Uptown Girls Reviews

murphmann93
June 23, 2011
A good chick flick with some heartwarming scenes! A must see!
3niR
½ February 15, 2010
Act your age not your shoe size.

Dakota Fanning reminded me of Christina Ricci from Addams Family. Her acting in this movie was spectacular. Brittany Murphy (R.I.P) was good as well. This was pretty enjoyable.
jamers2011
January 1, 2011
A decent, enjoyable film. I really love Brittany Murphy!
½ March 1, 2007
Pretty decent fluff. Quite suprising actually.
½ August 3, 2010
Even if it's a little unoriginal, Dakota Fanning gives an amazing performance, that is as anal as it is charming.
½ January 2, 2008
Rewatched this one again recently and think I enjoyed it even more than I did when I watched it years ago. Brittany Murphy and Dakota Fanning make a great pair in this, Dakota as a young girl old beyond her years and Brittany as an eccentric rich girl who finds herself suddenly broke and has to work as a nanny to make money. Brittany really did have an amazing screen presence. It is beyond sad that she died, and Dakota, as always is excellent in this.
A sweet, funny feel good movie with a slightly dodgy ending.
December 27, 2009
Molly Gunn: That's your dad? Ray: Was. Now he's a vegetable. And soon he'll be nothing. Molly Gun: Thats a little harsh. Ray: Its a harsh world.

In my humble opinion the only reason that this film didn't get the acclaim it deserved was because adults wrote it off as a 'kids' movie and the kids didn't understand the emotional plot line.

Brittany Murphy uses her ditzy/sexy combination to maximum effect in Uptown Girls. Molly Gunn (Brittany Murphy) is a woman who's rock and roll parents died when she was very young, leaving her with enough money so that she would never have to mature past the age she was when her parents left her.

Ray Schlein (Dakota Fanning) is a spoilt brat who's mother ignores her and who's father is comatose. Consequently she has evolved prematurely into an uptight, adult-like child who fears germs, mess and most importantly, fun.

So when Molly and Rays worlds collide, they accidentally begin teaching each other how to act their ages. But when Rays life begins to take the same tragic turn as Mollys did, Mollys forced to act like a 'grown up' for the fist time in her life.

This movie is a real tear jerker. I dare anyone not to watch it and feel they haven't gained something from it. Don't believe the people who hate it, its a fantastic movie and yes; its a chick-flick but that Doesn't make it terrible!

The ending is just...beautiful.
deano
May 13, 2007
Cute little fantasy about a spoiled heiress whose wealth has disappeared. Finding work as a nanny, she grows up under her serious young charge's care. Dakota Fanning is aborable as the serious eight-year-old. Billed as a comedy, this is also full of dramatic moments.
July 17, 2007
Was this Academy Award winning material?...NO...of course not, but that is not what you rent this kind of a film for now is it? You rent this film because you want a little fluff with some heart and a few laughs (nothing gut-busting, but laughs). This film delivers all of that with a shiny new Dakota Fanning (Who was really quite marvelous...talk about precocious!) This movie was light and fun. It had heart and humor and even tried to deliver a message (actually tries to slap you upside the head with it, but not overly obnoxious about it). Sit back, cuddle up, and suspend your intellect...you won't need it here. This movie is purely for fun. Enjoy.
ajaymuthecooldevils
May 30, 2007
An ordinary comedy about life of a grown-ups... I love Brittany Murphy's character... Even her acting was a disaster, but she looks fit for that role... And Dakota Fanning was charming.. she's save Murphy and this movie too, I think..
May 27, 2007
it's times like this when i throw my hands up to hollywood asking why it makes such trash.
May 21, 2007
not that great
sanjurosamurai
½ January 18, 2007
eh, it is what it is i guess
June 13, 2006
Such a sweet story.
December 4, 2014
Brittany Murphy and Dakota Fanning star in the fun, lighthearted comedy Uptown Girls. When the daughter of a former rock star loses her trust fund she's forced to take a job as a nanny for a rigid, uptight 8-year-old girl. The story is rather formulaic and the characters are a little cliche, but Murphy and Fanning have great chemistry together and are able to elevate the material. Additionally, the film has a nice message about the trails and bonds of friendship. Uptown Girls is pretty much a by the numbers buddy comedy, but there's also some charm to it too.
June 15, 2006
There is some terrible acting in this film.
December 1, 2007
How did I end up watching this?
½ May 31, 2006
Britney Murphy is fun and loveable, and Dakota has spirit, but its a lifeless affair for the most part. Lessons are learned by the end and for some this will be good, but its never that good.
December 19, 2010
I had some preconceived notions going in, but I actually really liked this movie and I thought Dakota Fanning did an excellent job.
½ June 30, 2010
I liked this movie. Brittany Murphy is luminescent and turns this movie into more than a cliche. She is vulnerable, sexy, ditzy. There are echoes from her character in Eight Mile. Murphy's light went out much too soon.