89% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

—— Wilfred: Season 4
43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

In the Fog Reviews

August 11, 2013
This compelling, intelligent, heart-warming drama directed by Sergei Loznitsa was a real flop in Russia. But this co-production between Belarus, Germany, Latvia, Netherlands and Russia had some success on the world scene - even competed for the Palme d'Or at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival and won the Golden Apricot at the 2012 Yerevan International Film Festival in Armenia. I can understand that in the modern times with lots of individuals with short attention span there will be limited number of those who will appreciate the slow tempo of storytelling, and this movie feels like it tells a story in a real time - like we are there. You can almost feel the cold, pain, love... everything from the screen is magically transferred to the audience! The director Sergei Loznitsa deserves praise. What a wonderful job he did.

It wasn't an easy task to adapt Vasil' Bykaw's short story. Everything is happening in 1942 on the territory of Belarus occupied by the German army. The Germans face strong resistance from the Partisans and hatred of most of the local people, but there are people who work with the Germans, because there were tough choices to make. Sushenya is a track-walker arrested and then suddenly released after three of his co-workers were hanged for blowing up a German train. Two Partisans, one of them his close friend have an order to capture Sushenya and lead him to the forest where they have to shoot him as a traitor... but life has different plans!

I haven't enjoyed such complex acting from the main characters for a long time. Vladimir Svirskiy as Sushenya, Vladislav Abashin as Burov and Sergei Kolesov as Voitik have three completely different characters and you could almost feel the way they think - they were working perfectly with each other to bring the feel of chemistry which is necessary for movies like this to feel real. And this one did!

If you are a fan of an intense, slow-burning and haunting drama, pick this one.
December 14, 2013
Has a lot in common with last year's bountiful imports "Once Upon a Time in Anatolia" from Turkey and "The Turin Horse" from Hungary, in that Russian writer-director Sergei Loznitsa's "In the Fog" is, if nothing else, PUNISHING AS ALL HELL to watch, and more than a bit of a slog to sit through. Easy to see why this didn't go over well with audiences in its native land (though ruskies of all people should theoretically have fallen hard for its pessimistic theatrics.)

That being said, I think there's something to be admired in a film so disinterested in any sort of payoffs. Loznitsa opens "In the Fog" with one of many exquisitely excruciating long takes, following a row of P.O.W.'s during WWII being lead to their deaths by hanging, before finally settling the camera's gaze away from the action as we hear necks break against nooses and the movie bumps up the title card. It's wound with a suitably grim fuse, as "Fog" jumps gracefully out of narrative order to give us glimpses into the lives of a rail worker (Vladimir Svirskiy) and two soviet officers (Vladislav Abashin and Sergei Kolesov) preceding and succeeding the means to this gruesome ultimatum.

Taking visual cues from the likes of Andrei Tarkovsky, Alexander Sokurov and even Romania's Cristian Mungiu, it's hard not to be impressed by the shear aesthetic ambition of Loznitsa's sophomore feature. "In the Fog" may be hard to love, but it's equally tough to shake. (77/100)
March 9, 2014
I found this to be relatively impenetrable. It seems I'm not the only one. I really went into this one wanting to like it too. Perhaps one day I'll try again.
February 15, 2014
Curiously captivating despite subdued action and carefully meted out dialogue.
December 21, 2013
I suppose that the flashbacks were deemed necessary for dramatic purposes. I'm not sure why. In The Fog is not, after all, a mysterious whodunit. It's a morality tale, and a good one at that. Does one ever really doubt Sushenha's fundamental honesty? The story should have been related straight, without flashbacks.
Otherwise -- excellent.
December 19, 2013
Quite uninteresting.
November 25, 2013
Untuk menonton film ini dibutuhkan mod yang bagus, karena film ini bisa bikin ngantuk.
June 10, 2013
most interesting war movie i've seen,not better than others,but definitely inspires emotions,especially at the very end,it's a little sad too,but that's expected cause it's WWll ,recommended if you don't mind 2 hours psychological and emotional war film

August 11, 2013

If you are a fan of an intense, slow-burning and haunting drama, pick this one.
July 19, 2013
While Loznitsa's film undoubtedly feels different in the way in which it is structured, its storyline is not as original. In the Fog also occasionally suffers by a frustrating lack of urgency.
June 12, 2013
This for the people that work for rotten Tomtos. I live in NY city and you said that the film critic of NY daily news gave a bad review but when I read his review he gave superman three stars and for a news paper to give that in NY city is a good movie so get your facts right and change his rotten tomtas into a good tomtas
Michael H.
February 21, 2013
Three men enter the forest; two to execute the third. They are attacked and have to depend on each other as they move slowly and inexorably through the fog, with occasional, ominous sounds of battle at some unknown proximity. We gradually learn why the men set out toward their initial goal and how they were led to the choice.
February 2, 2013
Despite moving at a slow pace, the story unravels with great intensity. The beautiful cinematography also adds much artistry and lyricism to the film's dark and depressing mood. The ponderous nature of the film sets itself apart from most films about war, and the lead Vladimir Svirskiy delivered such a poised but emotionally nuanced performance that I find quietly powerful. The film also has one of the most haunting, artistic and beautiful "last shot" I've seen!