Vamps Reviews

April 20, 2013
Cute.
April 6, 2013
Yes, I realize this is not a great movie. And, no, I don't care. It's such good fun that I know I'll be rewatching this. Alicia pretty much plays Clueless as a vampire, but that's maybe not so surprising since Amy Heckerling wrote both. I tend to like her movies. Even Loser!
Krysten Ritter is also good here. She and Alicia were convincing as friends even with the age gap. Plot is a bit thin, but seriously if you take it lightly, this is really quite a fun little movie.
Harlequin68
½ February 28, 2014
In "Vamps," Goody(Alicia Silverstone) and Stacy(Krysten Ritter) are roommates in New York City. They are also vampires. While they are at the beck and call of their stem, Ciccerus(Sigourney Weaver), they otherwise work nights as janitors. In her spare time, Stacy catches up on her studies where she makes the acquaintance of Joey Van Helsing(Dan Stevens).

Even if "Vamps" had a consistent tone to call its own, it would still probably be something of a frustrating near miss, considering how long it takes to get to its idea of a plot. In short, it is what happens when vampires get too cute. But just as much, the movie goes with gross out humor to illustrate the eating habits of vampires before turning silly and even a little touching. And then it has some neat cinematic and historical references and can be relevant when discussing the rapid change of technology which you do not have to be a two hundred year old vampire to be intimidated by. Most impressive of all is how "Vamps" was about five minutes ahead of the curve when warning about the dangers of government surveillance.

As random as all of that sounds, that is nothing compared to the casting because nothing sounds like a romantic interest like Richard Lewis. Otherwise, "Vamps" violates the first rule of buddy movies with Alicia Silverstone and Krysten Ritter both operating on the same frequency. Dan Stevens is in the right movie but the wrong role while a de-fanged Malcolm McDowell is cute as a de-fanged Dracula. But all of that does not matter when the wonderful Wallace Shawn is on the screen, as he waits patiently for his very own action franchise.
January 28, 2014
Kinda cutesy fun, but ultimately nothing I see myself revisiting again and again, even if the leads are cute and some of the dialog is clever.

Worth a rental, but I don't think it'll be your new favorite thing.
½ November 11, 2012
Writer/director Amy Heckerling is best known for her films Fast Times at Ridgemont Hight (1982), Look Who's Talking (1989) and Clueless (1995). She hit the 'Fast Times' in 1982 and it was her first taste of success; but she played the Hollywood game very cautiously and while she did work steadily her hits were few-and-far-between -- although highly memorable. Her latest effort, Vamps, is a "vampires are people too flick" about two twenty-something (wink-wink-ahem) vampires who luckily like the nightlife. Goody (Alicia Silverstone - Clueless, Batman & Robin) is tasked with showing newbie-vampire, Stacy (Krysten Ritter - Confessions of a Shopaholic, 27 Dresses), the ropes as their creator, Cisserus (Sigourney Weaver - Ghostbusters, Copycat), travels the globe and causes as much trouble as she desires -- she'd eat an entire town if she wanted to do so. The dialogue, conversations and characters in Vamps are hilarious, Heckerling fun; but most of the reset of the film looks like a horrible mess. The special effects could have better if they had utilized some 2-dimensional animation! The genuine mirth one has for the characters at the film's beginning is soon replaced by the over-the-top schlock that is less-welcome than a stake.
½ August 16, 2015
It's CUTE, but it's kinda lame. And as far as vampires go, well since Twilight so many people HATE sparkling vampires... well picture HOT PINK sparkles... that's this.
½ October 2, 2014
how this pile of crap managed to get a 53% on here, I will never understand. Just goes to show how no one should trust ratings on rotten tomatoes. Alicia Silverstone delivers her performance once again as Cher from "Clueless". While that movie wasn't a good movie, for some reason I somewhat enjoyed it as a kid. Vamps provide no entertainment value except for the fact that the two leading vampires Goody and Stacy are extremely cute in a physical way, yet highly annoying.
June 3, 2014
+1 for Vizzini. Rest was shit.
April 24, 2014
Like Clueless, it's a charming little chick flick with a big heart. Smartly written although shoddily executed unfortunately. Still, it's a nice in-bed-with-my-laptop-and-chips kinda movie.
Harlequin68
½ February 28, 2014

December 29, 2013
Not the best but it can work well with children above 15.
November 17, 2013
Lighthearted vampire movie
½ November 4, 2013
Krysten Ritter and watching this in Peru subtitled in Spanish were both plusses.
October 12, 2013
a vampire movie that isn't old themed and not a cheesy teen "love triangle" vampire movie either
½ September 15, 2013
Vamps is a disappointed film. It is about two female vampires in modern-day New York City who are faced with daunting romantic possibilities. Alicia Silverstone and Krysten Ritter give terrible performances. The script is badly written. Amy Heckerling did a horrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
½ August 4, 2013
I went into this expecting Clueless with fangs, and that's exactly what I got, and so much more. This film is funny, touching and schmoopy. Alicia plays the role to a T, as I knew she would, but really, where does she get the nerve to still look THAT gorgeous?? I was a little surprised by the ending, I wasn't expecting such a light film to end so tragically, but it didn't take away from it at all. Clueless was, and still is, one of my very favorite guilty pleasures, and this one will take it's spot right next to it. A very solid 9/10.
½ August 4, 2013
July 29, 2013
Yes the directing is awful but truth is this is simply fun. Alicia silverstone and kristen Ritter makes a good team. Silly but lively. The whole cast is impressively notorious too. Worth watching for the laughs and and the witty comments about the changing of the eras..
April 15, 2013
So bad you HAVE to watch it to believe it.
April 12, 2013
This is a crappy Clueless crossed with a crappy teen vamp flick; mildly cute but misfires.