—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

The Village Reviews

Eric A

September 11, 2012
I remember being really excited for this film when the trailers were first released, and excited to finally watch it in theaters. Except when that time finally came, I was extremely let down particularly with the ending. It showed alot of promise in the beginning, but failed to capitalize on it.
Carlos M

January 4, 2010
A mystery-driven allegory that will disappoint those expecting the frightening movie the trailer wants to sell. Those more open-minded, however, will find an interesting film with an evoking cinematography, though the main twist (two, in fact) does not cause the same impact as Shyamalan's previous films.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

September 11, 2011
M Night. Shyamalan's The Village started off with a very good premise. The film was scary, and disturbing, and kept you on the edge of your seat until the twist ending. The Village could have been something terrific, but instead it ends up being a dud. This horror suspense film isn't what it advertises it to be. The film would have been fine just the way it, if it wasn't for the ending. For what is, the first hour was very entertaining, but like I said, the ending ruined the entire film. I felt that Shyamalan had another terrific film under his belt, but alas; it was not to be. The Village ends up being predictable, and near the end you realize what the ending might actually be. Other than the film was well acted, but because of the Shymalan tendency to ruining his films with a twist, the talent involved doesn't save the film from mediocrity. There were some good things about the film, but once everything becomes obvious to the viewer (and it does) you just end up not caring for the film anymore. What was great about Signs was that it had an effective mix of suspense, mystery, thrills and horror to create the tension on screen. Plus the ending wasn't bad whatsoever, and nothing is really explained, not to the fullest at least. But with The Village, everything is explained and it ruins the entire tone of the film. Go in with low expectations so that you're not too disappointed as I was. The Village is a mediocre thriller horror film that doesn't deliver the goods.
Liam G

August 28, 2011
I found M. Night Shyamalan's 2004 thriller excellent for the first two-thirds of it. The characters are interesting, the acting all-round is superb, especially from Bryce Dallas Howard. Shyamalan creates numerous moments of tension and suspense and the eery atmosphere really works. Not to mention James Newton Howard's score is incredible and one of my all-time favourites now. Everything was great..until the final act. I don't hate the twist as much as others, but it just left me cold. I don't think it is the twist us the audience deserves. Who knows, the twist might make sense, but I think Shyamalan couldn't provided a much more interesting and thought-provoking climax. It doesn't mean the film doesn't get a recommendation from me, as throughout most of it, I was gripped. The acting is superb (though some actors, like Brendan Gleeson, are wasted), the characters and their interactions are always intriguing, the score is outstanding and it has a lot of creepy moments. I just wish the final 20 minutes didn't leave me so unsatisfyed. I will watch it again though and who knows? It may grow on me.
Kyle F.
Kyle F.

July 29, 2011
It might be goofy, but it's so enjoyable to watch! Scares are in short supply, but to make up for it there are a few hilarious parts that aren't supposed to be funny and, on the more commendable side, a great ensemble cast (they've got Jesse Eisenberg!) a good score, some pretty nifty style, and some of the most crisp, lush visuals that I have seen on the screen in a long time. It's amazing that there wasn't an art-direction oscar nod here.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 15, 2011
While I admired the plot twist ending, the real story has so many holes in it that its annoying. M Night Shymalan is becoming one of the biggest hacks in Hollywood, and he doesn't lose that title with this movie. Itwon't confuse people, but it will make people go like, what the hell am I watching, and why.
familiar s

January 6, 2009
Better than I'd expected. The story is quite simple, but Shyamalan manages to raise it above the level by cleverly adding a mystic element to it. You'll be disappointed if you're looking for a horror/alien type of movie or an ending that would leave you shocked and surprised. Not a great movie, but surely a good one, IMHO.
Movie Monster
Movie Monster

November 22, 2010
Well shot, well acted, but the movie was indeed pretty slow. The beginning is very intriguing but the movie starts to bore you a little. The movie later picks up and you become interested in the story. I wouldn't consider it a terrible film but it is pretty lame. M. Night Shyamalan needs some serious help with his career.
Spencer S

December 13, 2009
Sure, it's creepy, and maniacle, and not M. Night's greatest turn, but that ending really got to me. It stuck in brain.
Dan S

June 24, 2007
Arguably M. Night Shyamalan's most under-appreciated films. Now granted, after this movie he fell fast and has lost a lot of credibility. However, this is still a very good film. Bryce Dallas Howard is a revelation, it's always hard to trust first-time actors with a major film and put most of it on their shoulders - but she's simply phenomenal. The twist at the end is what pisses most people off. I don't get, I thought it was appropriate and not to far-fetched, as well as bravely original.
3niR
3niR

January 31, 2010
It was complicated to understand because it wasn't described that much. But I liked it.
KJ P

January 18, 2010
Not terrible, but not even good! its one of the most average movies I've ever seen, and the plot line is extremely weak!
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 11, 2009
The Idea of the Movie was very interesting but it lacked with some details. Over all enjoyable if you dont count the revealing.
Conner R

November 18, 2009
Don't expect anything going in and you will love it, I think the hype really killed this films reputation. I found this to be one of my favorite horrors of the past decade, due to the amount of suspense. It's got a great cast and performances, as well as a moving story. I really feel that M. Night Shamalan peaked here, because I just don't think he can get that shock value in anymore. Well worth it though. If you're gonna go out, might as well do it with a movie like this.
Anthony L

September 22, 2009
Shyamalan needs to pull out a few new tricks from up his sleeve, that said though, I found this to be quite entertaining!
jjnxn
jjnxn

March 26, 2007
Lame, preposterous drama. For a cast with so many talented actors there are several terrible performances Hurt and Brody are the worst offenders but several others are at best lackluster.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

January 12, 2007
I really dug this one. While not his best work, it is captivating from beginning to end.
Al S

August 13, 2006
A masterpiece. It's stunning, riveting, spellbinding and heart-pounding. An edge of your seat suspence-filled thriller thats both brilliant and ingenious. It's mind-blowingly fantastic. It's powerful, chilling, outstanding and deeply moving. A brilliant piece of work. An awsomely intriguing film that leaves it's mark. A great cast of talents. Bryce Dallas Howard is a magnificent new talent. William Hurt gives an excellent performance. Joaquin Phoenix is teriffic. They are all outstanding. It's Director, M. Night Shyamalan's most memerising work yet. He is truly of of the most brilliant and original filmmakers making movies today.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

March 29, 2008
omg i thought it was goin to be excellant reli scary but had one scary bit and was a bit dry i thought it was a bit crap
Stephen M

January 6, 2008
The main problem I had with this was Shyamalan's ludicrous decision to reveal that the monsters are only fake just as Ivy is about to venture into the forbidden forest, thereby undermining an hour's worth of carefully crafted atmosphere and suspense. Excepting a couple of decent surprises towards the end, the rest of the movie falls flat once this threat has been removed. It's rather like Little Red Riding Hood finding out the Big Bad Wolf doesn't exist before setting off for Granny's. The excellent cast is generally wasted by a script that gives them nothing to do, but Bryce Dallas Howard makes a strong impression as the blind girl. Good contributions, too, from composer James Newton Howard and the Coen Brothers' regular cameraman, Roger Deakins.