Urbanized - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Urbanized Reviews

½ December 26, 2011
Excellent film with important voices. Only drawback is the repetition. After about 45 minutes, it becomes eye candy for urbanophiles.
November 11, 2011
While I would have made the movie different, I think it does a surprisingly good job of presenting the issues associated with urbanization. Within the first 10 minutes, after they get past some of the cool design and technical aspects of explaining cities and how more and more people are living in them, they get to slums and how many city dwellers are in fact slum dwellers. I liked the story in Chile about public transit, the one about a guy in Detroit starting a community garden and the pitched battle in Stuttgart over a development plan (that ended up costing the city historic trees that weren't even used for firewood in WWII and the conservative CDU party was booted out of office for the first time in 6 decades to be replaced by the Greens). I don't think it's a shortcoming that he allows, for instance, a suburbanite to defend sprawl. If an overly ideological movie that seeks to wrap everything up for you is going to not get seen anyway, I'd rather a competent, well-made, beautifully shot, smart movie that brings up the issues be made.
December 25, 2015
Just like Helvetica and Objectified, this Gary Hustwit documentary is so good that it leaves you wanting more. Fresh ideas are discussed at how cities are changing, while also providing the necessary context of how we got where we are now. Well paced, beautifully shot, and every second is brain food.
½ August 29, 2013
Insightful. Inspiring.
½ May 14, 2013
Interesante pero falto de mas investigación a mi gusto, sale muy superficial y se queda uno como con las ganas. Tiene algunas buenas entrevistas pero nada que sea la locura. Vale verlo más por cultura general.
½ April 17, 2013
very interesting info about cities.
November 1, 2011
A well-made documentary about the fascinating topic of urban design.
½ February 15, 2013
An interesting, and more importantly, global perspective on the power of cities. "Urbanized" gives our lives context through its acute attention to details.
½ February 4, 2013
Starts out strong but eventually devolves in to emotionally fueled nonsense.
December 16, 2012
Interesting content, and ultimately enjoyable, but it's irritatingly lacking in structure (just as I found with Helvetica and Objectified)
December 8, 2012
An insight into how the world population is growing and relocating to big cities and how that is affecting us.
½ November 16, 2012
Mielenkiintoinen dokumentti kaupunkisuunnittelusta.
½ November 9, 2012
This is an absorbing documentary about the planning, building, & evolving of modern city spaces. The film is a must for anyone remotely interested in sociology or architecture.
October 8, 2012
A very nicely constructed documentary that touches on the issues of resource use, population, and city planning.
September 17, 2012
This film zooms through some of the hottest topic in urban planning in the last 20 years and does with cinematic flare. You have to see this in HD as they fly over sub-urban Phoenix, AZ and then Beijing China, and then through parts of Bogota, Columbia. Fun movie to watch for everyone, but just inspirational if you're working in any planning field.
½ August 1, 2012
Urbanized is insightful, balanced, and professionally crafted, making it a top notch special interest piece.
September 12, 2012
98%

When was the last time you played Simcity?
August 8, 2012
I guess sprawl neighborhoods suck and we should stop buying cars.
August 5, 2012
Fascinating and informative! Definitely worth watching!
July 1, 2012
A fascinating and I think objective look at theirs and outs of planning parts of a city and what contributes to successful urban living as well as not so successful. It's more entertaining than I make it sound!