67% The Maze Runner Sep 19

83% Sons of Anarchy: Season 7

Vanilla Sky Reviews

Giovanni M.
September 14, 2014
It might warrant a second viewing, but Cameron Crowe's Vanilla Sky is a complex but shallow attempt at something new.
August 30, 2014
Original, but not enough to thrill me.
August 18, 2014
Confusing movie at times but ties together in the end. Great performances with palpable emotions.
August 9, 2014
An unnecessary English language remake of Abre Los Ojos that was about 30 mins too long for what it was. Stick with the original instead.
August 18, 2011
It does a mediocre job in redoing Open Your Eyes with scientology undertones and Penelope Cruz looked like she doesn't want to be in it.
July 19, 2014
Es tan incoherente y extraña que es genial.
September 10, 2011
Gone are all the things that made Penelope Cruz's performance worthwhile in the Spanish language original, a film by the name of Open Your Eyes. And Tom Cruise should know that before he fell from grace in '005, this was the second step to doing him in.
July 14, 2008
"I swallowed your cum. That means something!"

HA!
June 10, 2014
Supremely overlooked, it's quite visually hypnotic and emotionally powerful.
Sin K.
June 19, 2014
Amazing soundtrack, jumbled and somewhat incoherent story but still watchable and, dare I say, even enjoyable to an extent.
June 16, 2014
I hated this film when it first came out. The film was boring and pretentious and it tried to mind f*** you at the end. Unfortunately all the problems I thought were there the first time I saw it , were still present the second time.

Tom plays a very successful business man who gets disfigured in a car wreck and begins to go crazy. Did he kill his girlfriend? is his friend conspiring against him? He begins to unwind to the point of not knowing what is real or not.

The problem is, before we get to the confusing parts , we are not exactly sold on what was real. So when everything really does hit the fan , instead of being brought further into the story , we are far more aware of being nothing but observers waiting to see how it plays out.

We get so little help connecting to the story and what is happening , from the script and the characters , that is until character towards the end comes on to explain everything we have just spent the last 2 hours watching. Not a good sign when everything has to be explained like that.
Marc Cerone
January 16, 2014
Want to see.
Hmm, are we supposed to feel sympathy for his character?
March 10, 2014
Although not the biggest fan of Tom Cruise, with a versatile cast lined up Vanilla Sky sounded like an interesting film to check out.

Vanilla Sky starts out as an interesting film because it shows a sort of surreal mind for its main character David Aames as he differentiates between the universe around him and the mysteries of his mind, unable to himself to open his eyes, look up to the sky and see what exactly is real. So from the beginning of the film, it suggests that it will be an interesting and surreal look at the human psyche.
Soon though, the plot structure of Vanilla Sky becomes convoluted and it collapses under Cameron Crowe's ambition. It is clear that he wants to make Vanilla Sky an innovative blend of genres which tells the complex story of David Aames as he goes in to a reality warp, but unfortunately it just collapses in on itself pretty fast.
Vanilla Sky is like a massive jigsaw puzzle of Tom Cruise, and Cameron Crowe adds different pieces to the puzzle as the story goes on, but although he somehow pieces a story together out of everything, it is harder for audiences too. The structure of the story in Vanilla Sky is very complicated which means that it is very hard to actually be able to understand what goes where in terms of chronology. I couldn't understand what was happening, why or when it was happening and also what the deal with the characters were. It all became confusing very fast, and eventually I just had to let go of the fact that I would never be able to understand the film and then sit back and attempt to appreciate it for its many other positive values. But it still bothered me because the story in Vanilla Sky was fascinating and could have been seriously entertaining, but the treatment that Cameron Crowe ended up giving to it was not sufficient enough to actually hold it up. He lost control of things somewhere along the way, and it is likely that viewers will have the same problem in attempting to understand it. Those who can piece it together will appreciate its virtues, and many of its elements are good. But as a whole, the manic energy and the excess of ambition in the film wore me down and the fact that it kept on going all over the place left me mesmerised.
The more positive elements of Vanilla Sky can be attributed to its visual style. The universe of the film is innovative and mysterious, as well as very interesting. It had a slight futuristic feel mixed with a contemporary feeling to it against the backdrop of a mysterious atmosphere which meant that it constantly had me curious about it. And it was captured with atmospheric cinematography and edited well.
But the thing that constantly kept the atmosphere of the film in tact and interesting was its soundtrack. I never really believed that the story was actually happening because of the music, and it had me suspended somewhere between reality and disbelief. It was an interesting experience, and even though it was a long and slowly paced one, the kind of feeling that I got from watching the film made it worth the viewing experience. I wouldn't necessarily say that Vanilla Sky was a good film, but it was worth the viewing because of its atmosphere. Its music keeps the mood of the film consistently lighthearted and mysterious, as if the entire film is some kind of dream. And that makes it successful in some of its ambitions and therefore Cameron Crowe deserves praise for achieving that. He creates an interesting feel for the movie, he just doesn't do enough to make the film consistently interesting in terms of its story or script.
But the aspect of the film that I did find myself consistently enjoying was the talents of the cast.
Like I said, I'm not such a big fan of Tom Cruise, and the critical consensus on Rotten Tomatoes dictated that his performance lacked depth and wasn't that compelling. Although it wasn't perfect, I thought it was good enough. He is a bit egotistical in the role, but unlike in many of his other films, it is no problem in Vanilla Sky. His character David Aames is confused and trapped within the barriers of his mind, unable to break free and realise what reality is. He creates a distressed character without going melodramatic, and he finds a balance between lighthearted and seriously emotional in the part. While other viewers may find that he leans in a single direction, I found his lead performance was good and that his complicated character was one that he was up to the challenge for, and therefore I enjoyed Tom Cruise's effort in Vanilla Sky.
Cameron Diaz's performance was also spectacular. Trapped within a strange universe, Cameron Diaz does everything that she can for the part and makes a seriously compelling and enjoyable effort within a short amount of time on screen. Without fear, Cameron Diaz projects a lot of fierce emotional strength into her part when she interacts with Tom Cruise which means that at her own command she is able to easily steal the screen. Cameron Diaz manages to deliver some admirable and charming dramatic moments in Vanilla Sky which make her a memorable and genial presence in the film.
Penelope Cruz also does a fine job. Although her performance is not flawless and her character is imperfect, her natural charm and charisma make her an entertaining presence in the film and her character is likable, so it is easy to see just how she becomes the product of David Aames' affections in the story. Penelope Cruz is a nice actress to have on board in Vanilla Sky.
And lastly, Kurty Russell gives a good small supporting performance as well during his brief screen time in Vanilla Sky.

But despite the talents of the cast, the atmosphere and the soundtrack of the film, Vanilla Sky is too convoluted to seriously qualify as great entertainment in my opinion.
May 10, 2014
Another Tom Cruise vehicle to display his acting capacities. The cast is nice but the film is somehow a little hard to follow and Tom Cruise fails to convince entirely. Cameron Crowe display an interesting sensibility in this film by his choices of storytelling, art direction and soundtrack. The film is nice to look at but feels a little too polished and Americanized in my opinion.
May 10, 2014
An interesting story ruined by a bad narrative. The twist feels like an add on, this is when the film really drags. The dialogue between Cruz and Cruise is ridiculous and at times cringe worthy. It could have worked maybe it it had been directed by M.Night Shyamalan - He was in his prime during this era.
VultureVault
May 5, 2014
A shallow, bland attempt about a man who got what he deserved when his womanizing ways send him into a car accident that screws up his face and sanity. Dreams and reality collide, sending the viewer into that incoherent phase. What distracts the most is Cameron Crowe's way of building moments of sheer sentimentality in order to sensationalize the story and giving it's character sympathy. That act of manipulation wasn't appealing to me. It's direction and musical choices serve well, but each moment felt more subjective to me as it went on. I would suggest seeing the original, but even that one was just as bad.
April 15, 2014
Simple the best movie about why just little thing matters.
Those who dont understand ... Sorry ... You need some ... Evolution in your mind
April 26, 2012
I... actually enjoyed this one. Though, it is definitely not as good as the original Spanish film. Cruise does an alright job, and while the soundtrack is good on its own, its placement during pivotal scenes is definitely hit and miss. The film does come across as overly sentimental and sappy at times, especially toward the end, which was significantly less happy in the original film. Overall, not as bad as many people are saying, but still not fantastic, especially when compared to Abre Los Ojos.
March 27, 2014
Look, really not a cruise fan, however, I like this American version of this very f**ked up storyline. Also, it's got one of the greatest soundtracks.
October 14, 2007
To most of us the real life is the life we do not lead. ~ Oscar Wilde