20% Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Vanity Fair Reviews

Nicki M

January 17, 2008
I see I liked this as I rated it 4 stars, but just tried to rewatch it today and it honestly did nothing for me. I don't like period pieces in general, I can only put it down to I was going through a Reese Witherspoon phase. That might have cooled a bit since her drunken antics, although there are still movies I love her in. This apparently isn't one of them. Will keep original rating as it was valid at the time, and to be fair I switched this off 20 minutes in and can't remember a lot about it, maybe it improves.
Oh, and Reese staring in this while pregnant was a real dud move. They have filmed and dressed her to hide it, but it's still pretty obvious.
Jennifer X

April 30, 2011
Yuck, just yuck. Long, dull, boring, ridiculous. So much does not make sense about this movie it's ludicrous why Mira Nair would decide to set part of in India. I know part of this is Thackeray's problem and not Nair's, but...seriously?
thmtsang
thmtsang

July 14, 2007
Period drama about a governess called Becky Sharp who is a ruthless social climber who will do anything to stay in London society. Good cast. Reese Wetherspoon is delightful.
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

February 1, 2010
I honestly lost complete interest about half way in. Please know this NEVER happens. I loved the costumes and I like Reese Witherspoon, but it was just so stuffy and dull. Ugh.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 13, 2009
All's fair in love & war.
MissMorganLeee
MissMorganLeee

April 6, 2007
This is a beautifully made movie! although it was a bit like a jane austen novel was attcked by a bollywood productions, i still love the colors and the costume!
I was ver surprised by Reese Witherspoon, she carried this role very well and i think was just the one to play it. Although her motives were not always the best she still kept her character likeable!
I was not satified with the ending tho! I would have like to see Becky get what was coming to her. There needed to be a coast involed, yes she lost her husband and son buy she didnt seem all that put out by it. i would to have liked to mybe see her go all the way back down be bing a maid.
vieras e

December 25, 2008
I watched this solely for the deliciousness that is James Purefoy in Regency attire.
Sophie B

December 25, 2007
Great acting/costumes/casthowever I felt he story waquite confusing and not followable. Overall good.
Kylie B

July 6, 2007
Not entirely accurate to the novel, and gallops through the plot - but then, the novel is large and the film can only be so long. I can see Mira Nair's influence, the colours are so rich and vivid, just like in Monsoon Wedding. She makes more of the Indian connection when it was barely anything in the novel, but that simply adds a fresh side to the established plot.
The cast were't exactly like I would've imagined, but they do really well. I'm not sure that I like what they've done to Dobbin though (he was certainly not as handsome as here). The satircal humour of the novel remains embedded, though part of the enjoyment of the novel was (for me anyway) Becky's lack of emotion, and they've made her a tiny bit too soft, I feel.
All in all, a lot better than I'd been expecting.
Rico Z

July 4, 2006
This movie was nearly perfect. Reese Witherspoon should have been nominated for an Oscar for this performance. It was also one of those movies that came and went thanks to the brilliant marketing people at the production company.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

February 13, 2006
[font=Century Gothic]In "Vanity Fair", daughter of a French opera singer and an English painter, Becky Sharp(Reese Witherspoon), is subsequently orphaned and given over to be educated at a girls' school. In 1815, not staying a second longer than she has to, she finds employment as a governess with a lesser aristrocrat in the distant countryside. On the way there, she spends a week with the family of her only friend, Amelia Sedley(Romola Garai). Amelia finds love with the dashing officer, George Osborne(Jonathan Rhys Meyers), as Becky moves on to her destiny...[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]I had seen the 1932 movie of William Makepeace Thackeray's novel of the conflict between impoverished aristocrats and the increasing middle class but recall little of it. This version of "Vanity Fair" is a handsome enough production but there is no depth and unnecessarily makes a couple of detours via India. Of a large cast, only Romola Garai and Rhys Ifans, surprisingly playing a normal human being, have any impact at all. [/font]
PantaOz
PantaOz

February 19, 2010
Over 2 hours and 20 minutes of intrigue and real life drama is easy to follow only if you're a historical movie fan... but Mira Nair makes you become one if you're not! Solid work!
Dannielle A

February 15, 2008
A lot better than I thought it would be! A story of two women and the men they were supposed to end up with but went down different paths. You'll love the twists and turns and the great ending!
meril l

December 19, 2009
Decadent and OTT, just as Vanity Fair should be. It definitely skips some stuff from the novel, but how can it not, as that tome is long and complicated. It probably trivializes some elements of the plot that Thackeray meant to emphasize, and I felt that Rawdon was made smarter than he should have been, but movies do not always have to be exactly faithful to the novel - they need to be movies! I for one enjoyed it.
Yinalí R

July 7, 2007
Very interesting really.
Angela A

September 7, 2007
Pretty dresses & warped social lives. It's mindless pretty. Enjoy that or just don't watch it.
Juli R

June 4, 2011
Of course I liked this costume drama. Reese Witherspoon is effortless in her portrayal of Becky Sharp. I am becoming a real fan of director Mira Nair (Monsoon Wedding), who captures the role India played in the British imagination at the time. I quite like the more positive view of Becky Sharp and other characters. Character faults can be understandable. My only complaint is that the movie dumbed down the book with regard to the relationship with the Marquess of Steyne. She would have had to do more than smile at him to make up for his favour! Nonetheless an enjoyable romp if you are into period pieces.