Very Young Girls - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Very Young Girls Reviews

November 10, 2010
OMG, this documentary is tragic. Girls so young with issues such as this is heartbreaking. These girls go into a lot of horrific details concerning their situations and why they do what they do to survive in the streets. If you have children, you should definitely see this. Its very disturbing.
March 11, 2010
Though it feels a bit drawn-out at times, an important, in-depth look at how manipulative it can be to enter prostitution in NYC.
September 4, 2009
Another documentary about pimps and whores. This one is mostly shown from the prostitute's perspective with interspliced home video footage shot by pimps. Several former and current prostitutes share their stories about why and when they chose the lifestyle (average age is 13). The girls talked of being beaten, threatened with death and having other prostitutes disappear. Many also talked of their families - some were rejected because of their job choice, others were encouraged to do this. Also shown was a mother searching for her teenage daughter who was in the lifestyle. It is clear that the Black attitude towards sex is not conducive to a proper society, yet it is sold as a viable alternative, something that is to be desired, through all the major media companies. This is a very revealing documentary about an extremely pervasive problem as the problem is encroaching on other racial groups in our now integrated society. Once again, I must stress, prostitution is not the problem, the pimps are. Remove the legal restrictions and women would not be subjected to this near-enslavement. I would recommend watching this in conjunction with American Pimp, not only because AP could be viewed as apologist or even glamorizing if you don't recognize what those filmmakers were actually doing, but because the other perspective is necessary to see the impact of their attitudes and beliefs.
July 18, 2010
This doc. is moving and says so much about our society today. It is a subject most would not want to learn about. It is tough to wrestle with; I would not want to be the director to tackle it. But you come away learning something and might even shed a tear or two.
½ March 14, 2010
interesting but too slow
½ January 1, 2010
Ok documentary but OMG these girls are so freaking stupid.
½ July 11, 2009
Got about 15 minutes into this documentary before I had to stop watching it...not because it was sad (which it was), but because it was repetitive. Why do some documentary film makers think that showing different people to tell what is essentially the same story over and over for 1 1/2 to 2 hours is acceptable? While I'm certainly no expert on making movies, I do know that this approach bores the audience to tears...and movies are supposed to entertain.
July 7, 2008
No one can watch this movie and feel complacent about the exploitation of young girls by pimps, johns and society. The problem is neglected, hidden and trivialised by Hollywood, the media and the police. This powerful documentary is full of pathos, courage, brutality, poverty, domestic violence, sisterhood, empathy and some hope which this director, GEMS and Rachel LLyod offer.
Seamus