The Village - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Village Reviews

½ September 5, 2015
Nope, not creepy, just stupid.
Positives: Joaquin Phoenix, Sigourney Weaver.
Negatives: Shyamalan's signature disappointing ending.
½ April 17, 2016
This movie was terrible to say the least, and the twist in the end made the movie even worse. very boring, not much to talk about. When we went to see this in theaters literally half the people leaving the movie were talking to each other asking "what the hell was that"
½ July 22, 2015
Rating: 47%
Though the premise is pretty respectable, The Village executes it in such a way that it robs the film of the frights and thrills that should've and would've been there if it weren't for an unimaginative script.
March 27, 2016
It's definitely an original idea and an original film. When I first saw the plot twist it made the film more realistic, but when you think about it more and more it starts to make no sense at all. Sometimes I had trouble understanding the medieval dialog of this movie. Most of the time the movie bored me.
½ March 26, 2016
One shouldn't kick a man when he's down, or so we are told but Shyamalan had a good idea with The Village but lost the plot in production. For a start the villagers don't go into the 'towns' because they are evil yet they burn kerosene like it's going out of style and they are never short of candles either. As the saying goes "the devil's in the detail". Where do they get kerosene and candles? nd a foot mote 'The Village' should be available in blu ray. There are worse films available in HD.
March 23, 2016
It's hard to pick a most bizarre M. Night Shyamalan film, but The Village might just take the cake. Fortunately, it came at a time before Shyamalan had gone too bonkers, and the film overall is actually not bad. Shyamalan manages to keep an air of mystery around the inner workings of the village, up until a signature Shyamalan twist that, while absurd in many ways, is strangely fascinating. The Village features an impressive ensemble cast, including the likes of Joaquin Phoenix, Adrien Brody, Sigourney Weaver, and William Hurt, and they all are pretty good overall. The real standout is a breakthrough performance from Bryce Dallas Howard, who eventually carries the film on her shoulders with a strong performance. It's the production value that really gives the film an extra boost though; the costume design, production design, and Oscar nominated score from James Newton Howard are all beautiful, and fit the film seamlessly. It's not the best Shyamalan film, but it's also not one of his worst. If you can prepare yourself for the imminent twist, you might just find something to enjoy from this one.
½ March 22, 2016
The film has some strong performances from its rather impressive cast. The story wears thin nearing the end, though. And I may not have expected the ending, but it is rather weak. The Village isn't Shyamalan's best, but far from his worst. I'd argue that The Village is at least superior to his previous effort Signs.
February 19, 2016
Good acting by great actors
½ June 10, 2012
One of the most underrated and misunderstood films in recent memory. Though far from perfect, it's beautiful to hear and behold and has a touch of magic sorely lacking in storytelling today. It plays like an Irving story in all the best ways.
½ February 13, 2016
With Bryce Howard performances as a blind person that don't convince us, with great and rewarding twists that surprise always, and with an original narrative, however it should have been more interesting and the soundtrack wasn't properly harnessed.
½ February 13, 2016
½ February 5, 2016
There's something too light about the all dramatic story rendering ... and Dogville with scenery
½ February 2, 2016
I am not a fan of M. Night Shyamalan. He is vastly overrated. I wonder how he continues to find support in Hollywood to make films because they rarely deliver anything short of mediocrity. His slow moving "technique" and twist ending is amateurish, and I believe he thinks it a unique artistic trait. However, this may have worked the first time on the Sixth Sense, but to continue using this filming style indicates how shallow his talent (or lack thereof) really is.

Despite what I think of the director, I surprisingly enjoyed this film. Given the negative reviews, I still have not had this affect my thoughts on the film. Overacted at times, it is has a good plot and flow. The twist at the end caps off a well spent viewing. I am surprised that this was panned so bad, relative to the generally favourable reception of his other films, which are certainly much lesser efforts.
January 30, 2016
A great film with a twist!
September 13, 2015
The Village is a good example of a movie that at first glance seems like it would be fantastic but ends up being a real disappointment. The film took way too long to have a point to its story even and the main plot ended up coming at the halfway mark and too long of a wait to get introduced to the main conflict. The conflict of the story is that a village is separated from the towns due to the creatures in red suits keeping them from crossing borders and interfering with either side. But one day, Ivy decides to potentially sacrifice her life for the one she loves to get medicine from the towns. I thought that a movie like this would be prepared to have a ton of chills and a clever twist, it almost seems destined to be a lot of fun. It sadly was a drag until the last half hour or so. The only redeeming qualities to the film before then were the good performances, this cast was really talented and were fine but not memorable in any way. Then the other being the scene where the creatures enter the village and are treated to wide angle shots of the village and cool slow motion panning while Lucius is being chased. The sets were really neat with the cinematography setting the dimness, and dark atmosphere of the village. The problem with this movie is that it isn't really smart in any way. The dialogue is kind of dull, the characters are average and forgettable, and the script is kind of plainly written. There's nothing really super significant about The Village in any way. The thing that got me interested was that in the last 30 minutes some stakes were raised and it got a bit suspenseful with the quiet music and the camera movements for sure. The ending twist (of course, it's Shyamalan) wasn't shocking like The Sixth Sense or any other good movie's twists where I'm left dumbstruck and in awe with how much it can make sense in the new way too. In this film I just felt, okay what's the point of knowing this now. I feel like the audience kinda already suspects what's going to happen. Its really disappointing and unnecessary to the plot in a way. There's one aspect of it that needs to be in the film and that's the origin of the creatures and that was actually neat but every other aspect of the twist is just dumb to me. In the end, The Village is nothing to rush to see because of how insignificant its plot is and how disappointing the end result is. It's a movie that when its on tv while flipping channels I'd think about watching it but then flip to something else. The sets are neat, the camerawork is good as well as the acting, but the rest is forgettable. C
April 27, 2013
First half is nice and creepy. I greatly enjoyed the tone, symbols, visuals, picture, use of color etc. Too bad the twist ending happened too soon in the film, besides the third act being a boring let down. 7/10 for the first half, 5/10 for the second.
½ October 31, 2015
The Village, Count Me In!

The Village, Has More PlotHoles Than Lady In The Water, But Lady in the water was DVD watch, This had 10!
M. Night Shyamalan should really stop making movies.

My Score Opinion: 45/100
½ January 13, 2016
After three great movies, Shyamalan stops and starts his cold streak after this movie. The Village is not a terrible movie, but compared to his other three incredible movies it isn't that good.
January 12, 2016
"The Village" is not as terrifying and interesting as it should be. M. Night prefers developing an incoherent plot to shock us with a final twist as he did in "the sixth sense". But it's disappointing.
December 30, 2015
A mis-marketed romantic period piece with gorgeous cinematography and wonderfully acted scenes. Still, difficult not to view this film as somewhat of a missed opportunity.