Up in Smoke - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Up in Smoke Reviews

July 27, 2011
Man Stoner: Mostly Maui Waui man, but it's got some Labrador in it.

"You'll be rolling in the aisles."

Every stoner out there owes a little something to Cheech and Chong, and this movie, Up in Smoke. This was the first time we saw a true "stoner" film and it still holds up decades later. The genius in Cheech and Chong is that they are able to successfully take every myth, every dumb stereotype about marijuana and make them into hilarious jokes. The way they talk is the biggest joke of all. They are using what everyone really expects out of a so called "stoner", and use it for material. You gotta admit, it's pretty genius.

Up in Smoke follows the two characters of Pedro(Cheech) and Man(Chong). The two meet when Chong is hitchhiking and Cheech pulls over because he thinks it's a woman. The two hit it off right from the start, smoking the biggest, thickest joint you're ever likely to see. When they get stranded in Mexico after being deported, they agree to drive a van across the border. They think they're smuggling in upholstery, but unknowingly to them, the whole van is constructed from marijuana. A dumb detective and his even dumber henchmen are right behind them the whole way.

Up in Smoke has achieved a sort of cult following, but don't let that take away from how classic this film happens to be. I'm not ever going to argue that this is a masterpiece or an overly important film(exception is that it started the stoner comedy genre, but you would assume that would have came to being without this). What it is though is a fun and hilarious one. Obviously the jokes are mostly centered around marijuana, so it helps if marijuana humor is something you like.

Everyone has their own opinion on the film. A lot of people love it, but a lot of people hate it also. There's a lot of reasons to hate it, if you want to look. It doesn't have much of a plot, it's stupid, it's basically a one joke comedy, and some would even go as far as to say that Cheech and Chong were doing a disservice to America's youth by glamorizing marijuana. So if you want to hate it, hate it. I however, after probably the tenth time I've seen it, still love it. Up in Smoke is one of those go to movies when I just smoked up, it's midnight, and I'm bored.
January 13, 2012
This is the film that pretty much kicked off the stoner comedy genre as we know (and as some love) to this day .Cheech and Chong were already known, but this really sent their careers sky high.

Since this is regarded as a cult classic, and the type of film where how you view it will affect your opinion of it, I do need to probably go ahead and admit that this film is overrated. I did have a few drinks in my system beforehand, and I kinda dig stoner humor even when I'm not altered, but even then, this film really pushes your buttons and tests your patience.

It's all so random. I mean, the plot is basically two guys randomly meet (and instantly become best friends) then spend the rest of the film trying to get weed. Seriously. I mean, yeah, there's slightly more to it, such as trying to get a band's career to take off, but there's really not much to it.

It is funny, but even when you're slightly altered, this is just overly silly and dumb, and I really wondered why this film is so highly regarded. Sure, I laughed a number of times, and was amused, but that's mostly because, as dumb as it sounds, I have a thing for ridiculous situations and silly faces. Cheech makes the best, by the way.

I am tickled by the fact that Tom Skerritt is in this, but even then, I am all over the map with how I feel about this, I sorta recommend it, but even then, I'll admit that it really is kinda junky. C+ to B-.
½ May 6, 2007
First twenty minutes are fun, it quickly goes down hill from there.
May 28, 2006
The last time I saw this movie I was 10 and didn't get it. Today it still holds up as a funny movie that makes me miss my family in California.
½ October 26, 2007
"Looks like quarter pounder man!!"

The two craziest stoners in history began life in the movies with this cult classic! And they sure dont make them as they used to!!

Join Cheech and Chong on their daily adventures in search for marijuna and a good time, plus getting ready to play a gig which could seal them a record deal!

side splitting stuff!!

October 18, 2007
Funny I suppose.
June 2, 2007
January 25, 2007
July 13, 2011
it's one of cheech marin's funniest performance that will make you stoned with laughter! A
November 14, 2007
It's harmless, but it did nothing for me.
August 8, 2007
Cheech and Chong's Up in Smoke
A van made entirely out of weed!!!!
4/4 stars

Remember wanting to see this sooo bad at the drive in one summer upon it's release back in '78 My father said dont worry u'll get in if you are with your parents (I'm thinking no i wont) sure enough upon arriving at our local drive-in 'Up In Smoke' is rated R so what he decides to do last second is stash me back in the camper on his truck. I jump out of my dad's pick up and race to stow myself away as he proceeds to the ticket booth..Well it seems everyone saw me including most of the employees so it was all a bust. Never ended up watching the flick 'till it was released on laser disc (you remember those old laser disc formatted movies that came in those huge plastic containers and were the size of an actual lp which you had to push them all the way inside the player let the disc fall in then slide the container out?) It was roughly about 3 yrs after the initial theatrical release of the film and i lmao so badly i remember almost having a peecident in my pants!!

Now i am watching the film with my own 12 year old son who is laughing just as hard if not harder then the old man did back in the day. My point being to all this, is this is a timeless classic featuring one of the best comedic duos known! If you are a comedy fan and have run out of anything to watch and never have heard of Cheech And Chong then by all means give the oldies a shot and if you have never watched a single film that these two put out during the '80's then starp on your depends and enjoy!

For those of you not familiar with this film Cheech Marin and Tommy Chong portray two pot heads searching for the ultimate buzz. In this the duo first meet on the highway as Cheech, mistakin Chong for a female hitchhiker picks him up after Chong's car bites the dust. lots of laughter prevails through their many adventures as they end up getting deported back to Tijuana, Mexico where they visit Cheech's Uncle Chewy to pick up a van and deliver it over the border back to the States, little do the potheads know but the van is made entirely out of weed!!

Laughs all around as they end up looking for weed that is somewhat scarce in the film all the whilst driving in a van made of the stuff!! A great classic film!!
½ September 3, 2011
eh, i respect cheech marin and tommy chong for reasons unknown but still... eh.
May 23, 2007
Meh, just didn't care for it. I did laugh once or twice, but overall it was really dumb.
½ December 25, 2007
I'm not sure exactly what to think of this film, since it depends heavily on wether you see it high or sober.
½ February 5, 2008
Low-level humour and I feel a little guilty for enjoying it so much. A must see for everyone that likes stoner-movies.
April 16, 2007
½ February 20, 2007
Not a huge fan of, "I'm so stoned" humour, but it's almost like a strange, perverted take on the comedy duos of the past like Laurel and Hardy and Abbott and Costello.
½ May 1, 2007
Hippie Dropouts

This is movie is not an anti-marijuana movie. It's Cheech and Chong's first movie. It's like a Cheech and Chong comedy album but with pictures. The movie's story is about Cheech and Chong going to Mexico and driving back in a van made of marijuana. When I was a teenager I went to a 4-H roundup at Oklahoma State University. Someone had a Cheech and Chong tape and we listened to it in Willham Hall on the floor we were staying. There was a center meeting room on each floor. Someone had a tape player and was playing the tape. It was the first time I heard Cheech and Chong. This movie has the same rhythm as one of their tapes but was acted out in front of a camera. So the whole movie is Cheech and Chong doing pot humor. Mostly two guys in a car acting stoned making funny jokes. The movie makes fun of the cops and the authorities trying to bust the pot smugglers. It has an R rating because of the glorification of drug use.
March 27, 2014
Very entertaining movie. It had some funny parts. It was the beginning of a new generation of silly movies.