Vicky Cristina Barcelona Reviews

November 8, 2014
An entertaining movie in a gorgeous setting with gorgeous actors. It really makes you question what love is or what love can be.
February 24, 2013
People are complaining about this movie and I think it has something to do with their expectations. I've read reviews saying something about Woody and romance. If you're searching for that don't search here. This movie isn't romantic and Rom-com is hardly fitting for it. It's an intense drama done in a really lighthearted way (it is also a comedy although it's subtle and the laughs are few but well placed) and it works without denying the depth of the drama and that's why this movie is charming: A great script with some great lines, an outstanding cast with 4 very strong performances in the center (yes 4!) and some good capturing of Spain through the photography. It makes you think but while it's very serious in the core it's quite uplifting. The movie could have been negative so easily but it delivers through the right atmosphere.
October 9, 2010
Amazing performances from Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz. This is one of the better Woody Allen movies I have seen but not his absolute best. Johansson, Hall, Clarkson, and, Messina all were good as well. I didn't think the voice over narration was very necessary but I did love the music as every Allen film has.
October 19, 2014
I love the Wood Man's films and this one was enjoyably leading up to his pinnacle in this style: Midnight in Paris...but the ending sucked! It's as if the studio ran out of money and Woody had to abruptly end a story in mid-narrative. I wanted more...
October 10, 2014
This extremely talky Woody Allen film just became increasingly annoying as it went on. Still, the scenes between Bardem and Cruz are scorching.
October 4, 2014
Only Woody Allen film I can stomach. ScarJo helps.
September 20, 2014
"Vicky Cristina Barcelona" is one of Woody Allen's best: sexy, witty, funny, romantic, at times poetic even. A terrific script is also bolstered by an A-grade cast. Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz are particularly outstanding.
September 14, 2014
Meth. A couple interesting ideas, but the characters feel unrealistic. There's not enough substance, mostly dialogue and mundane happenings.
September 2, 2014
Funny, sweet and charming, 'Vicky Cristina Barcelona' is one of Woody Allen's best films of all time. 'Life is the ultimate work of art' is the citation-topic of the film, who tell us the story of two friends, Vicky and Cristina. The pair of friends travel to Barcelona. The two meet the charming artist Juan Antonio, who offers to take them on a vacation to Oviedo and make love to them. Vicky, being a happily engaged young woman, refuses, but Cristina is eager for this life experience. They accept the invitation, but this little trip will change the course of the holiday. Penelope Cruz is fantastically in her performance as the temperamental painter Marķa Elena. Javier Bardem, Rebecca Hall and Scarlett Johansson are simply divine. The film shows us the small pleasures and delights of life around the characters Vicky and Cristina, debating among themselves an existential conflict. With the beautiful passages of the film, is a great lesson that even though life is meaningless, we must learn to love and enjoy it. And sure, is one of the best Woody Allen, despite being a little too romanticized. One of Woody's most vivacious films!
½ August 31, 2014
Bad Almodovar's movie.
February 4, 2012
Rebecca Hall and Scarlet Johansson play the titular characters; a pair of American tourists who run into sensual misadventures during a summer sabbatical in Barcelona. Most of their whirlwind fancy surrounds a brooding artist (Javier Bardem) and his crazed ex-wife (Penelope Cruz). Vicky Cristina Barcelona doesn't really delve into the romantic psyche as deeply as its posturing implies, but it's still a fun and sexy film that possesses many endearing qualities. Among these qualities are a fine soundtrack, nimble direction, and a scene-stealing performance from Cruz. As a whole, I consider this film to be a minor-yet-stimulating gem of Woody Allen's later work.
½ August 13, 2014
[2014-8-13] Well, I never get it, what u girls want after all?
August 4, 2014
Despite a somewhat disappointing conclusion, "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" is quite the style of Woody Allen: Complex Characters with doubts and uncertainties about themselves, a nothing convecional script, a intimate direction, and a cast of weight.
½ July 27, 2014
I'm never a fan of cheating, promiscuity, or adultery, but the film is a pretty affair. It's not my place to tell people how to live their lives. The narrator is strangely placed. Sounds a bit like Arrested Development. The film itself ends without much impact.
August 19, 2008
Cruz and Bardem burn off the screen.
½ July 23, 2014
So this was my first Woody Allen movie. It's such a great thing when you think "this is the way movies should be" and then realize that he has made nearly 50 other movies that could be as good or better.

VCB is gorgeous in every facet, shot with warm colors and a painterly eye for evocative lighting and scenery in locations rich in classical architectural and landscape beauty. Spanish guitar and Javier Bardem's accent round out an aesthetic palette that would justify the movie on its own merits. The plot is slow-paced, low-stakes, and intimate and unique, just the way I like them. This is maybe the first proper "romance" film I've seriously watched, and my god is it sensual. I guess I don't really need to point out that Scarlett Johansson is gorgeous but Rebecca Hall even outshines her. This movie is just a feast for the senses, satisfying in every way.
½ July 21, 2014
Interesting, quirky. I did enjoy this film, although of the three women I am not sure which one I liked/disliked most. I do like the ending though, full of many possiblities
½ July 21, 2014
This modern Woody Allen romance takes what is, essentially, a fairly basic love triangle plot, and drowns it in Allen whimsy and strong performances from it's 4 lead actors to create a reasonably memorable film, even if it's not as strong as some of Allen's earlier and later works.

"Vicky Cristina Barcelona" tells the story of two American girls, Vicky and Cristina, who spend a summer in Spain. Whilst there, they meet a mysterious artist who falls for both girls, despite still getting over the split from his ex-wife.

The cast is led by Scarlett Johansson, Rebecca Hall, Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz, who all put in strong performances, particularly Cruz (although her role is much smaller than those of her co-stars).

The end results is a reasonably memorable film that starts off slowly but builds up a bit of steam towards the end. It's far from a perfect film, or anywhere near the best of Woody Allen's output, but it's a passable film.

3.5 stars.
June 5, 2014
Vicky Cristina Barcelona plays out like one of Woody Allen's most secret fantasies, a film that belongs more in the company of Good Luck Chuck than Blue Jasmine. Sexist and illogical, Allen would have us believe that two women, one of whom is engaged, can be seduced by the first Spanish-speaking man who propositions them at their table. An invasion of privacy is framed inexplicably as female bonding, and the film's conclusion feels rushed and forced. In conclusion, VCB ticks all the boxes of Oscar bait - beautiful landscape shots, sexualised female protagonists, mental illness, conflict, deceit and Woody Allen. This film from any other name would not receive half its praise.
June 29, 2014
A tragedy. A comedy. A love story. A romance. A drama. Sounds confusing? Nope. Just a perfect Woody Allen storytelling.