimension's "Scary Movie 4" yanked another $7.8 million out of moviegoers' pockets, giving it a grand total of $78.1 million.

Lionsgate's "Akeelah and the Bee" debuted to relatively meager numbers by pulling in only $6.2 million from 2,200 theaters.

The summer movie officially kicks off next weekend with the arrival of Paramount's "Mission: Impossible III," New Line's family flick "Hoot," and Freestyle's fact-based chiller "An American Haunting."

For a closer peek at the weekend numbers, click on over to the Rotten Tomatoes Box Office Page.

Comments

mizzoucritic

Sean Ludwig

I would think with only a 16.4 million gross, that wouldn't constiture calling "RV" a "box office hit."

Anyhow, what kept people away from "United 93?" I asked several people this weekend if they were going to see it. And a lot of them told me "It's too soon." I kept thinking to myself, "Why is it 'too soon?' Is it because you're not comfortable with it? Since when does your comfort level justify when a movie should be released?"

May 1 - 08:28 AM

nogard64

Nogard64 64

[b]my take, my 2 cents[/b]
93 was a good movie it was riveting and informative, I saw it and agree its a wonderful film. But my take is why should we subject ourselves to be stressed out and angry again? To me it was like the death of a parent, yes it was sad yes it hurts, but do I need to watch a home video of him/her dying over again?

The plane was hijacked, the heroic passengers revolted and saved the capitol. Thats all we need to know right? do we need to know and experince every little detail?

May 1 - 10:19 AM

lovelykeira

Ken Schrock

Everyone I was going with to the movies wanted to have a fun time and thought that United 93 just sounded like a drag, so we ended up seeing Take the Lead which was alright, I gave it a B-. I also saw RV this weekend which really wasn't that great C-. I can hardly wait for MI3, it looks so damn good.

May 1 - 11:47 AM

RocketPunch

Rocket Punch

I agree with nogard64. IMO, it makes a very very very good 2hr discovery special but not when I am trying to "forget the world" at the movies. I will rent it for sure, so I will spend my $10 for something "not so real".

If I need to be reminded about all the bad 5hi7 thats going on in the world today, all I needed to do is to turn my tv on.

May 1 - 12:39 PM

nogard64

Nogard64 64

right on brother, yeah it was a tough movie to watch, I alomst cried a few times thinking these were just regular folks doing everyday things going to work, going home and then tragedy struck. It wasn't like they died hang gliding or sky diving, all they were trying to do was work or get some where on a plane.

May 1 - 12:49 PM

nogard64

Nogard64 64

May 1 - 12:49 PM

Flim Springfield

Robb P

At least United 93 wasn't a huge hit, the last thing we need is for Hollywood to start seeing 9/11 as a cash-cow.

May 1 - 08:23 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

<em>Let's Be Cops</em>
Let's Be Cops

Video: Riggle, Key, and Wayans Jr.

Box Office