Urbania Reviews

½ May 13, 2014
Extremely twisty, well acted and shot movie that takes a similar plot device to "Urban Legend", only uses it to make a gritty drama about a lost love. Dan Futterman (who scripted Capote and had a guest role in Will & Grace) is a revelation.
May 13, 2014
Gay urban (You never woulda guessed) tale that's quite interesting in parts, too obvious in others. The director really tries to communicate unfairness for GLBT people, how when compared to straights that have things for granted, life really sucks and it's difficult to enjoy being. I think the beginning is supposed to bring in or attract hetero-thinking people because it seems to be a normal "straight" story with a wicked taste. It's deceiving and ambiguous until the terms "boyfriend" and "him" pop up. I think even the lead actor is straight in real life, he was the only one butch among the gay characters, thus the only attractive one.

I don't like the thought of "your side must be disrespected in order for ours to gain equality" - it was difficult taking the moral seriously and not as just bitching. But characters were interesting, some of what's covered in the Flixster synopsis is only heard of and not really seen; there's a lot of storytelling.
May 13, 2014
Interesting little flick about revenge and gay bashing. Dan Futterman gives it all in his performance in this film. A finely crafted film that should not be ignored.
½ May 13, 2014
Heart wrenching and hauntingly beautiful, Dan Futterman in a sense lives in an alternate reality trying to cope with what has transpired.
May 13, 2014
The scene where he is attemtpting to masturbate is hot! He's hot and hairy and Dan does a pretty good job at convey anguish over the loss of his lover!
½ May 13, 2014
Good premise with impressive performance by Dan Futterman. The movie is based on a play, though it sounds like there were a lot of liberties taken in the translation. And, it works for the most part. You can't help but chuckle at some of the 'reality' of the gay life being depicted and cringe during the painful moments. A lot of reviewers had difficulty warming up to the main character. But, I liked the guy. Definitely attractive. Definitely a charmer. But, besides that, regardless of how uncool he might have behaved towards some of the other characters, when all was said and done, he was trying to get somewhere. And, in his uncool, somewhat jerky way, he was trying to get them to get somewhere too. I don't know that he succeeded in teaching his targets any lessons. But, I'd like to delude myself into thinking he did. Cuz, if you can't be deluded by charming, attractive guys, what the hell is this world coming to? ;-)

I enjoyed seeing a film with gay characters that wasn't one of the standard 'confused homo comes out' or 'painstaking yearning for love' or 'discovery of identity through excessive usage of partying, random sex, and bitchy interactions'.
May 13, 2014
How do you move on with your life when the one that you loved was brutally and senselessly taken from you? This film goes through dreamlike sequences to a climax of self-realization...
May 13, 2014
haunting, romantic and thrilling. This strange art-house film is captivating. Great acting and story.
½ November 12, 2014
May 13, 2014
Slow at first....but them it gets alot more interesting. Very well acted, and the story is astounding.
May 13, 2014
Started out as a really cool idea...Urban Legends come to life..and then it turns gay...real gay..Literally
May 13, 2014
Urbania is a WONDERFUL film. Although 40% of it is bogged down with the stuff of Urban legends, the remaining 60% tells a beautiful, if troubling story or love and loss. Dan FUTTERMAN and Matthew KEESLAR both win and break my heart.

If you are a gay man, this is an absolute must see -- however, the beauty of the film is that, while its main characters are gay, it isn't AT ALL about them being gay, so being gay is not at all essential to appreciating and LOVING this film.

See this one if you like a little thrill with your urban epic romances.

Urbania: A-
May 13, 2014
A film that is, at varying time, heartbreaking romantic and tragic, vengeful and dark, and abrasively humorous, there's a lot to admire here!
May 13, 2014
A rather negative film, not the cheeriest. It has some good scenes, the acting is fine, the direction okay, but just didn't care for the seaminess of it. Gloomy. It almost works great, it is just lacking something. but it did hold my interest.