Upside Down Reviews

October 8, 2015
Upside Down is, more-or-less, a teenage magical romance-adventure. Many of the negative reviews are correct but downrate the film too harshly. The premise and world are interesting and visually the film is pretty decent. I can imagine myself being impressed in my middle school/high school years. Upside Down I rate a cut below a film like Tron Legacy (similar genre/audience but done better) but not worse than your average Hollywood movie.
½ September 21, 2015
An interesting idea, with some impressive visuals, but the story struggles to hold together and the visuals leave you confused at times as you try to figure out where you are and what is happening. Timothy Spall gives a good performance, but Jim Sturgess feels a little miscast (especially when doing voice over narration) and Kirsten Dunst coasts through without giving it much effort.
A opportunity for stylish discussion on capitalism and social class, is missed out on.
September 7, 2015
A tepid retooling of Romeo and Juliet sadly leadens this visually extraordinary Euro production. Amazing effects that rival even Hollywood efforts and a rather unique concept with some interesting science behind it are to be admired, but are still weakened by a childish screenplay nonetheless.
September 1, 2015
what if love was stronger than gravity?
½ August 24, 2015
Very pretty, but sorely lacking in substance and logic.
½ August 12, 2015
A sweet, enjoyable, but flawed, romantic fable. Breaks in its internal logic and leaps in the narrative bring it down a bit from what it could have been, though.
July 21, 2015
Visual Stunning, Story wise is good to enough to keep the viewer interested, overall solid good film.
May 17, 2015
Saw this on 17/5/15
Upside Down has an original and extremely interesting premise which although is not scientifically practical, is compensated by it's extremely beautiful VFX. It is good for it's first one hour, but towards the end, it rushes off without giving much considerations to it's story. The worst pain is that the makers try to overshadow the incredible sci-fi premise with a mundane love story and in the end it fails because it lacks ambition, much like the similar film In Time. The acting is good and so are the special effects. The ending is bad and the audience would most likely feel deceived.
½ April 20, 2015
I really tried and wanted to like this movie, but it just fell short. I had a hard time trying to stay interested and it just got really boring real fast.
April 18, 2015
It was an interesting concept but unfortunately it was wasted on poor script and directing
½ April 9, 2015
Original, creative concept brought to life in visually stunning fashion. Wispy soundtrack and interesting visual direction takes the viewer to a nostalgic place where anything is possible, even a romance which defies physics. Thanks for proving that great movies are still possible!
½ March 9, 2015
There's an even better movie within Upside Down, but the one that Writer/Director Juan Solanas has fashioned isn't bad at all. It overcomes a rather trite love story thanks to not only its incredible visuals and novel idea but also a pair of energetic, sincere performances from Kirsten Dunst and Jim Sturgess. The picture is a little overly dramatic and self-important at its bookends, and even if the story proves rather ordinary in an extraordinary world, Upside Down still makes for a success considering both its high novelty and heartfelt sincerity.
½ June 9, 2014
I loved it--the fantastic premise, the personable hero and heroine, the incredible visuals, the sweet love story--this film had it all. I suspect that someday, it will be more highly regarded than it is today. I felt the same way about both the original Highlander movie and GATTACA, both of which were denigrated when they came out, but which were later properly appreciated, as I think this picture will be.
½ February 25, 2015
Upside Down was a visual masterpiece. With a plot hinting to the problems we have in our own political and social system, between upper and lower class. Showing how the ruling elite have a sense of entitlement which creates a line between the haves and have nots. I can't help but see the metaphoric resemblance within the United States. We have an economic dependence that was designed to keep the poor in their class. The rich take their oil, often by force, jack up the price, and sell it to the everyday citizen in the US at an insane markup. Which keeps the everyday citizen from ever rising from the class they reside. It's a tale of the rich versus poor, the elite versus the dominated poor. It's a story that has been told since the beginning of time. And Upside Down tells it against a visually stunning landscape.
February 17, 2015
This Romeo & Juliet story has an interesting idea behind it... but Shakespeare it is not.
Upside Down tells a pretty straight forward love story a la classic Shakespearian tale with a scifi gimmic of two planets so close to each other they almost touch, acting as the setting. With this in mind, you have to allow for fantastical elements. You are ok with complete disregard for the laws of physics and the bizarre socio political aspects of these two worlds despite neither aspect of the film making actual sense.
BUT... a film must obide by it's own rules. If you introduce rules to the story they must be maintained throughout the film and not simply when it's most convenient.
This film is so full of plot holes and continuity errors that it really makes it hard to follow along.
And on that note, let me say that watching a film where half the movie is upside down can be hard to watch. I can honestly say that the film left me with a little bit of a headache from all the disorientating visuals.
That being said, the visuals were decently pretty if not the most realistic at times so the film does have that going for it.
Upside Down had potential to be a great version of Romeo & Juliet for a new age but the story fails on so many levels that it is more a mockery of a classic tale rather than a homage.
February 14, 2015
cool concept, stupid story
January 7, 2015
I can relate to this.
January 23, 2015
A beautiful movie, a sci-fi fairytale, in one of the most unusual settings you can imagine. The laws of physics are a bit bent, but the story makes up for it.
½ January 14, 2015
Just saw this movie and I found it surprisingly good especially since I'd never heard about it before. It's an interesting plot with new ideas. I'll give it five stars especially as the current rating does not reflect the true score. I guess it's a four.
½ January 2, 2015
A really dumb central concept with some poor lines bury Upside Down's decent acting and cool visuals.