68% The Equalizer Sep 26

Vanishing Waves Reviews

366weirdmovies
366weirdmovies

February 10, 2014
A scientist experimenting with technology that would allow people to enter the minds of others creates an ethical dilemma when he falls in love with his subject: a young woman trapped in a coma. Inventive visuals, strange eroticism and a confusing third act highlight this literal mind trip, an unusual and expensive-looking science fiction piece from Lithuania.
Mike N.
September 8, 2014
Although there are some parts I personally did not like to much, overall it was a really great original story.
November 25, 2013
unique plot but bad implementation
October 12, 2013
Phantastic Filmart with very interesting topic, touching story and amazing pictures and sound weaving.
January 24, 2013
A dream, living inside someone else's head. Strongly visual and yet physical in what it represents. But the plot is barely there since the researcher utterly fails to look into the history of the patient.

As a three-star, I mean to rate this as a movie that is a good example of the genre, but one has to understand the the genre is "fever dream" and that the explorations are deeply psychological and melodramatic. It does not have wider appeal than this genre.

That said, the work of the director and creative designer (co-writers too), produces drawn out moments exploring sex, physicality, insecurity and rage. The decision to place 75% of the screen time inside the shared mind of one of the characters leaves us seeing metaphor and personal history blended into representations of the phantom relationship between the researcher and the patient.

Missing here is any sort of investigation of the patient's life by the researcher who is becoming obsessed. Or piecing together moments of imagery into a clearer narrative that the researcher relates to his confidant. These clear paths to a plot were avoided, which I think was a regrettable choice.