Box Office Wrapup: Moviegoers Up For Pixar's First 3D Pic

Summary

Pixar and Disney celebrated their tenth straight number one smash with the 3D flying house flick Up which enjoyed a strong opening atop the North American box office. The new horror film Drag Me to Hell played well to those looking for a scare with its third place finish. Most holdovers fell by more than 50% from last weekend's holiday session but overall sales for the top ten still matched up to last year. Moviegoers spent the weekend with a grumpy old man and an adventurous young scout as the animated film Up debuted at number one with an estimated $68.2M from 3,766 locations. Averaging a stellar $18,109 per location, the PG-rated film continued Pixar's lucky streak which has seen every one of its offerings debut at number one in its first weekend of wide release. Grosses were boosted by extra surcharges that theaters collected for the 3D presentation, the first ever for Pixar. For example, New York City's Lincoln Square theater charges $12.50 for regular tickets, but $16.50 for Up in 3D. Back to Article

Comments

IrreducibleKoan

Sean Pak

Anyway, three 90 percent movies in the top 5 grossing for the weekend! Wow, when was the last time that happened?

May 31 - 09:15 PM

Bob S.

Bob Saccomano

@Chris B:
Sorry, I'm not a horror fan. Not in the least bit. Nor am I fan of Raimi (I love SPIDER-MAN 2 - the nicest thing I'll say about the rest of his work is that it I find it mediocre, and apologies to all the EVIL DEAD fans out there). I'll only give this a look because it's been incredibly well-received and because I eventually watch almost all US releases, horror films being the most frequently skipped.

May 31 - 09:15 PM

bondfreak

Jay Rog

Up is definetly Pixars most daring film as it goes out on a limb in terms of emotion. And boy did it work, what an incredible emotional roller coaster ride. And in 90 mins, theres something special about what Pixar does, and that is entertain and to the highest degree. I'd say its the best Pixar film next to Finding Nemo. I advise everyone to go see it to get your moneys worth. I unfortunately didnt see drag me to hell but heard great things so i will go find it next weekend. its just Up is a wow movie wayyyyy after its over. So good! Its the Into The Wild of animation.

May 31 - 09:31 PM

Jon J.

Jon Jon

This was a weekend to savor. UP and Drag me to Hell sure were exemplary films and I have full confidence that the word of mouth they are getting from critics, fanboys/fangirls, and casual moviegoers, will propel both to a strong and lengthy run in the box office this summer (akin to Trek).

How I wish we were treated to more weekends like this, and not like the past memorial weekend which was anything but memorable.

May 31 - 09:42 PM

Dave J

Dave J

It's unfortunate that Termination Salvation is not doing too well, that movie kept me entertained and it's too bad that overrated Star Trek film is generating better business.

May 31 - 10:03 PM

blsinner

Uver Pena

aw snap time for me to unleash caps lock!

HOW DARE YOU REFER TO SOMETHING OTHER THAN TERMINATOR 2 AS T2?!!!!!! BURN IN HELL, THERE IS ONLY ONE T2!!!!

OK seriously People calling the second transformers movie T2 really riles me up, because I love T2(Terminator that is) so damn much, and absoluteley hated the first transformers.

Lowercase on transformers is intentional.

May 31 - 10:11 PM

TheCaptain of TeamLoyalty

John Webb

Is Drag Me to Hell one of those movies were it is so over the top it is good? I got free movie ticket because the 3D machine for UP broke down so i was thinking about using it on Drag Me to Hell.

May 31 - 10:11 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Captain, DMTH definately isn't one of those it's so over the top it's good movies. It's just good. I'd actually say it's a bit understated as Raimi horror movies go, that's not to say there aren't plenty of trademark Raimi moments, but the movie doesn't rely on them as a crutch. I'd definately recommend seeing it if you haven't. For my money it's the best horror movie since at least Scream and probably even better than that.

Jun 1 - 05:49 AM

Chris B.

Chris Bellew

uh dave thats because star trek is actually a better movie than t:s is. i loved star trek and i liked t:s alot but it just wasn't as good as star trek even though the action was a little better.

May 31 - 10:13 PM

Dave J

Dave J

At least Termiantor Salvation is not another reboot plus according to some the new Star trek movie has more holes than Terminator Salvation. Star Trek is still overrated and if Gene Roddenbury was still alive he would agree with me.

Jun 1 - 12:58 PM

IrreducibleKoan

Sean Pak

saying T:S's action was a "little better" than Star Trek isn't saying much for T:S.

May 31 - 10:47 PM

cinemascribe

Duane Ullery

I knew it. I knew this would happen. When I found out that "Drag me to Hell" was given a PG-13 rating , I took one look back at that smoldering celluloid turd "The Unborn" and thought to myself "Between this, the lame "Grudge" sequel and the weak "Prom Night" redux, no one is going to risk their money on another PG-13 horror film." That's a shame, because "Drag me to Hell" was not only one of the freshest, most entertaining horror films I've seen in about a decade, but it did a lot more towards legitimizing PG-13 as a rating for a horror film than any of those other pieces of crap. The MPAA must be feeling more lenient these days , because "Army of Darkness" was rated R and DMTH was a great deal more gruesome.

May 31 - 11:21 PM

Ace

Jose Blancarte

Chaotic. Just stop it. You wont win. you know it I know it. Let them have this one. I mean he probably agrees with armond white for all we know.

Jun 1 - 02:23 AM

BlueLobster

Aaron Dean

Well, I saw Drag Me to Hell on Friday (I saw it early in the day to avoid the many teenyboppers who will come in, scream for a minute, talk through out the rest of the movie then leave asking why it sucked and wasn't like the unborn) and it was FANTASTIC! True Raimi, true horror. As for Up, I wanted to see it... but I do horrible in crowds, so I may do a double feature with it and Star Trek next weekend, or the weekend after that.

Oh yeah, and why take that jab at Rowling? I would highly disagree.

As for those tentpoles, I probably will rent transformers 2, and see Harry Potter in the theaters. I look forward to Public Enemies and Inglorious Basterds, but most of all I HAVE to see MOON... it sounds/looks simply orgasmic.

Also, am I the only person getting tired of calling movies by one word in their title? Like "Trek", "Hell (and/or) Drag", "Salvation", "Basterds", etc. ?

Jun 1 - 03:19 AM

Heather G.

Heather Griffiths

I thought Sam Worthington blew Christian Bale off the screen in Terminator Rise of the Machines and while it wasn't the Terminator movie ever - more humour please- it was way better than the critics made it out to be. Also, loved Star Trek, but not the piece of cinematic perfection the critics fawned over either. What was up with that Romulan ship? Reminded me of the old Tim Allen spoof space movie (what the hell was the title - had Alan Rickman and Sigourney Weaver too) where the space ship has all these huge cavernous empty areas and nobody knows what they're for.

Plus, let's hear it for Wolverine - Hugh Jackman working his *** off. And may I say, hem, what an ***!

Will definitely see Drag Me to Hell. Loved, loved, loved Army of Darkness. All together now - "Who wants some?!!?"

Jun 1 - 03:44 AM

Sulaco2k

Joseph McWilliams

^^You're thinking of Galaxy Quest.

It's pretty much confirmed now that Salvation is the biggest bomb of this summer, didn't see that one coming tbh.

Jun 1 - 04:35 AM

Tridus

Chris Eaton

"Averaging a stellar $18,109 per location, the PG-rated film continued Pixar's lucky streak which has seen every one of its offerings debut at number one in its first weekend of wide release. "

Umm, if you can do it ten times in a row, it's not luck. It's skill at making movies people want to watch.

Jun 1 - 05:39 AM

Evan_H

Evan Hildreth

It's unfortunate that whether a movie is fresh (Star Trek, Up) or rotten (Wolverine, Fast & Furious) seems to make no difference in their box-office takes. It sends the wrong message to Hollywood execs - that they don't need to make a good movie, they just have to make a hyped movie.

Jun 1 - 05:44 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jun 1 - 05:49 AM

Chris B.

Chris Bellew

am i the only one to realize that Heather just said bale and worthington were in T3?

Jun 1 - 06:41 AM

The Reaper

Iron Will

Drag Me to Hell was amazing but Raimi Horror always find greater life as cult classics. None of the Evil Deads made good money at the BO.

Jun 1 - 07:16 AM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

That's it; I've decided my mission this summer is to p1ss on the disgusting forest fire that was X-men Wolverine until it disappears from our collective conscience with a satisfying fizzle. Too graphic? Too much?
..I don't care.

THIS MOVIE SUCKED. THIS MOVIE SUCKED ALL THE MORE BECAUSE IT CAME FROM MOVIES THAT -AT LEAST ORIGINALLY- DID *NOT* SUCK. IT EVEN SUCKED MORE THAN THAT BECAUSE HUGH JACKMAN MADE SUCH A BIG DEAL ABOUT HOW IT WOULD NOT SUCK.

Jackman is now officially synonymous with 'bloated-budget, poorly-written crap'

Compared to that, T:S was Dr. Freakin' Strangelove.

Seriously, though, T:S was decent, but perhaps not 'good.' Too many glaring, absurd plot holes and not enough solid writing to make me care about anything after the pretty-cool pyrotechnics stopped. I really do regret to say Bale's stock has dropped with this movie, because his monotone, gravelly delivery--which imbued Batman with a controlled rage and gave a great counterpoint to the chaos of Ledger's Joker--seems like so much one-note acting, here. Bale's better than this and he owed it to himself to demand it from this production. Without getting too RT cliche', anyone who wants to know what Bale is capable of, go check out American Psycho and pay particular attention to the end scene on the phone with his lawyer.

Star Trek, by contrast, was 'good.' Not 'great' but 'good'. Still need to see 'Up' and I'm sorry that DMTH is doing worse than the pathetic horror offerings of late. I will see it, just to promote good movies.

Jun 1 - 07:17 AM

Bob S.

Bob Saccomano

@TombstoneLawDog:
Well put. Well put indeed.

Jun 1 - 10:30 AM

Richard Linklater
Richard Linklater

What are his Five Favorite Films?

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast