Upstream Color - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Upstream Color Reviews

½ February 1, 2016
Utterly bizarre, but weirdly compelling.
January 17, 2016
Not really clear what the point is, and that's not always a bad thing, but in this case it's just too muddy.
½ January 9, 2016
I dunno man, pretty weird. Lots of random scene changes and stuff. Interesting in a filmmaking sense, but the plot is lost. And frankly, I didn't care much for the characters. I had a similar problem in Primer, but there the unwinding of the plot held my interest despite the very drab characterizations. I can't say that I understood the full underlying intent of the plot here.
½ December 18, 2015
This movie had me, and totally lost me. You want to get bored to tears? Pop in this movie. If it sustained the constant, abstract, slightly disturbing tone of the first 30 minutes, all would be right. But then, nothing happens after that. I had to turn this off.
February 12, 2015
Upstream Color is a mystifying film that creates a hazy world of blended lives that is completely absorbing, but refuses to give any easy answers. The simplistic, minimal dialogue was fantastic and the music throughout was great and added to the mood.
November 7, 2015
This one will stick with you, for better of for worse.
½ May 29, 2013
I have to admit this kind of cinema is not my favourite, and I cannot say anything else that Upstream Color could well be the best example of abstractism and american experimental cinema (directly quoted from a critic), but I wouldn't be able to appreciate it. I tried to simphasize with the characters but I was not able to get involved with them, except maybe for a brief moment, that went away just as it came. Visually I found Upstream Color amazing and very strong, with a choice for the music nearly obsessive. The fact is not surprising if you consider that these two elements are probably the pillars of the movie, but again I didn't appreciate the movie and for more than half of the lasting I hoped that it would end soon.
October 6, 2015
"Experimental" is the best description for this film, if by that you mean a plot with more holes than a block of Swiss cheese. Dr. Frankenstein had an experiment too, and like this movie, it wasn't stitched together very well.
I liked Primer, watched it 3 times. But I couldn't stand to watch this again. The entire movie is spent trying to figure out how the scene you are watching fits in with the rest. Many times it is inexplicable as to how, and when, the scenes mesh. The trouble with that is you don't get to enjoy any "story" while playing Sherlock Holmes with the vaporous plot.
In trying to be avant-garde, Shane Carruth has made the common mistake that many writer-director-producers do: It seems he failed to ask anyone else if they understood what was going on before releasing this film. The end result is much like the Emperor's new clothes: some will claim to understand this "masterpiece", others with a more critical eye for story will see that this film as seriously flawed.
Shane, if you read this review, please go buy a copy of McKee's "Story" and read it cover to cover before you film anything else.
½ July 21, 2013
A highly interesting psycho-thriller that challenges us to interpret its complex narrative and cryptic symbolism, even if the result is not exactly involving - and Carruth deserves a lot of credit for how he makes use of outstanding visual and auditory match cuts.
September 26, 2015
This movie blew chunks. I don't mind elliptical plots if it says something profound. This doesn't. I don't mind plot holes if they're logical. These aren't. I don't mind lame music if it's just there to hold things together. This didn't. Terrible movie. Do not watch.
½ September 19, 2015
While difficult to follow at times (part of Shane Carruth's style), this movie weaves a creative story. While the film may not be for everyone, if you're into a cerebral take on mind control, this movie could well work for you.
September 18, 2015
An interesting sci-fi mystery film which depicts a strange story with intriguing elements in music, narrative and characters who unfold delicately. It boosts with originality and ends inducing a shivering sensation then leading to puzzlement.
September 18, 2015
Enthralling and coherent at first, pretentious and nonsensical at the end. The emperor has no clothes. Don't waste your time.
August 24, 2015
Looks great considering the budget but Upstream Color is nothing but a average artsy fartsy pretentious film. With little story or no development making for a mundane drone and its inability for getting any emotion out of the audience.
August 2, 2015
Undefinable and incomprehensible on a single watch, Carruth's lyrical film tells the tale of two people caught in a worm-pig-orchid life cycle, all courtesy of a mind controlling parasite. Odd?Complex? We haven't even talked about The Thief or The Sampler! Inspired by the concepts of transcendentalist Henry David Thoreau, this is really visionary and original filmmaking that doesn't take audiences for granted as it questions whether we control our identity or we let our identity control us. Hypnotic editing and heightened sound design are heavily favoured over the verbal and help make the experience as intriguing as the greatest mysteries of life. Watch if you are not afraid of the unknown!
June 16, 2015
No sé si la entendí.
No sé si me gustó.
No sé si no me gustó.
No sé.
½ July 12, 2015
Weird but i love it,the masterpiece of Shane Carruth is here.
July 10, 2015
I've no idea what I just watched but boy, was it gripping.
½ June 25, 2015
An experimental dream like experience which maintains the viewer's focus despite it's slight indulgence and minimal use of dialogue. Strong visuals and soundtrack.
½ June 1, 2014
I imagine a lot of people will find this infuriating. Totally twisted yet utterly compelling. The best way to describe it, erm... Eternal Pigsty Of The Wormless Mind.