Unrest Reviews

February 9, 2015
I have seen more pointless horror movies,not many but one or two more.
January 24, 2015
You can tell this is a low budget movie but I still liked the setting of the film. Right from the very beginning you can tell the medical students have uncovered some creepy entity that they should not have messed with. I would have rated this much higher with better actors and if the entity had made an actually appeareance. I still enjoyed it though, it's more like an "atmospheric" creepy movie...it is not extremely scary that it will make you jump but it does keep you interested with the right amount of suspense.
Robbanflix
April 12, 2007
I like most horror movies generally but this one was not any good in my opinion. It was not even scary and the story was a bit bad aswell and felt like low budget all the way. Altho i have seen more worse movies then this..
½ January 2, 2014
I gave this half a star because of how the director/writers just gave up on this film just before it started. Overall story line could have been improved, Acting could have been better. One part of the film that really stuck out was how Corri English was almost killed by the ghost and right after being rescued makes moves on a fellow med student and they have sex regardless that there is some cursed psychotic ghost fluttering around. The biggest sin I saw was the tagline/Lie "The first film to use real dead bodies", if you watch the "making of" on the DVD of this you can clearly see that all the dead bodies are fake (you see crew members carrying the bodies that looked to be made of foam) and despite the fact that in the US it's illegal to film a corps (even if it's one used for medical practices like the ones in the film) only 2 films in history are known to have used a real corpses, Men behind the Sun (1988 Hong Kong film) and Poltergeist (still very debatable)
October 30, 2013
This is not a gorefest or a slasher film, though there is plenty of blood spilled.

One line summary: Medical students versus spirits released from an Aztec digsite.
---------------------------------------------

Alison, Brian, Carlos, and Rick meet in medical school in their Gross Anatomy class. They get to know each other while dissecting 'Norma' whom we get to see the first time in the opening sequence. After the first shot at dissection, we meet Jennifer, Rick's fiancee.
Alison is an agnostic. Carlos is into spirits and respect. During the film, the question 'Is Norma dead?' gets discussed in philosophical terms.
Jennifer wanted to see the dissected body, and is shocked and repulsed when the internal organs felt warm to the touch. Rick tells her to cool off in the hall while he re-drapes the body. When he comes out, Jennifer is dead in a pool of blood.
Come Monday, Rick has dropped out, so Alison, Brian, and Carlos continue on Norma in Gross Anatomy. Rick has pretty well zoned out as Alison finds when she goes to visit him.
One of Dr. Blackwell's associates, Ivan, was checking out the cadaver when Alison interrupts him. They have a non-constructive chat. When Brian and Alison investigate a few things, they find Ivan's body in the cadaver tank. Both Ivan and Jennifer touched the corpse and were repelled by it.
After Brian and Alison are intimate, Alison discovers one of the morgue staff in the shower, dead, in a pool of blood. This fellow also touched the cadaver. Alison and the hospital's staff shrink go to Dr. Blackwell and ask for more information. Norma turns out to be Dr. Alita Covas, an American found dead in Brazil. She was on death row at the time for killing johns while being a prostitute. Oi, in the opening sequence, there were references to Aztec goings on. Brazil is mighty far south and east of Aztec country.
Meanwhile, Rick is descending into madness. Alison visits him and he attacks her.
Carlos dies in the library while investigating Aztecs. Alison and Brian get a bloody drawing on their door. Rick commits suicide. Alison and Brian discover more about Dr Covas' archaeological finds; this may prove to be the key.
Will Brian and Alison survive this encounter?
------Scores-------

Cinematography: 8/10 A bit more grainy and soft-focus than I expected, but good on the whole.

Sound: 10/10 Good for atmosphere and spookiness.

Acting: 8/10 Better than I expected.

Screenplay: 7/10 The Aztec vs. Brazil mix up was the film's major goof. On the other hand, the build up of tensions while dealing with real events was rather good.
½ September 25, 2013
I don't know where to begin. that is an hour of my life gone that I will never get back. bad acting. no technical advising. uh....... horrible. even for a b movie
September 24, 2013
Unrest is slow, a bit boring and difficult to buy into the characters saying and acting as they do, but the real issue is that it's just not a good story. Corri English brings a nice earnestness to her role and, I suspect, she could carry off most of the heavy lifting, but there isn't anything here to work with.
September 13, 2013
Jason Todd Ipson's Unrest unfolds eerily similar to an episode of the CW show Supernatural, only with slightly worse acting and less interesting narrative. I'm not sure why I seem to be drawn to crudely made horror films, but I am, and to be honest, this could have been a lot worse. There was a lot wrong with the movie, but there were also several things it did well. For starters, it didn't overuse the jump scare angle, but it did overuse the music associated with it... This led to the audience being constantly kept on there toes without the film becoming too predictable. By the end, Unrest seemed to be more of a crime drama than a horror movie which provided some depth, but overall, the script was lacking severely. And what in the world was that Dark Knight Rises-esque music that played every ten minutes during supposedly dramatic moments? That was just bad. Overall, this movie wasn't very good and wasn't very entertaining, but it could've been worse... You should probably stay away from it though.
August 4, 2013
I'm very conflicted about wanting to see this film. I only watched the first five minutes and it felt extremely menacing and visually impressive, as I like my horror films to be, but upon reading that the cadavers were real, that turns me off because it hits too close to home. It's one thing to gaze into the eyes of the dead when it isn't real. It's quite the other when it's an actual corpse.
½ July 24, 2013
To start with the obvious, the acting wasn't great. The male lead wasn't too bad, but the girl... yee. The story is interesting, yet very, very disorganized. Things just keep happening and the characters react in such a way that seems very... unhuman? I dunno. A roomful of doctors (and that psychologist in particular, where on earth she'd get her degree? Miskatonic U? jeez...) taking it at face-value that there's an angry spirit in the hospital doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Even in a movie in which we're actually talking about spirits to begin with. And that Aztec music, really, it was driving me nuts. So all in all, it had a few good scenes, but was mostly just a jumble of wtf. 5.5/10, the extra .5 of a point goes to the pretty boy.
½ July 24, 2013
June 22, 2013
(The director's) ponderous use of pauses and long, languid tracking shots lack the gravitas he hopes to gain, and a few of the narrative flourishes ring ridiculous and false.
April 27, 2013
till now best of 1st Afterdark festival movies! taking place in hospital, new medical students and haunted unrest soul of architect who has been taken there for medical purposes. good plot and good movie.
February 5, 2013
good story, little bit scarry movie....not for young people....
½ January 18, 2013
Very well executed. I liked the fact it was more about what you didn't see that made it scary.
½ January 3, 2013
was a stomach turner
December 10, 2012
The best horror film I've seen
December 5, 2012
If they had only put half the effort into the acting and story that they put into the gore...
September 19, 2012
quite boring actually. the mysteries remained a mystery, and has a very poor ending.
August 26, 2012
Not super scary, but at least it wasn't stupid and cheesy.