—— Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Vicky Cristina Barcelona Reviews

Julie B

May 28, 2012
It's always fun to figure out which character is the Woody Allen. The cast is all great. Now I just need to find a great couple with a house in Spain who'd like to host me for the summer...
Lady D

January 22, 2009
A pleasant surprise, I expected this to be quite the chick flick, instead was a great travel film, with culture, romance, ups and downs and experimental feelings, totally enjoyed it.
Alexander D

August 12, 2011
What boosts VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA from being a sappy, shoddy romance is the tour de force performance from Pen├ (C)lope Cruz. Cruz portrays Maria Elena, a ruthless, suicidal shrew. Though only supporting to the plot, when she delivers her role, we are instantly attetive to her loud, implausible character. Furthermore, she ends the film on one of the most cinematically shocking, unpredictable, and eventually hysterical notes since...I'm having trouble finishing that sentence. With Cruz acting in her Oscar-winning role, it's easy to forget the comic icon who is directing. As a recent fan of writer-director Woody Allen, I expected something better than this. I had heard that BARCELONA was a romantic comedy, and I had also heard it was a romantic drama. Although two or three scenes were massively hilarious, this did not have enough scattered humor to call a comedy. This film certainly would have been at least ten times better as a pure romcom; outside of the genre, Allen seems to lack his fabulous chutzpah. If you happen to be curious about this film, or you are a fan of Pen├ (C)lope Cruz, go ahead; otherwise, I'd recommend skipping it. You will run the risk of Woody-philia, as this is not his usual effort.
Ken S

October 24, 2008
My favorite of the late period Allen films.
Matheus C

October 21, 2011
Even if it's one of the best of his latter pictures, it's still a run of the mill Woody Allen whose only reasons for standing out are the talented cast and the amazing sights of Barcelona. The liberated love story does generate some sparks, and Penelope Cruz comes as a force of nature that can run circles around Scarlett Johansson.
Idrees K

September 15, 2011
An interesting attempt at trying to explain the many different ways we all convey a single, complex emotion. Warm and heartfelt, but nothing mind blowing. Some solid acting performance and a Allen maintains a very consistent pace throughout the movie.
Raymond W

September 3, 2011
This is a beautiful tragicomedy, that shows off one of Spain's most beautiful cities, and also features bravura performances from the whole cast, but it really belongs to Bardem and Cruz.
Wildaly M

March 21, 2009
Not a big fan of Cruz, but this was pretty good I guess.
Mark H

August 12, 2008
Melancholy romantic drama about two American women on holiday. They soon meet an artist who invites them to vacation with him for the weekend. After a trio of films in London, Allen continues his European fascination with this story set in Spain. Despite the beautiful location shooting, this is essentially your standard issue Woody Allen tale of neurotic New Yorkers moaning and groaning about relationships. His ideas about love are oddly misanthropic. Vicky and Christina as tourists act like spoiled, rich American brats taken in by the first charismatic lothario that seduces them. Divorced painter Juan Antonio Gonzalo's mantra? "Only unfulfilled love can be romantic". That is to say, only the excitement of the chase is passionate, specifically the process of falling in love. He's at the center of a Casanova fantasy that believes any woman's depression can be undone by a good roll in the hay. Yet, these women don't even seem to know what they want and that's the point.

The performances are indeed expressive. As always, the dialogue is natural and it flows. Scarlett Johansson, in her 3rd effort with Woody, is capable as the shallow, free-spirited Christina. Also memorable is Rebecca Hall as the supposedly conventional Vicky. Given her conspicuous absence on the movie posters, she surprisingly has the single largest role. Although both of their principles (or lack of them) feel genuine, it doesn't make them any less emotionally weak. They're pretty delusional. For all the recognition lavished on Penelope Cruz, she makes her first appearance well into the second half of the picture. For once, she's allowed to speak Spanish in an American production, and she's all the better for it. To her credit, she doesn't fit your typical Woody Allen character, but she does come across as a bit of a madwoman.

You may be captivated by the chronicle's scenic charms, particularly if attending an outdoor Spanish guitar concert at night is your idea of heaven. I admit the celebration of Spanish culture is intoxicating. Curiously, this became Woody's biggest hit since Hannah and her Sisters, slightly out-earning the far superior Match Point. In the face of glaring flaws, Vicky Cristina Barcelona remains an interesting, albeit pessimistic critique on love.
familiar s

March 20, 2011
Quite a trippy ride, with a marginally more ups than downs.
cosmo313
cosmo313

January 4, 2011
As far as later Woody Allen movies go, this is one of the better and stronger ones. It does come off as an unrealistic fantasy, but what Woody Allen film doesn't? I mean, really. This wasn't the first Allen film that showed the world he was really behind the times and out of touch with the world, but I found it far more easier to stomach than Wahtever Works.

There's not much of a really stringent plot, but there doesn't really need to be. Two American feiends spend a summer in Barceolna and each one has their own ideas of love and intimacy, and what that want out of life put to the test. I liked the cast and they give good performances. The idea of American women swooning over a European Casanova is on the nose, but it's well played nonetheless. Besides giving good performances, everyone also seems to have really good chemistry with one another, making the experience of seeing them interact enjoyable.

I liked the music, I liked the locations, the camera wortk is wonderful, and the pacing is just right. The only real thing that stuck out for me was the narration. Is it necessary? Not completely, but the probelm is that it tells more than it shows, and the way it is used is redundant. It comes off as forced and it would have been better had it been used at different times and reworded.

This film does come across as a fossil from times long gone, but it's also really charming. There are some funny moments, but this is mostly a serious drama that just happens to have some humorous moments throughout. It's also really accessible in that one not need to be Jewish or extremely well versed in high culture to "get" it or get something out of it. It's light and breezy, but in a good way.
Saskia D

October 6, 2008
My first and last attempt to watch a Woody Allen movie. I love Penelope Cruz, but coudn't stand to finish it. So I didn't even get to see her.
I can't really say why I didn't like it, I think it's the way everybody communicates with each other (the same reason why I can't stand watching a full episode of the Gilmore Girls).
Nadira I

December 22, 2010
The movie captures Barcelona pretty well. Everything is so artistic. I love the narrator in this movie and the use of spanish language here and there. The story revolves between the two actresses, who have different perspectives of love. Penelope Cruz as Maria Elena, former love interest of Juan Antonio came along and makes everything more complicated. One of Woody Allen's best movie, "Vicky Christina Barcelona" had it all. Perfect summer movie that is funny and romantic.
neverteaseaweasel
neverteaseaweasel

November 30, 2009
Woody Allen has got to be one of the most inconsistent directors I have ever come across. Most of his films are pretty good, but how can a movie like this be followed by "Whatever Works"? They are just so different! One thing I really loved about this one that seemed sort of atypical for Allen's work is the style. It's really artsy and gorgeous. I also loved the narration and the way that the story plays out. It gently mocks and pokes fun at the characters and everything else; but not in a nasty way. It's just fun and playful. The whole film really is, really, and that's part of why I love it so much. It's just so breezy and debonair. My only disappointment is that I didn't view the film sooner. Oh, and Penelope Cruz is awesome. The. End
Ross C

February 5, 2009
Arrrrrrrrggggghhhhh! So false and pretentious! Americans, leave Almodˇvar movies to Almodˇvar. This was awful. Best watched on mute, so you can simply appreciate the Walt Disney version of Barcelona.
Alice S

August 16, 2008
How does one describe the aura of a Woody Allen drama? Beautifully devastating? Manically depressive? Excellent ensemble acting, save for Scarlett Johansson whose character doesn't seem deep enough for her to develop. Rebecca Hall is understatedly neurotic; Javier Bardem is quietly smoldering; and Penelope Cruz is just crazy crazy crazy!

Maria Elena is truly an original Woody Allen character: a destructive genius full of hate and passion. Oddly enough, she is the only one who truly entrusts her life and soul to her lovers in this complicated threesome. To feel happy at hearing Cristina and Juan Antonio making love, to utter perhaps the most candidly melodramatic line in the film, "Don't you realize how much we love you?" she is how I want to feel all the time. About love, loss, inspiration, stagnation.
stevenecarrier
stevenecarrier

July 24, 2010
"Vicky Cristina Barcelona" is one of Woody Allen's finer films. He deftly blends his dramatic and humanly comedic sensibilities with well drawn characters and a beautiful Catalan backdrop. Rebecca Hall and Scarlett Johansson are terrific in the lead roles and get great support from Javier Bardem, Penelope Cruz (in an Oscar winning role) and Patricia Clarkson. The film is honest, funny and a nice meditation on modern relationships. A fine film all around.
Dean !

March 5, 2010
A comedy? Really? Nope not sure how some have put it in that category. It is a relationship drama, although light-hearted most of the time. A great cast, good script but the ending left me feeling "oh,is that it?" Not big on dramas most of the time. This does deal with complex issues about love, desire, happiness and relationships and these subjects are often discussed in the film. To sum it up it is a film about a complex love square, let alone triangle, started as two friends on holiday embark on a holiday romance or is it more than that?
Drew S

June 20, 2010
Not too shabby. Can it really be called a "return to form" if Woody Allen keeps having them every five years?

I've already come to terms with my inability to get around Allen's auteurial conceits, and that perhaps someday if I become an infirm lonely intellectual I might start relating to them more. That said, I do think his films are stronger when he strays away from them. I guess this movie serves as an escapist fantasy just as much as something like Transformers 2 does - surely the folks watching an Allen film are there to see sharp people having literary conversations about how dreary and unfulfilled their lives are - but in making his two main characters late-college lasses, he's appealing to a younger niche that I don't think he's ever had an eye on. The whole film feels uncharacteristically youthful, with its bright lighting, breezy editing and pretty cast; has he come to the realization that there are youngsters out there who want to live out this fantasy, a month spent in a foreign country with no inhibitions? I think this refocusing serves him well, or at least it does to me, a listless 22-year-old. Though I can't necessarily relate to any of the characters here, I envy and admire the luxuries they're afforded.

Vicky and Cristina actually represent a pretty accurate cross-section of educated personalities. Vicky is straight-laced, studious and brutally intelligent, but still susceptible to the allure of the unknown and forbidden. As a portrait of capriciousness versus responsibility, she's compelling; Rebecca Hall actually manages a performance that isn't total wallpaper, loaning her character a very bookish and mature charm. Scarlett Johansson is a tougher sell. It's not impossible to believe that such a gorgeous woman should be so invested in art and creation, but her performance comes off less as restless but mostly languorous. Such is the danger of casting an actress whose trademark is casual, sexy detachment - sometimes it works for you, and sometimes it just communicates lifelessness. The fact that she's out of her depth does enhance Cristina's poseur tendencies, but not enough to excuse the lack of energy that she brings to the table. Penelope Cruz, as her Oscar might suggest, is the game-winner here, and her scant fifteen minutes of screentime feel much greater than it actually is. Javier Bardem does a good job at portraying, essentially, a more libidinous Latino version of Max Von Sydow's character in Hannah and Her Sisters, and Patricia Clarkson is allowed one scene that is surprisingly touching and really changes the game for Vicky.

Vicky Cristina Barcelona hosts a relatively strong story, but the weak link here is that Woody Allen seems to have lost confidence in his visual shorthand. Important scenes are told in inorganic flashback; most of the movie is scribbled over with an incessant, tedious voice-over that doesn't tell us anything a strong shot or actorly expression couldn't have. I truly think that the movie could have stood without it, because the characters are strong and natural enough to communicate the themes that they embody without a random voice floating over the proceedings. It probably seems amateurish to sit around and bitch about a movie having a voice over, but it's an amateurish voice over from a legendary director's 38th movie.
maxthesax
maxthesax

May 24, 2010
There's that age old question: "what do women want?". Here, Woody seems to posit that not even they know; from Vicky, who seems to want a stable, secure marriage, but then realizes that said security is boring and a trap , to Christina, who gets everything she seemingly wants, and still finds it wanting.

In the middle of these women is a Spanish artist, wonderfully played by Javier Bardem, who embodies bohemian ethos and wants nothing more than to love and be loved. Bardem is the glue that holds this film together, although Penelope Cruz is wonderful as his ex-wife and fellow artist (who may or may not be "crazy" - I'll let you decide).

The acting here, throughout, is above grade, and much of the dialog is as well; not to mention some lovely scenery. So then why do I resist rating this higher? Because, dear readers, I detest voice over narration! So often, and this film is no exception, I feel like the narrator is leading me around by the nose, not letting me feel or experience, or form my own opinion of the story arc. It's unfortunate, for the film has a lovely tone and delves into a very complex issue (love and all its trappings) with feeling.

This film, as kind of de riguer for Woody Allen films, was marketed as a romantic comedy - but I can't say strongly enough that it is NOT a comedy! There is nothing funny about any of the situations presented here, and there are no laugh out loud lines at all. If there is any humour to be found, it's only in the dark satiric skewering of the materialistic upper crust. It's not funny that Vicky seemingly resigns herself to an unhappy and unfulfilled life (the living of which is in itself a lie), or that Cristina seems unable to achieve a sense of balance and peace with her desires. As the closing narration states "Cristina didn't know what she wanted, only what she didn't want". That simple statement can be read so many ways, but I took it as an accusation to one with a restless soul, always looking for more than she has instead of being content and counting her blessings for all that she has already been given.