The Upside of Anger Reviews

½ July 21, 2015
Joan Allen is wonderful and Kevin Costner does some of his best work. I just didn't care too much for the film. I found many of the side characters to be fairly annoying.
½ April 3, 2015
Dieses Melodrama mit einem kleinen Hauch Humor, ist zwar gut an diesem Schauspiel Ensemble zugeschnitten. Starke Frauen besetzen die Rollen, dieser kaputten Familie sehr gut. Vor allem Joan Allen spielt sehr stark und ist für mich einer ihrer stärkeren Rollen. Kevin Costner spielt immer solide aber diese Rolle passt irgendwie nicht zu ihm. Ich kann mich nicht so anfreunden, ihn als abgehalfterten Baseballspieler zu sehen. Der Film ist durchschnittlich und verleiht den Frauen eine starke Präsenz. Nur bleibt es bei dem gleichen Tempo, wie der Film auch angefangen hat.
Fazit: Sehr starke Frauen Rollen in einem Film ohne grosse Überraschungen!
March 31, 2015
This drama/ comedy/ romance film is one I can watch over & over again. Terry Ann Wolfmeyer is very "put together," & seems to have been a trophy wife, as well as a hands-on mother to her four girls....until her husband disappears & she is confident he has run off with his mistress (aka secretary). As she struggles to sort through her emotions of abandonment & remain strong for her girls, she is caught up in a drunken stooper & love affair with her neighbor. As time passes, Terry becomes closer to her neighbor & her emotional outbursts become common -- however, later in the film Terry seems to realize the drinking is not helping and her outbursts are not necessary. The Upside to Anger is a story that demonstrates the different emotions a family goes through after believing the father has "run out" on them. The Upside to Anger is that anger is part of the grieving process & one must go through this process in order to move on with their life. Terry was mad as h*ll & that -- to her -- was better than crying about it; after the anger phase has taken effect, however, one must move on to the next emotion -- one cannot emotionally get over something by staying in the anger phase. The movie presented a real-life event that could happen to any family & went through grieving with some laughs, cries, and drama in between. It was a great movie that showed real emotion. This would be awesome as a TV series.
March 8, 2015
"People don't know how to love. They bite rather than kiss. They slap rather than stroke. Maybe it's because they recognize how easy it is for love to go bad, to become suddenly impossible... unworkable, an exercise of futility. So they avoid it and seek solace in angst, and fear, and aggression, which are always there and readily available. Or maybe sometimes... they just don't have all the facts.

Anger and resentment can stop you in your tracks. That's what I know now. It needs nothing to burn but the air and the life that it swallows and smothers. It's real, though - the fury, even when it isn't. It can change you... turn you... mold you and shape you into something you're not. The only upside to anger, then... is the person you become. Hopefully someone that wakes up one day and realizes they're not afraid to take the journey, someone that knows that the truth is, at best, a partially told story. That anger, like growth, comes in spurts and fits, and in its wake, leaves a new chance at acceptance, and the promise of calm."

anger doesn't have to always be painful or stressful for everyone, the one good thing it does for us is allow us to grow and evolve
we become better versions of ourselves because of it
it's also nice to get those bottled up emotions and angry thoughts out in the open otherwise it eats us up while also driving everyone away
director Mike Binder tells a very heavy/funny story about a family that tries to stay together
the father is gone and the mother of four vents in her own way
but once you find out the real story behind the father's absence it completely turns it all around
Joan Allen and Kevin Costner bounce off one another debating on moving on or staying where they are now
the daughters from Keri Russell to Erika Christensen to Evan Rachel Wood deal with their own personal predicaments ranging from wanting to do ballet to sexual identity to marriage, yet their mother has a hard time accepting so many of the changes they go through
the movie is half laughs, half heavy drama which doesn't work against itself all the time
maybe it's only the score that's really silly in a lot of parts making it hard to take seriously
whatever the case this suburban family tale isn't afraid to confront personal feelings and raging emotions
feels pretty realistic enough
½ December 2, 2013
Full of wonderfully flawed yet compelling characters and smartly written this film rings genuine and true!
½ September 15, 2014
LOVED JOAN ALLEN...SHE WAS FUNNY, FUN AND YEP ANGRY....BUT WHAT AN INTERESTING VARIETY... great coupling her and kevin costner...
September 15, 2014
I think I can watch Joan Allen in anything. She is always spot on. But a good script definitely helps, as well as a supporting cast - this movie has both. It's nothing mind blowing, but a very solid film that is elevated by honest performances.
½ August 9, 2014
Very nice humane movie. Has its funny moments. Highly recommend.
December 26, 2013
4 stars for Allen's performance alone
½ June 25, 2007
A decent script is livened up by good performances, particularly from the film's two main leads.
July 16, 2013
Not bad at all. I enjoyed it.
½ April 7, 2013
Joan Allen's vicious, brittle, and boozy jilted housewife is a wonder to behold. Delicious, even when the script turns occasionally preachy and/or contrived.
½ April 2, 2013
only thing angry about this film, is my waste of time.
March 2, 2013
An emotional, lovable, and intelligently written romantic comedy/drama.
January 1, 2013
Hilariously real dark comedy!
December 7, 2012
Would like to see at some stage.
July 18, 2012
Hilariously real dark comedy!
June 10, 2012
Awesome heart warming movie, could see it over and over...
½ June 9, 2012
watches with (and over) Mom. Sometimes, the two of us laugh; sometimes, I curse aloud on her protective, maternal behalf. Mostly, we dodge the tornadic havoc wreaked by the bastard lunatic and, instead, climb below the rubble, to the upside down of mad; then, take shelter in the comfort of My Dad.
June 6, 2012
Si Mike Binder décide de choisir comme mission celle de réaliser un film qui traite de la colère et de ses conséquences, c'est qu'il doit assumer le sujet, et non pas se contenter d'un film mou qui manque d'audace.