The Vampire Bat (Blood Sucker) (Forced to Sin) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Vampire Bat (Blood Sucker) (Forced to Sin) Reviews

FilmFanatik
½ May 14, 2011
An extremely silly film, but with an interesting plot. It's always nice to see Fay Wray on the screen. Melvyn Douglas does some nice work, as does Lionel Atwill, but it's a very poor package that they're wrapped up in that has only the slightest promise.
366weirdmovies
November 1, 2010
Quickie poverty row Dracula knockoff about a plague of vampiric activity in a German village: is it a real vampire, bloodsucking bats, or a human killer posing as a nosferatu? The flick features a good cast (Lionel Atwill, Fay Wray, Melvyn Douglas, and Dwight Frye) and it starts with strong Gothic atmosphere, but fizzles out as the plot is revealed.
½ September 3, 2010
This movie is kind of silly, and I hated the ending.
½ April 15, 2013
He's in league with the devil

A legend of vampire bats that can transform humans into bloodsucking creatures plagues a small town in central Europe. When people seem to rise from the dead and kill each other it appears history may be repeating itself. A detective believes he can diagnose the issue and capture the mad man responsible. The villagers believe it is the return of the horrid creatures. Who is right and how will they stop the killer?

"Cause of death?"
"Like all the rest."

Frank Strayer, director of The Monster Walks, Blondie, Condemned to Live, Hot Water, Laughing at Trouble, Hitch Hike to Heaven, and Fifteen Wives, delivers Vampire Bat. The storyline for this picture is just okay and relies too much on script and not enough on kill scenes or dramatic sequences. The acting is okay but a bit disappointing. The cast includes Lionel Atwill, Fay Wray, Melvyn Douglas, and George Stone.

"He never works and he never bathes."

I DVR'd this picture off Turner Classic Movies (TCM) because I am a huge fan of the classic horror genre and was actually surprised I had never seen this. I have a lot of respect for Atwill based on his movies I have seen to date but this is far from one of his better pictures. Overall, this is pretty boring and I would skip this even if you are a fan of the genre.

"The devil's signature."

Grade: C
March 11, 2012
A slow film with a few good moments but overall is boring. The characters aren't too good and the ending isn't too great. This film doesn't offer a lot to see.
½ September 10, 2010
Eh... I guess its on my crappy old school horror movies compilation that I fall asleep to... so it is definitely good for that...otherwise its forgettable and boring
March 31, 2010
The Vampire Bat is not scary at all by any sense of the word, it is actually pretty boring. I have been watching alot of "horror" movies from the 30's and I really didn't enjoy this one. There are very few positives about this movie, one of them being Dwight Frye. This man is a horror legend from the 30's. Also the sound and picture are pretty decent, being from the 30's that is, that was really something that I enjoyed.

The plot goes a little something like this... hit it! Well a bunch of people start showing up with their blood being drained. No one in this town knows what is going on or who is doing it. But it doesn't take the town long to point their fingers at the dimwitted Glieb, played of course to perfection by Dwight Frye. Is Herman Glieb innocent? You will have to watch to find out!

Yeah thats all that I have to go on, I wouldn't watch this again but I will say that you should see it if you are a true horror fan, just for Dwight Frye's performance. Overall I am going to give this movie a 4 of 10. Like I said... True Horror Fans.

S!D
May 28, 2009
A forgettable, ridiculous, and cliched film with a plot that made little sense and performances that ranged from glaringly over-the-top to dreadfully wooden.
½ March 28, 2008
OK, I wasn't expecting much from this flick, and it certainly delivered that. The movie was very predictable. Any movie that features a mentally challenged man being forced to commit suicide by a mob seeking to put a stake through his heart is not so great in my book.
½ November 1, 2007
I'm not sue this is the movie I saw but the same name...
The Detective in it had me laughing in a part with the sarcasm. The way he gets the grandmother going!
October 7, 2007
Low budget fright fest for a 1933 film. I'm sure it creeped out the ladies in the theaters at the time and made the snuggle up close to their man, just as intended. For the time and budget, this movie was done well with good moving pace, but easy to guess plot. Although the blob the evil doctor was growing in his fish tank looked more like a sea sponge with a heart beat.

As Herman said, "give me an apple and I'll give you a warm fuzzy bat." Poor Herman, he was just misunderstood.
February 28, 2007
The Vampire Bat (aka "Forced to Sin" and "The Blood Sucker")
Starring: Melvyn Douglas, Lionel Atwill, Fay Wray, Dwight Frye, and Maude Eburne
Director: Frank Strayer

As a series of vampire-murders plunge a German village into superstitious hysteria, only Karl Brettschneider (Douglas), the local police inspector, refuses to believe in the undead. However, when one of the murders take place in a house where he is visiting with his girlfriend Ruth (Wray) and her boss Dr. Niemann (Atwill), even Karl starts to believe in vampires. But what is Niemann hiding behnd that locked door from his study... and how did Ruth come into possession of a cruxifix that belonged to one of the victims?

"The Vampire Bat" is part mystery film and part horror movie. It features a fairly simple script that is elevated by an excellent cast who all give fine performances--even the bit players put on great shows. Douglas and Wray are particularly good in the film, and they have an on-screen chemistry that makes the romance between their characters seem real. (In fact, the garden scene feels like one of the most realistic romantic exchanges of any film I've seen from this period.)

This is another minor classic from the formative years of the horror genre. It's no "White Zombie" or "Frankenstein", but it's a decent movie. I might have given this film a Seven rating if not for the underwhelming appearance of Ruth and Niemann's labs--the film's small budget shows more on that set than anywhere else in the picture--and for a structural issue with the story that ends up weakening the film's Big Reveal vis-a-vis the vampire murders.

I just realized that the last two reviews I've posted were both of movies directed by Frank Strayer AND both films had heroines named Ruth! Coincidence, or is the universe trying to communicate something?!
October 30, 2014
The Vampire Bat is an unexpectedly effective film. Although it is completely unapologetic about copying both Draculaand Frankenstein, the recycled elements are combined in a highly imaginative way that seems to reflect a much clearer and more developed understanding of what a horror film could be than either Tod Browning or James Whale possessed in 1931. And while the recasting of traditionally supernatural horror commonplaces?? werewolves and zombies especially?? as the products of mad science would become a recurring theme of poverty-row fright films in the 1940??s, few of those later movies would wed science to the supernatural with anything like the degree of care and craftsmanship on display in The Vampire Bat. Von Niemann??s technology-driven vampirism has an internal logic to it which is extremely rare among very old horror films (except for that part about using Emil as a remote-control killer?? that??s just plain silly), and the real nature of his research, when it is finally revealed, is both commendably ghoulish and commendably different from the earlier cinematic mad science which so obviously inspired it.
½ September 30, 2014
An interesting little horror programmer that has a great cast ... a cast that's far better than the plot they're stuck with. Frye is even better here than he is in "Dracula".
July 20, 2014
This movie kept you guessing at what would happen next. Nay, it kept you guessing at what was happening as you were watching it. I never expected a twist like the Epsom Salts at the end of The Vampire Bat.
½ April 15, 2013
He's in league with the devil

"Cause of death?"
"Like all the rest."

"He never works and he never bathes."

"The devil's signature."

Grade: C
½ April 11, 2013
Rather weak and derivative vampire tale is greatly helped by a good cast that includes Lionel Atwill, Fay Wray, and Melvyn Douglas. The film also benefits from poverty row film studio Majestic Pictures renting sets and props from the far superior James Whale directed "Frankenstein" and "Old Dark House."
½ April 4, 2013
Great cast and borrowed sets (from Universal) distinguish this poverty row thriller.
November 7, 2012
Typical horror/crime caper cheapie, but has some surprisingly good camera work and a really good cast. Loses half a star for not letting Fay Wray scream.
October 8, 2012
Obviously produced to cash in on the success of Dracula, but this nifty movie (which I think was a 1933 release not 32 as stated by RT), is up there in terms of quality with most of the Universal Horror series. A stellar cast carry this eerie movie which brings something new to the table and has hardly a dull moment. Stealing the show is the wonderful Dwight Frye with a typically mad performance. If you love the monster movies of the 30s and 40s this should definitely be on your list.