Movies Like A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas

A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas Reviews

cosmo313
cosmo313

June 30, 2011
This is a decently entertaining and adequate film, though, in the end, it's really not all that special. I think I liked it a little more than its predecessor, since it didn't take things to such an extreme level straddling the line between offensive funny and just offensively bad taste.

Oh, believe me, there's some bad taste type of stuff here, it just didn't seem as overkill. I think this could have been a lot better had they come up with a far stronger and fresher script, but at least they got creative with the 3D (even if I did have to see it in 2D. Plus, they did seem to have fun by making it a Christmas movie (the claymation part is pure gold).

Unlike part two which took place within an hour after the first, this one is set several years later. Harold and Kumar have drifted apart and have become estranged. Harold is a married man whose become a responsible straightlaced (read: boring) adult, while Kumar has remained the apathetic juvenile.

Fate brings them together on Christmas Eve, and, after some typical shenanigans, the duo are forced to search for the perfect Christmas tree after Harold's father-in-law's prized one is destroyed. What follows is the typical madcap adventutre with all kinds of over the top nuttiness, vulgarity, and laughs, with some (but not too much this time) subtext thrown in for good measure. There's no Meloni cameo, but Elias Koteas does a good job in his place. Also, Danny Trejo wearing Christmas sweaters and playing against type (mostly) is one of the funniest things ever.

All in all, an entertaining return, but not as awesome as it should have been. Still, it's short, not boring, and an okay way to spend some time.
Albert K

June 8, 2012
A surprise hit in my book.

I've never seen the Harold & Kumar installments so maybe that's why this 3rd iteration was an enjoyable one for me. It's everything you could expect from a flick like this: Grotesque, abidingly crude, and vulgarity that's thrown in your face; it's also a lot of fun.

This offensive flick throws a lot comedic punches that, most of the time, misses, but every now and then, it finds a haymaker comes from nowhere and results in laugh out loud laughter. I found myself getting lost in gleeful laughter and hooked into the simple but entertaining narrative. Yeah, the 3D formatting is blatantly thrown in, and yes, it isn't the most fantastically well-thought-out film, but it shamelessly embraces all of it, suspending all kinds of beliefs from all over. It's a raunchy movie that doesn't care how ridiculously over-the-top things can get; it's here to entertain. With such an audacious full-front assault towards it's repulsive personality, obviously I had my gripes with the film, but not for it's offensive behavior; this eccentric execution usually comes coupled with poor technicalities and a real poor respect towards the art of filmmaking. Plus, it's simply not my type of movie.

Nevertheless, "A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas" took me by a wild surprise; my expectation was that equivalent to the more recent Van Wilder flicks. This is a profane caricature that draws its comedic value through its sarcastic outlook on everyday life. It's entertaining
Dan S

April 13, 2012
A competently made sequel about everyone's favorite stoner-buddies and how they are reunited after two years, each feeling distant from one another, but willing to give their friendship one last shot. The laughs, as per the first sequel, are scatter-shot and lacking consistency, but who cares? This is a pure stoner comedy that is very funny despite being really, really stupid. It does not possess the inescapable charm the first film had, but the pace is quick, the laughs are solid, and of course Santa Claus is involved somehow in a disrespectful way. Simply put, if you liked the first two, you will like this one as well. If you can't take perverse humor or a multitude of sex/drug jokes, you will probably hate it. Overall, I liked it, not enough to say it is completely worth watching, but it is enjoyable.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

September 5, 2011
Cast: John Cho, Kal Penn, Neil Patrick Harris, Amir Blumenfeld, Paula GarcÚs, Danneel Ackles, Thomas Lennon, Danny Trejo, David Krumholtz, Eddie Kaye Thomas, Patton Oswalt, Elias Koteas

Director: Todd Strauss-Schulson

Summary: When Kumar burns down Harold's family Christmas tree on Christmas Eve, the stoner pals set out on a last-minute, pot-fueled quest through Manhattan to find a replacement tree, getting tangled up with mobsters and other shady characters along the way.

My Thoughts: "I am a little disappointed. I was intending for this film to be much funnier. I didn't even laugh out loud once. I was really looking forward to this movie so it sucks that it was such a disappointment for me. The movie seemed to be trying to hard to be funny that it ended up being just smirk worthy. I'm a big fan of these films and I hope they make another one, and hopefully it's better."
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

February 22, 2012
Probably better than the second one but that isn't saying anything. They made a bunch of Cheech and Chongs, and now we have 3 Harold and Kumars, Harold and Kumar #1 was hilarious, never had franchise potential. But since they made a second one, which was shatful, why not make a third one?
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

February 12, 2012
Third entry in the Harold & Kumar trilogy is a rare example of a good effective comedy that still manages to be funny. This film manages to be just as funny as the first two films. I thought this film was hilarious from start to finish. I think that this film was a fine conclusion. This film had all the elements that made the first films good comedies. If you've enjoyed the first two films, then you're most likely going to enjoy this one. The film still plenty of good comedic bits for you to laugh and though the film sometimes is uneven, for the most part it succeeds where most sequels fail. I think that this comedy was just as good as the first two and that fans of the first two will enjoy this just as much. This film is a guaranteed good time. There's plenty of good jokes that keeps the film moving along. The cast are good, and make the film a must see for fans of the first two films. Personally, I think that this is the best Christmas film since Bad Santa. Standout elements of the film is the performance of Neil Patrick Harris. He always makes these films better than they are, and he's just as funny here as he was in the first two films. This film brings on the laughs and like the first two is a pleasant time waster. There's plenty of good things going for this film to appeal to the fans and in my opinion this is a fine way to close the series, as the ideas expressed on-screen are very good, fun and above all still funny. This series is the rare example of a comedic trilogy of films that still has enough wit to be entertaining fun.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

February 1, 2012
"Christmas comes prematurely"

Six years after their Guantanamo Bay adventure, stoner buds Harold Lee and Kumar Patel cause a holiday fracas by inadvertently burning down Harold's father-in-law's prize Christmas tree.

REVIEW
Harold (John Cho) has put his stoner past behind him and, married to Maria, has adopted a very conventional lifestyle with a view to trying to ingratiate himself with her father (Danny Trejo, trading on his bad-ass screen persona). Specifically, he is put Kumar (Kal Penn) behind him, because Kumar is still deep in weed, which fact is responsible for the various mishaps they went through in the earlier films. When a package arrives at Kumar's apartment for Harold, and Kumar takes it to him, the immediate result is the burning down of the Christmas tree brought by Maria's father, followed by a panic stricken search for a replacement which, itself results in a number of prejudicial predicaments.

I think part of the reason the first movie worked so well is because going to White Castle is, relatively, a very simple, ordinary trip. But when it's Harold and Kumar it becomes a very wild adventure. For this third movie, Harold and Kumar are back to turn a routine errand into a hair-raising, hazardous experience. Harold has to decorate a Christmas tree. But even though it may not have lived up to the previous ones, Harold and Kumar prove once again that as far as epic stoner comedies go, they can't be beat. This one left me sore from laughing, and with an itch to see more (even though, once again, I wasn't stoned). I strongly suggest you get a big group to go to this one; the more laughs around you, the funnier this movie will be.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

Christmas comes prematurely

Funny! Where do they come up with so many funny nonsense? Wow. The story does not have much to offer you but dark humor and funny stuff, that's about it. If you liked the Harold and Kumar movies from before you will enjoy this one.

Six years have elapsed since Guantanemo Bay, leaving Harold and Kumar estranged from one another with very different families, friends and lives. But when Kumar arrives on Harold's doorstep during the holiday season with a mysterious package in hand, he inadvertently burns down Harold's father-in-law's beloved Christmas tree. To fix the problem, Harold and Kumar embark on a mission through New York City to find the perfect Christmas tree, once again stumbling into trouble at every single turn.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

January 14, 2011
Why in the name of Santa's nut sack didn't this come to the cinemas in Sweden? It would have been so great to see it in 3D and during the holiday season. But alas, I had to settle with the 2D rental version. After finally getting the chance to see it though, I have to say I'm a little disappointed. Not that I expected pure gold, but I was hoping it would be something more than just your average comedy. The stoner humor and raunchiness is still very much present, but there's been an evident shift in directing-style and degeneration of the jokes, which didn't sit too well with me. It's like waking up on Christmas morning and finding your stocking full of carbonized turds. It's not the Harold and Kumar I love and remember, but merely a bleak reflection of their former, pot-smoking glory. None of this can really be blamed on the actors though. Kal Penn and John Cho delivers the goods to the best of their ability, and Neil Patrick Harris preserves his status as one of the most awesome living legends of our time. So if anyone is to be accused of laziness, it's director Todd Strauss-Schulson, along with the four hacks who wrote the screenplay. In spite of all this, however, I had a fairly good time with it. There is enough fun gags to keep you entertained and I enjoyed how it spoofed its own use of 3D. Still a letdown, no doubt, but at least the dynamic duo haven't lost any of their R-rated charm. Because nothing says Christmas spirit like a magical joint delivered by Santa himself.
Michael S

November 4, 2011
"A Very Harold and Kumar Christmas." The title alone evokes the memories of a wildly uneven film; One filled with unsuccessful jokes and some running gags that never worked to begin with! But this ain't no lump of coal.

It's actually quite the good time! Not all of the jokes stick, and the tone is basically non-existent, but this is due to the fact that "Harold and Kumar" does absolutely everything it can to garner laughs (including throwing good taste clear out the window). The jokes are rude, crude, and in the the vein of the previous film in the franchise. It should come as no surprise that the film struggles with it's own excess from time to time, but when the humor (both verbal and physical) hits it's mark, Harold and Kumar's third outing boarders on being the funniest film of the year. It's over the top and silly (sometimes exhaustingly so), but when it works, it works hard.

The cast is great here, with Penn and Cho as likable as ever. A slew of extended cameos (most notably Danny Trejo and Neil Patrick Harris once again) really liven and shake things up. To bad the unnecessary 3D did not.

This is a seriously funny film that's many faults can be easily overlooked. It doesn't take itself seriously and is a romp that knows what it wants to be; A good, ridiculous time. You know what? It works!
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

November 28, 2011
For years I labored under the delusion that Harold and Kumar were spin-off characters from the "American Pie" films. In fact, John Cho (Harold) was in the first one, and was the character who coined the phrase "MILF". One thing about those American Pie films, they liked to advance the kids fast: the time between sequels was often reflected in the changes in the characters lives. This new Harold & Kumar film comes six years after the last one takes place (Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay), and big changes are reflected in the characters' lives. For starters, the two are no longer bosom buddies: Harold has moved up the corporate ladder and has a beautiful home he shares with his beautiful wife, Maria (Paula Garces). Kumar, on the other hand, is still sitting around the old apartment getting high. When a mysterious package arrives for Harold at the apartment, Kumar and his horny nerd neighbor, Adrian (Amir Blumenfeld) make a stop in the suburbs to drop it off at Harold's. Through a series of unlikely events, Harold's father-in-law's (Danny Trejo) prized christmas tree gets torched and it's up to the pair to re-unite in order to replace the tree before the in-laws come home from midnight mass. No, it's not a very convincing plot (it's not even as creative as Guantanamo Bay), and there's a sparsity of laughs as compared to previous films. But worst of all, Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas makes the deadly mistake of letting their characters grow up, from slacker/stoner dudes to men with grown up responsibilities and jobs. Sure, there are some token tokes, but the guys spend more of the movie chasing after christmas trees and running away from some random bad guys. It's all a lot of harmless dumb fun that doesn't add up to much.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

August 17, 2011
A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas is the third entry in the stoner series and is a hilarious film that lives up to the hilarious misadventures of the two dope heads that we know and love. The story is simple really, Harold andKumar have not talked in a few years and both have moved on, Harold becoming a very successful businessman and Kumar being a lazy bum. When Kumar drops off a present for Harold and sets his tree on fire with his joint, Harold and Kumar have one of the most f#cked up nights of their lives trying to find a new tree so Harolds father in law wil like him, and of course, everything goes completely wrong with everything they do. The plot of the film is a fun story for people who have enjoyed the series and is a great way to spend a afternoon, this is not genius writing but it was almost exactly what I was hoping for with this film, another entry in the series that just involves these two getting into problems over and over, and they keep the characters still incredible, Harold being still a overdramatic good hearted guy, Kumar being the same weed obsessed retard, and Neil Patrick Harris still being a hardcore sociopath. The cast is still as good as they have ever been. Kal Penn is as fun as he was in the first two. John Cho has never been the funniest person in this series, but hey, other people may disagree with what I think, and for what its worth, hes got a few moments where I had a chuckle. Neil Patrick Harris is one of the funnies actors in Hollywood, I mean i cannot think of any actor as hilarious, fun, loveable, and cool as him, and what makes him even better is that he is not afraid to let the writers take a few stabs at his sexuality, and even though he is only on for a few minutes, those few moments are where the film truly shines if you ask me.. The comedy in the film was amazing, it was a major improvement over the second film that actually kind of bored me, I mean the part with the baby with the cocaine was truly comedy genius, and the Wafllebot almost made me piss my pants laughing, and this film never fails to not make me laugh and keep the great name of stoner comedy glowing. There are many problems with the film however, the whole Harold and Kumar haven't talked in years thing was kind of pointless, the claymation moment was not nerely as funny as I was hoping it to be, and there were a few moments where it may have been a little TOO disgusting for me, but all these problems are very minor for this being a good movie. This film is a movie that people will have a ball watching, a raunchy Christmas movie is just what you need to get in the holiday spirit, it reminded me of wathcing Bad Santa a little bit, but I am serious when I tell you that this movie did not dissapoint me with being a great addition to the series I have grown to sort of love.
Kase V

November 20, 2011
A prime example of taking the series too far, 'A Very Harold and Kumar Christmas' seem to be in it mostly for the money instead of the laughs. Although it still has its funny parts, the series has lost most of the shock value that made the first one so entertaining.
Everett J

November 22, 2011
"Harold and Kumar" are the modern "Cheech and Chong". Their first movie they went to White Castle, then they escaped from Guantanamo Bay. Now they light up Christmas like never before. Harold(John Cho) is now married, has a great job, but wants his wife's father to like him. Harold decides to make Christmas a huge deal at his house for the whole family in an attempt to win her Dad's love. Kumar is still a pothead who got kicked out of medical school, and finds out his ex girlfriend is pregnant. He then receives a package sent to his apartment addressed to Harold. They haven't seen each other for nearly 2 years, but he decides it's best to take the package to Harold. Once they meet up the fun begins and it never stops. This movie is non stops laughs and 3D gags(although I didn't watch it in 3D, I imagine it's pretty amazing and will be buying the 3D blu ray). I actually think this is the funniest of the three. It's a little more coherent(hard to ask for out of a pothead movie, i know) and an R rated Christmas comedy has really been missing. Neil Patrick Harris is back also and nearly steals the movie again, but is upstaged by a 3 year old drug addict(yeah I said it). If you need to get into the holiday spirit, want a great laugh, or just wanna get baked to a movie, then you should definitely check this out!
Liam G

November 21, 2011
To get me in the holiday spirit, it took none other than the new installment in the ''Harold and Kumar'' series. John Cho and Kal Penn return and deliver the comedic goods. Also returning is the amazing Neil Patrick Harris, who steals the show. What ''A Very Harold and Kumar Christmas'' succeeds so well at is balanching the raunchy, vulgar jokes with geniune heart and joy. The film never loses the Christmas spirit and it knows that not only does it have to be a great Harold and Kumar movie, it has to be a great Christmas movie. Unlike most comedies, which are sometimes very mean-spirited, ''Harold and Kumar 3D'' makes its characters likeable not just by their jokes, but by their attitude. These are people you wouldn't mind hanging out with. The jokes are creative and the writers do a terrific job of coming up with memorable one-liners. ''A Very Harold and Kumar Christmas'' is not only one of the best comedies of 2011, it's one of the best Christmas movies in a long time.
aSpaceCowboy
aSpaceCowboy

November 20, 2011
Not as gross or brain-dead as the last installment, and more charming than the first. It's cliched ridden, but with an open mind this movie could be for anyone to watch.
Alice S

November 20, 2011
Utterly disappointing. Not enough nudity or racism. At all. So much exposition. Kumar and Vanessa's plotline is uninspired. A scarily skeevy NPH and a hilariously hostile David Burtka are the only highlights.
Kevin C

November 18, 2011
Elf, A Christmas Story, and A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas; my Christmas classic playlist. So damn funny. So terrific. And most amazingly: I'm not even a big fan of Harold & Kumar.
Edward B

November 8, 2011
Back in high school, my friend and I purchased a rubber chicken that made orgasm noises every time you squeezed it. The harder the squeeze, the higher pitched the sound. We thought it would make a funny birthday gift. Being the immature teens that we were, we also thought it would be funny to continually squeeze the chicken in the food court. Nearby there was a mother, no older than 35, with her two children. I looked over at her. She was clearly trying to make a straight face, and maintain a real composure in front of her kids. When it was time to leave, my friend was having trouble fitting the chicken in his knapsack. He shoved it in. The chicken squeeled louder than any orgasm I'd ever heard up to that point. Most of the people in the food court turned around to see where that sound came from. But my attention was on the mother, who had finally given up and collapsed in a hoot of laughter.
Why am I telling you this story? Because it relates to A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas. Every joke in this movie is just wrong, offensive, and wholly inappropriate. But damn it, it's funny as hell. You may feel like the mother with her children. You shouldn't be laughing at the jokes in this movie, because they are the very jokes you as an adult should wholly disapprove. But you will laugh; you will laugh till it hurts. And hey, there's even a little bit of heart to this movie, about growing up and accepting the responsibilities that come with it. However, you're not watching this movie for that. You're watching it because you want to laugh at a baby getting high off weed, coke, and ecstasy. Yes, as a mature human being, you shouldn't think that's funny. But you do.