Vikingdom - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Vikingdom Reviews

November 6, 2013
A hard-hitting and visually spectacular fantasy action-packed adventure. Its loaded with heart-pounding battles and impressive special effects, not bad for a movie that cost less than twenty million to make. Director, Yusry Abd Halm crafts a uproariously fun and dazzling action epic that will appeal to the movie fan and geek in all of us. It's stylish, compelling and filled with imagination. You don't need The Hobbit or 300 to get your fantasy adventure fix. I loved it. It has enough bloody epic action, Vikings, mystery, thrills and fun to go around. Dominic Purcell is terrific, he gives a soft spoken and compelling performance. It think this movie will totally find its place as a cult classic amongst fans.
April 28, 2014
Lord of the Rings meets Showtimes Spartacus Series.Visually stunning but a bit improbable,even for a Swedish Girl like me
May 19, 2014
Criminally bad. Dominic Purcell ('Prison Break') stars as resurrected Viking king, Eirick, who has been tasked with collecting three ancient artifacts from various Norse gods before a Blood Eclipse occurs which would allow these gods to rule over the earth and conquer all of mankind if the task isn't completed. The budget was oddly spent on a few scenes with some decent special effects while 98% of the film went without. The make-up, costumes and wigs here are atrocious -- Thor's red hair looks like a candy apple red synthetic wig from Halloween while Frey's yellow costume is a tortured mess that looks as it was sewn as an arts and craft project in preschool. And Thor's hammer? Uh ... no, it's the size of a Fiat. I couldn't believe what I was seeing here -- people spent money on this?! It dares to spin a different tale of Thor and some of his fellow friends; but yikes ... whoa! Seriously, people ... this got the green light?
April 26, 2014
One line summary: Action romp in mythological setting that is both silly and fun.

----------------

The goddess Freyja raises former King Eirick from the dead. The god Frey encourages Eirick to seek the Horn of Helheim, since only the undead can venture there and return.

Eirick gathers a ship and two close allies (Brynna and Sven) on the way to a nearby kingdom where the king remembers and likes him. He gathers more allies and sets off to find the druid Alcuin, who shows him the way to Helheim.

Eirick obtains the Horn with the help of the shade of his father, who informs him that his real father was someone else. Great stuff. Eirick and company proceed to Eirick's former kingdom, where his younger brother now rules. They are betrayed, but still manage to get to the meeting with Thor before the time of the 'Blood Eclipse' of the sun, which occurs once every 800 years.

Thor has the Hammer of the Gods (Mjolnir) from Valhalla, the Horn Eirick liberated from Helheim, and the 'Necklace of Mary Magdalene' from Midgard. The stakes are supposedly rather high at this event. In any case, secrets are revealed, and a climactic battle ensues.

The ending begs for a sequel.

-----Scores-----

Cinematography: 6/10 Some of the camera work is fine, but a lot of it is sub-VHS quality.

Sound: 6/10 Mostly OK.

Acting: 6/10 Good enough to keep up with the screenplay.

Screenplay: 7/10 The story moves right along, which is exactly what one wants from an action film with so-so mythological underpinnings.
October 26, 2013
You could do far worse with many of the bigger budget movies coming out these days. If you can overlook that the low budget, mediocre special effects of this film, you'll enjoy it because it's a great story and the acting is well above average.
September 22, 2013
Judge it based on whichever standard you will, local or international, it still falls short. Not worth the Ringgit, if you ask me.
½ October 13, 2015
I feel like the film is a mixed bag. They seemed like they put more efforts into the credits than anything else in the film. The characters are cool and the martial artist and the girl seemingly make the film seem so different. The plot is rather boring. The fighting scenes are the creme of the crop of the film, everything else is kind of okay. The special effects are great. Decent watch. It's a different type of Viking film. Thor is evil in this film, which is usually not the case.
June 21, 2015
Pretty cool and nice movie,back in the day for this year,great film,great job..
August 22, 2014
Lame and poorly acted.
½ August 13, 2014
This is definitely one of the worst piece of junk I've ever seen ever.... Malaysian movies sucks!
½ December 26, 2014
hack n slash movie nothing new, same old ending pretty well, hero gets played by God's, hero tricks gods saves the day. warriors battle n fight n sacrifice themselves to save the day
October 26, 2014
Liked it, good acting and the fight scenes were fantastic. Story could have been tweaked a bit, I do wish I could have seen it in 3-D but other than that good movie.
September 25, 2014
Tegan Moss as Freyja? Sign me up.
August 9, 2014
Seen in Spanish on a nightbus, which only added to the campy ridiculousness of the film: a bunch of Lord of the Rings/Troy /300-ish scenes sloppily slapped together by a filter-fetished editor.
April 28, 2014
July 7, 2014
Crappy fun, then it gets boring through the end.
June 8, 2014
The story isn't too bad and the action is brutal. The low budget also gave it a bit of a comic book feel which I thought was appropriate. However, the dialogue and acting were so poor it was impossible to enjoy anything good about the film as I was just dreading anyone opening their mouth.
November 6, 2013