Box Office Wrapup: Moviegoers Up For Pixar's First 3D Pic

Summary

Pixar and Disney celebrated their tenth straight number one smash with the 3D flying house flick Up which enjoyed a strong opening atop the North American box office. The new horror film Drag Me to Hell played well to those looking for a scare with its third place finish. Most holdovers fell by more than 50% from last weekend's holiday session but overall sales for the top ten still matched up to last year. Moviegoers spent the weekend with a grumpy old man and an adventurous young scout as the animated film Up debuted at number one with an estimated $68.2M from 3,766 locations. Averaging a stellar $18,109 per location, the PG-rated film continued Pixar's lucky streak which has seen every one of its offerings debut at number one in its first weekend of wide release. Grosses were boosted by extra surcharges that theaters collected for the 3D presentation, the first ever for Pixar. For example, New York City's Lincoln Square theater charges $12.50 for regular tickets, but $16.50 for Up in 3D. Back to Article

Comments

Fantasyfan23

Rebecca Hill

I saw ''Up'' on Friday with a big group of family and friends--who range in age from 5 to 85-- and we all loved it. That's the magic of Pixar-- they keep making movies anyone can enjoy, regardless of age or gender. Although one of my friends said--and I can't help but agree with him a little-- that he would have enjoyed it even more if he didn't watch ''Mythbusters'' so much.

Jun 1 - 07:41 AM

Gimy

Gimy Moo

will see Up next weekend. hopefully it won't be as god awful boring as the last two pixar films. considering its THE most seen trailer...i'd hope it made a decent amount, sheesh. i don't think i've seen a trailer for any movie more times than Up. literally every movie i saw in the theater for the past few months had Old Man River flyin' his house across the screen.

serves the makers of T4 right i guess for its failure. don't brand a film a bale movie, market it as such and deliver him a costar. i don't get it. he's THE guy in the trailer yet a costar and doesn't even have his own action figure. its a shame, i liked him as connor and he could have ressurrected a dead franchise. now its going to be rebooted, watch.

Jun 1 - 08:04 AM

TheCaptain of TeamLoyalty

John Webb

Tombstone. T4 is the worst movie of the last 5 years. Wolverine is leaps and bounds better than it in everysingle way.

Jun 1 - 08:18 AM

inactive user

Jared King

WOAH! What about "Diaster Movie", "Meet the Spartans","The Hottie and the Nottie", "The Happening", "The Love Guru", ANY Uwe Boll film, and so many others!?

Jun 1 - 11:36 AM

Bob S.

Bob Saccomano

@ledawg:
He exists to deride or extol movies purely in hyperbole. Ain't worth reading what he writes - it never has any merit at all.

Jun 1 - 11:40 AM

Dave J

Dave J

How stupid is it to compare Woverine to Terminator. One's a super hero movie and the Terminator has a man vs the machine thesis with people who have no super powers. And as I can tell by your comment, Termainator: Salvation is for more sophisicated and mature audiences not for kiddies and adults with low IQ's. Terminator: Salvation requires you to use your brain a little even though going into it is convoluted, one has to go into this movie solely for the idea.

Jun 1 - 01:20 PM

damon killian

roy williams

Drag Me To Hell and Up are both really well made movies and a lot of fun to watch. :)

Jun 1 - 08:44 AM

MarioHilario

Mario Pimental

I saw both Up and Drag Me To Hell this weekend. Both movies were incredible, Drag Me To Hell has cult classic written all over it. Up was also an amazing movie, I've never seen such an emotionally driven animated production. Although, I do still feel like Wall-E was a much better film than Up for some reason.

Jun 1 - 08:56 AM

Bob S.

Bob Saccomano

@TombstoneLawDog:
Well put. Well put indeed.

Jun 1 - 10:30 AM

Kathleen S.

Kathleen Smith

"Up" was absolutely amazing! The 3-D effects made it even better! I'm so glad that Pixar knows how to use 3-D effectively. I'm sick and tired of all the jump-out-in-your-face 3-D that came with the likes of "Spy Kids 3".

Anyway, disregarding the 3-D, "Up" was still incredible! It had an exciting and original story, sophisticated humor, great characters, and just the right amount of emotion. This film served as yet another reminder of why Pixar films are, by far, my favorite ones. I will definitely try to get out to see it again this summer!

Sorry, "Drag Me to Hell", but I hate horror films. You won't get any business from me, no matter how good your reviews are.

Jun 1 - 11:21 AM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

I was dissapointed in "Drag me to Hell." It doesn't even touch the majesty that is EVIL DEAD 2, and Alison Lohman is not nearly as great a protagonist as Bruce Campbell.

****MAYBE SPOILERS (I don't consider them such, but I don't need to make any enemies)

He did some of the same things as he done in Evil Dead 2. The way the possessed talk and act, inanimate objects, like a handkerchief, making noise (like the hand in Evil Dead 2).

But, how many times does someone have to throw up in Lohman's mouth or gum her lower jaw?

And did you notice the goat just "dissapears?"

Although, I will say my favorite part of the movie was the smirk/half-smile of Lohman's character when talking about Kitty. . .

Jun 1 - 11:29 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I think it was every bit as good as Evil Dead 2, Different in that it took itself slightly more seriously, but just as good.

In answer to you second question at least 15 more times before it ceases to be funny. Loved the smirk as well, but my favorite part has to be the smack talk after she locks the old lady out of the car.

Lastly, goats do that. They're wily and not to be trusted. **shifts eyes back and forth in a suspicious manner**

Jun 1 - 02:28 PM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

@big brother.

Yah, the smack talk was also funny, but my second favorite part

SPOILER

was when the goat became possessed and talked.

Jun 1 - 03:12 PM

BlueLobster

Aaron Dean

**SPOILERS**

Who doesn't love a possessed goat calling somebody a whore?

Also, when the one man became possessed, I loved his line "I DON'T WANT YOUR CAT YOU COLD HEARTED B*TCH!" as he begins to cough it up. Normally I'm uncomfortable when cats die on screen... its a very long story, but anyway, I wasn't with this movie, they did it well (and funny!).

Oh, and I would say this is as good as something in The Evil Dead series, but for different reasons.

Jun 1 - 03:38 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Jun 1 - 11:36 AM

Bob S.

Bob Saccomano

@ledawg:

Jun 1 - 11:40 AM

Bob S.

Bob Saccomano

@ledawg:

Jun 1 - 11:40 AM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

To clarify, I did like DRAG ME TO HELL, but it is good, not great. I really don't see it being a cult classic.

Jun 1 - 12:56 PM

rodge d.

rodge dodge

agreed. but still lots of fun and worth a watch.

Jun 1 - 01:08 PM

Dave J

Dave J

At least Termiantor Salvation is not another reboot plus according to some the new Star trek movie has more holes than Terminator Salvation. Star Trek is still overrated and if Gene Roddenbury was still alive he would agree with me.

Jun 1 - 12:58 PM

mpchitown

Matthew Phillips

I'm with you there man. Totally going to see DMTH this weekend. Although I am considering seeing "UP" again. :)

Jun 1 - 01:08 PM

rodge d.

rodge dodge

agreed. but still lots of fun and worth a watch.

Jun 1 - 01:08 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Jun 1 - 01:20 PM

TheCaptain of TeamLoyalty

John Webb

No Terminator is worse than those movies because it was not meant to be utter crap.

P.S. Dont listen to Bob S the gay troll he is only here to attack wolverine.

Jun 1 - 01:25 PM

Dave J

Dave J

You must be the comic nerd who jerks off on anything to do with Woverine, I'm not going to waste my time with kiddies who know how to play video games and read comic books all day.

Jun 1 - 01:52 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Dave J.@ "Star Trek" is underrated, "T4" is good, but far from perfect because it's an action flick, and I love video games and comic books.

Jun 1 - 02:40 PM

Jun 1 - 02:28 PM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

@big brother.

Yah, the smack talk was also funny, but my second favorite part

SPOILER

was when the goat became possessed and talked.

Jun 1 - 03:12 PM

BlueLobster

Aaron Dean

**SPOILERS**

Who doesn't love a possessed goat calling somebody a whore?

Jun 1 - 03:38 PM

IrreducibleKoan

Sean Pak

For those who are skipping Drag Me To Hell because you don't like horror movies, I hope you do notice from the reviews and word-of-mouth that it's just as much a comedy as anything else. Maybe you don't like being scared, but don't you like laughing?

Jun 1 - 02:35 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Jun 1 - 02:40 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

<em>Let's Be Cops</em>
Let's Be Cops

Video: Riggle, Key, and Wayans Jr.

Box Office