Virtuosity Reviews

July 28, 2011
What if a really bad computer game villain (Crowe, so over-the-top he's fun) escaped into the real world and Washington's the only cop who can take him? Cops and bad guys battle it out in the future!
½ January 31, 2010
Despite two of the biggest stars in the business, Virtuosity never is able to maintain any entertainment out of a decent premise. Denzel Washington is slumming here, and yet he still manages to make the movie watchable. Russel Crowe's villain is a virtual reality creation of about 200 different killers (from Jack the Ripper, to Charles Manson, and finally the guy who killed Denzel Washington's characters family) who escapes into the real world. Russel Crowe is completely defeated by the role. He has multiple personalities he has to incorporate and it makes his character uneven and at times hilariously over the top. I never felt for one minute like he was menacing or terrifying. Add in a mediocre production surrounding the two stars and a plot that doesn't do much and you have wasted potential. I expected more from this movie.
½ September 24, 2009
Verging on ?So bad, it?s quite good? territory!
½ October 18, 2006
A little too Sci-fi for me in that there were gadgets and effects for gadgets and effects sake. Personally I think this film is way below the standard of the acting capabilities of both Washington and Crowe.

It fails completely in the excitement area.
sanjurosamurai
½ January 25, 2007
a dynamic duo with washington and crowe teaming up. a solid and underrated sci-fi flick.
DragonEyeMorrison
½ November 21, 2007
Oh man, the kind of cheesy bad-but-ocasionally-fun flicks that hollywood wouldn't dare to do these days. Crowe was actually fun to watch, instead of annoying as he usually is. The concept is actually not that bad, is just very poorly made.

This also reminds me of that sci/fi movie with Mick Jagger and Emilio Stevez. Another cinematic disaster that you just can't believe hollywood dared to make.
jjnxn
½ September 27, 2007
Russell Crowe is a great villian but the film surrounding him is very thin.
July 30, 2007
A forgettable hi-tech thriller.
deano
½ May 18, 2007
Great futuristic action-thriller about a computer-generated killer breaks free of his cyberspace boundaries and wreaks all sorts of havoc and only one, jailed cop, is able to stop him. Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe are superb.
garyX
February 27, 2007
Sci-fi thriller that's full of cyber-babble that, typically of Denzel's films, is completely lacking in the kind of tongue-in-cheek humour that could've made it watchable. Russell Crowe tries hard as a gleeful and seemingly indestructable serial killer, but it's all too ridiculous to be taken as seriously as it's presented.
nuheart
January 6, 2007
Brett Leonard ought to be beaten repeatedly about the face and neck.
November 4, 2007
Virtuosity was a big budget 90s film, that despite having a great cast, was a big flop. After I watched the film, it's fairly easy to see why. The premise of the film is that a police training, virtual reality serial killer, programmed with over 200 personalities, gets put into a robotic body and reeks havoc on LA. Having no one else to turn to, they turn to a famous cop in prison to catch him. The deal, catch Sid 6.7, get your freedom. It's a pretty cool idea, but after you get all the information in the beginning of the film, it turns into one big chase. That's it, a back and forth hunt, with no real substance, dialogue, or anything more than explosions and gun shots. The cast was excellent and if they had focuses more on the technology and the scientific aspects of it, the film would have been awesome, but instead it's just another plain, boring, shoot out.
January 7, 2010
Cheesy fun, this is an underrated sci-fi/action gem. Denzel Washington gives a typically good performance. This is also Russell Crowe's movie debut, in which he goes all crazy as a rogue cybernetic experiment. The film boasts pretty good computer-generated effects for its time and some half-decent shootouts and other action sequences.
xxdebxx
June 20, 2010
A compelling story that took us through the looking glass into a terrifying world of cyber-danger and a deliciously over-the-top Russell Crowe plays the psychopathic killer with such an extravaganza it will make you smile (at least it made me smile). Parker Barnes (Denzel Washington) is the vengeance-ridden cop who has to stop this vicious killer but there's a twist because Crowe isn't human, but a computer- generated creation made for human likeness, and fitted with 200 personalities of the most notorious criminals imaginable. Reasonably entertaining fun and mindless bit of escapism!
February 17, 2006
If you love over the top villians ...
July 25, 2013
Seems like this R rating is similar to today's PG13 rating but nonetheless a good action flick! Denzel vs. Crowe something to look forward to. I think this was underrated during it's time but glad I finally caught up with it. Worth the watch. Just gotta excuse some of the dated technology compared to today....
December 16, 2007
A pretty interesting action/sci-fi sorta movie. I thought it was a little over the top but unique enough to check out. Plus, it's Russell Crowe before he became a superstar. Having watched it several years later, it really doesn't hold up and has such an 80s movie feel about it -- and not in a good way.
May 18, 2011
This movie has a lot going for it...car chases, gun fights and lots of exciting 3-D graphics just like Johnny Mnemonic! I've seen lots of movies about hunting serial killers, but in this flick, it's not just about learning the patterns of the killer...it's about chasing after him and trying to fill him full of lead as he attempts to outrun, outmaneuver and outwit the cop that's chasing after him. Russel Crowe clearly had a blast playing the part of Sid, the virutally unstoppable V.R. killer who escapes the bounds of cyberspace and if the city of Los Angeles thinks it knows about murder and mayhem now, they haven't seen nothing yet till they get a load of Sid.

Denzel hits it right on the nose once again proving that he can still be suave and sophisticated even while playing a disgraced cop who's fueled with revenge over the death of his wife and kid at the hands of a political terrorist who's personality now resides in Sid. Seeing a chance for redemption as well as payback when the LETEC prison system makes him an offer he can't refuse, Parker takes up the task of hunting down Sid and blowing him to bits any way he can.

Now, the stage is set and the chase is on as the game of cat-and-mouse between these two adversaries gets more extreme...only in this game, there's no 'save' or 'reset' button! Definitely an adrenaline action flick you don't wanna miss!
½ December 23, 2010
You can't hate on Denzel, LOL and Russel Crowe (in one of his earlier roles) is fun to watch as a villian in this. Don't you love old movies portraying the future? With that question in mind, this movie's charm factor rises up a notch.
October 23, 2010
A truly amazing movie.
What if a video game were made to train cops how to stop the worse crimes. What if the worse of the worse of the bad guys from such a game found a way out into the real world? Made to kill, it a nanobot body that can't be killed. How can an ex-cop stop this programed killed and save those that have been put in danger?
At one point this was my fav movie that was in my collection. It is worth seeing.
...or it is if my views are anything like mine. If we are a Terrible match, movie wise, then you might not like it.