Vision: From the Life of Hildegard von Bingen - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Vision: From the Life of Hildegard von Bingen Reviews

October 18, 2010
A true genius & courageous leader of her time; she was an explosion of brilliant light in a time of great darkness. Hildegard is a hero I admire; and having seen her life in this film, she's portrayed as an admirable character with some noble traits, who struggled with her own weaknesses & loneliness. A theme of this film is the danger of Greed & Envy, vs Love. Her strength to overcome this loneliness came from her Creator, who learned humility through trials. She earned respect from great thinkers & writers & even the Pope. The more I read of her and hear her brilliant musical compositions, the more I admire her courage, conviction & tenacity. She is remarkable human being for any time; in her words "a feather on the breath of God" Be patient as you see this film which isn't paced like most Hollywood films. It unfolds slowly, but it is worth the patience.
April 30, 2013
From what I have read about Hildegard von Bingen, she was a true visionary in her time. I was really looking forward to this film and learning more about her. While it is superbly acted, the film was surprisingly hollow. There seemed to be so much missing that would have given a better depth to the main character. A real letdown.
July 29, 2012
very interesting and beautiful scenery
½ September 26, 2010
12th centuary vision by Margarethe von Trotta.
½ May 28, 2012
Very complicated movie. Good to learn about the live if this composer. For many years I have listen her compositions.
½ April 11, 2012
A brilliant drama that captures the soul of medieval German monasticism.
April 5, 2012
i really am anxious to watch this movie but i can't find any copies or sites wherein i could watch this. i hope you could help me.. thanks :)
½ March 28, 2012
Hildegard von Bingen was a fascinating woman, and this movie shows some of her character, but of course this is life is little more than fiction with some biographic facts -- but it does have some of her music.
March 15, 2012
Fantastic movie! We found it both inspiring and insightful. It really brings spirit and a humanness to the lives of nuns which lay people can understand. Beautiful stuff!
December 12, 2011
checking it out right now.
½ December 1, 2011
Long an admirer of her music, I was naturally predisposed either to love or to hate any dramatic film presenting itself as an overview of the life and work of Hildegard von Bingen. I'm pleased to say that this one moved me to the former. Of course, two hours traffic of no stage (or screen) can truly do justice to so remarkable a polymath; but the beautiful cinematography, eloquent screenplay, heartfelt performances, and gently wry humour here combine to offer an admirable and heartfelt attempt -- one which hopefully will move viewers to explore for themselves more of the legacy of this extraordinary woman!
½ October 30, 2011
I suspect that there was much more to Hildegard von Bingen's life than her relationships with the other nuns. But I didn't find it "a profoundly inspirational portrait of a woman who has emerged from the shadows of history as a forward-thinking and iconoclastic pioneer of faith, change and enlightenment" like the studio's press release said about it.
September 2, 2011
Having experienced the "God told me" card as a manipulative tool way too many times in my younger years, my eyes rolled every time Hildegard received a "vision" that promoted her desires and authority in the face of resistance from her superiors. The deathbed scene, where she is miraculously restored to health upon receiving word that the Bishop granted a request, despite the disapproval of local clerical authority, was a classic eye-roller. Even so, I found the portrayal of medieval clerical life interesting.
August 23, 2011
German biopic of the famous nun Hidegard von Bingen (1098-1179) who, among many other things, composed some of the earliest music we have written by a known author. Great movie if you like the middle ages, though methinks everyone's a bit too clean...
½ July 31, 2011
There is not much about the film we in a contemporary world can relate with, but the example of life as a deeply devoted Christian in the 12th century, is portrayed with accuracy and beauty.
July 6, 2011
Sturm und Drang wit Nuns
½ June 16, 2011
Absolutely beautiful on all levels. There may be a few things missing in terms of history; but as a film it's very well done.
June 10, 2011
Has some of the most realistic scenes of a medieval scriptorium I've encountered. For those medievalists among us, it would be a great teaching tool!
½ June 3, 2011
Fantastic movie about the life of this little known saint.
June 1, 2011
This was a really beautiful and well-made film, focusing (as the title suggests) on Hildegard's biography. Unfortunately I know very little about her life, so I can't say how accurate it is. The things I do know about her were there, though. Obviously, as a singer, I would have liked to have seen more about her work as a composer, but of course she was a polymath, philosopher, abbess, and more as well.