Up and Down (Horem Pádem) (Loop the Loop) Reviews

Harlequin68
½ March 20, 2005
[font=Century Gothic][color=green]"Up and Down" is a movie from the Czech Republic which starts out with two truck drivers smuggling a group of illegal refugees across the border. In a rush to get everybody out of the truck, a baby is left behind. The baby is sold to a couple in desperate need of a child. Meanwhile, a university professor collapses during a lecture. While in hospital, his current family learns about his previous family he abandoned years before, including a son who emigrated to Australia.[/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#008000][/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#008000]"Up and Down" is about immigration and emigration and how the people of the Czech Republic have responded to it. Sometimes, the differences across a dinner table can be striking - the professor's first wife is a virulent racist while his second wife works with refugee groups. [/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#008000][/color][/font]
[font=Century Gothic][color=#008000]"Up and Down" is an intelligent, thoughtful, well-acted movie, even if some of the scenes do go on too long.[/color][/font]
October 27, 2007
A very interesting film based on dysfunction and racial tension. I also enjoyed the acting very much. It was a very serious story, but had humor and jokes throughout that were pulled off well.
FanGirl
½ January 1, 2007
Really solid film with a great version of the 'inter-twining storyline' genre.
½ June 27, 2010
Director Jan Hrebejk beautifully mixes dark comedy with drama in this very well acted and interesting film. Always interesting to watch, it?s provocative and thought provoking and has a wonderfully original style. It makes it?s point subtly yet clearly. The cinematography is stylish, the score is wonderful.
February 18, 2013
I really liked this movie, especially what it had to say about racism and the use of characters who were just ordinary people, not evil villains, to say it. The way the characters and their lives intertwined, the use of some funny comedy moments, and the understandable emotion between the characters made the film a series of very absorbing stories that continued to hold your interest. I particularly like the end credits, too, with their collection of wind-up toys. All-in-all, a very rewarding cinema experience.
December 31, 2011
Beautifully done. The actors are wonderful. Czech women are beautiful at every age! Dekuji.
½ June 27, 2010
70/100. Director Jan Hrebejk beautifully mixes dark comedy with drama in this very well acted and interesting film. Always interesting to watch, it's provocative and thought provoking and has a wonderfully original style. It makes it's point subtly yet clearly. The cinematography is stylish, the score is wonderful.
October 13, 2006
Just dropping in to confirm that yep, I'm still alive and yep, once internet becomes readily available (I'm typing this one from a coffee shoppe) I will be come back to stay.

Also, I watched a ton of movies this summer (go figure) and need/want to plug in the ratings.

So how is everyone? I'm leaving for my cross-country road trip tomorrow morning, then it's back to Bozeman, MT (more practical than Missoula) to live in a dive apartment with two wild and crazy guys I met while working in the park. I'll also be back in the business of playing with puppies for money. Romance is looking up as well, though the Slovakian cutie in question was quite concerned when I didn't e-mail for 5 days due to lack of net connection.

Suppose that's all for now. Seacrest out.
July 20, 2005
[b]DVD[/b] First Viewing, 1 Hrebejk film seen

I first posted this entry a week ago but was too busy to write down any comments. Even though I just spent a week on vacation, I still remember a lot about this movie. I guess that's a very good thing. I would highly recommend this for fans of films like [i]Intermission[/i] and [i]Magnolia[/i] (although I rank it much closer to the former). Hell, watch them back to back.
vh
½ March 31, 2005
Just for the record, this is the sixteenth movie in a row I've seen by myself. I saw it at the Music Box, where, after glancing through my list of old reviews, I've determined that I've seen over 20 movies in the past year [color=black][font=Tahoma]?[/font][/color] all of them alone. No wonder the ticket guy jokingly calls me his favorite customer.

Well this particular night he wasn't there to laugh at me (or perhaps with me [color=black][font=Tahoma]?[/font][/color] it's hard to tell), but I still managed to have an awkward Music Box moment. I inadvertently left my ratty old fetch-playing, bike-riding gloves on the concession stand counter when I bought popcorn, and when I discovered them missing after the movie, I was almost too embarrassed to ask for them back. But it was either that or enduring frozen hands on the ride home, so I mustered up the courage to ask if they'd been found. "You mean THESE?", the popcorn girl asked, holding them gingerly between her thumb and forefinger as if she feared they were some sort of biohazard.

It's ONLY dog slobber. Sheesh.

So anyway, between buying popcorn and getting my gloves back, I saw a movie. A pretty good one, too. "Up and Down", set in Prague, is one of those films about a bunch of unrelated people whose lives become intertwined by the end of the story. The overriding theme of the film seems to be the impact of immigration on modern Czech society. Or something. I'm not very good at identifying themes.

One story involves a couple of truck drivers smuggling a bunch of Indian illegal immigrants across the Czech border. When the smugglers hastily kick everyone out of the back of the truck on a deserted stretch of highway, one of the women accidentally leaves her baby behind. When the smugglers find it, they briefly consider leaving it in the woods but end up bringing it to a crooked pawnshop.

A second story is about a young couple named Franta and Mila. Mila desperately wants a baby, but she's unable to conceive. The couple can't adopt either, because Franta has a criminal record for engaging in acts of soccer hooliganism. Franta has always dreamed of being a cop, but his record limits him to working low-paying jobs as a security guard. His best friend is a soccer-obsessed skinhead who hates the idea of non-Czechs polluting the country's gene pool.

The final story is about a professor who collapses from a brain tumor and, fearing imminent death, contacts his estranged son, Martin, who lives in Australia and hasn't been home in 20 years. Martin's homecoming sets up an awkward reunion of Martin, his mother, his father, his father's long-time, much younger girlfriend (who used to be Martin's own girlfriend), and the couple's 18-year-old daughter, who didn't even know Martin existed. Martin's unsophisticated mother lives in a gritty neighborhood with a large immigrant population that she rants about constantly. His father's highbrow girlfriend works in a refugee center helping new immigrants get assimilated.

The stories all run parallel for a while, but eventually they intersect and the characters mix and match and form tasty combo platters. Though this movie is basically a comedy, everyone in it is kind of sad. And they all lead rather complicated, untidy lives. Just like real life, only with subtitles.
Harlequin68