Urbanized - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Urbanized Reviews

January 22, 2015
This film absolutely moves the paradigm of what our cities could and should be like. I definitely recommend it to any urban planner, architect, councilmember, planning commissioner, city manager and citizen group. The best film on Landscape Design I have ever seen.
½ February 15, 2013
An interesting, and more importantly, global perspective on the power of cities. "Urbanized" gives our lives context through its acute attention to details.
½ November 9, 2012
This is an absorbing documentary about the planning, building, & evolving of modern city spaces. The film is a must for anyone remotely interested in sociology or architecture.
September 17, 2012
This film zooms through some of the hottest topic in urban planning in the last 20 years and does with cinematic flare. You have to see this in HD as they fly over sub-urban Phoenix, AZ and then Beijing China, and then through parts of Bogota, Columbia. Fun movie to watch for everyone, but just inspirational if you're working in any planning field.
July 1, 2012
A fascinating and I think objective look at theirs and outs of planning parts of a city and what contributes to successful urban living as well as not so successful. It's more entertaining than I make it sound!
½ December 26, 2011
Excellent film with important voices. Only drawback is the repetition. After about 45 minutes, it becomes eye candy for urbanophiles.
½ November 22, 2011
Today I saw a big-budgeted Streetfilmsesque production on the big screen! It's at times very good, and other times just good - and every five minutes or so fires up a great soundtrack montage. My problem with these high concept films is that they sometimes feel cold and remote with their focus on being arty and slobbering all over architecture. Sure I am biased, but any of our Streetfilms from Bogota or Copenhagen feel more human and connected than the same segments here. The Detroit and New Orleans segments I found the most full of promise. Another thing, the film essentially just ends. It needed a better epilogue.
November 11, 2011
While I would have made the movie different, I think it does a surprisingly good job of presenting the issues associated with urbanization. Within the first 10 minutes, after they get past some of the cool design and technical aspects of explaining cities and how more and more people are living in them, they get to slums and how many city dwellers are in fact slum dwellers. I liked the story in Chile about public transit, the one about a guy in Detroit starting a community garden and the pitched battle in Stuttgart over a development plan (that ended up costing the city historic trees that weren't even used for firewood in WWII and the conservative CDU party was booted out of office for the first time in 6 decades to be replaced by the Greens). I don't think it's a shortcoming that he allows, for instance, a suburbanite to defend sprawl. If an overly ideological movie that seeks to wrap everything up for you is going to not get seen anyway, I'd rather a competent, well-made, beautifully shot, smart movie that brings up the issues be made.
½ November 10, 2011
Must see. You just don't want it to end. You get to briefly travel to some of the major cities. I wish it were 5hrs long and covered more European cities but still quite a gem.
December 25, 2015
Just like Helvetica and Objectified, this Gary Hustwit documentary is so good that it leaves you wanting more. Fresh ideas are discussed at how cities are changing, while also providing the necessary context of how we got where we are now. Well paced, beautifully shot, and every second is brain food.
January 22, 2015
May 25, 2014
"this is the century for city lovers"

muito bacana. e o mais curioso é que brasília foi utilizada como exemplo não-tão-bom, enquanto o rio foi tido como positivo (pelo menos no aspecto em que mostraram, né).
April 2, 2014
An interesting collection of inspirational segments and examples of contemporary thinking.
January 27, 2014
Very informative. Maybe a little blurry on the main subject but definitely can give you a lot of knowledge. And of course it's beautifully shot.
½ August 29, 2013
Insightful. Inspiring.
½ May 14, 2013
Interesante pero falto de mas investigación a mi gusto, sale muy superficial y se queda uno como con las ganas. Tiene algunas buenas entrevistas pero nada que sea la locura. Vale verlo más por cultura general.
½ May 14, 2013
May 5, 2013
Wonderful and informative documentary on the effects (negative and positive) of urbanization worldwide.
April 22, 2013
very interesting documentary
½ April 17, 2013
very interesting info about cities.