Visiting Hours - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Visiting Hours Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
October 7, 2013
Mediocre Slasher with clichéd genre elements, Visiting Hours is uninspired and is a film that we've seen many times before. The problem with the film is that it is a film that we've seen many times before, made in 1982, by this point, the Slasher genre was in high gear, and many films were released, some were good, others forgettable. Visiting Hours is a forgettable one. The cast do what they can with the material. Talented actor Michael Ironside is effective here, but the films falls apart due to a lacking script and it's a shame because he is an effective villain. Genre fans may be disappointed by this one, and if you want the better Hospital themed Slasher film, check out Hospital Massacre instead. This film should have been better, but it feels rushed because of the fact that every studio were trying to outdo Friday the 13th and make a quick buck, it just ends up being another film that suffers from a plot that adds nothing new to the formula. Add to that a low body count, lack of any real suspense, and you have a Slasher outing that doesn't deliver on its interesting premise. If you're going into this expecting a great horror film, you'll sadly be disappointed. You won't find anything really engaging here. This film is quite boring and never really entertaining. This is a mediocre affair that never takes off and just starts coming apart halfway through. Though it's a film that should have been good, everything just seems out of place to really make it a worthwhile experience for horror fans.
½ September 6, 2010
An average horror movie, predictable, and pretty boring for the majority of the film.
April 21, 2013
A surprisingly satisfying 80's slasher featuring big stars. The storyline was pretty average but the good acting made up for the flaws. There are many plot holes left unanswered, but I was really glad that it didn't feature stupid teenagers and doesn't drag the film on for no reasons, instead, straight to the chase. It's one of the few gems from the 80's that will keep you jumpy for the rest of the day.
March 10, 2015
A mainstream entry in the slasher genre, here we have a politically outspoken gender prejudiced serial killer bent on killing women. Pretty well made, with big stars moving things along. Not for fans of Gore or the more schlocky slasher pickings.
August 31, 2011
Michael Ironside is great as the woman hating murderer who realizes that he left journalist Lee Grant alive after he attacked her, so he spends the rest of this film trying to find a way to kill her in the hospital that she's taken to after his attack.

The one thing I was most taken by was the ease with which the killer moves about in this hospital, as he seems to wander in *whenever* he feels like it, take a pass at killing Grant, then disappear again for awhile, then turn up again with no one really noticing anything amiss. It's almost comical.

Well worth a rental.
½ October 25, 2013
Not so much horror as a thriller with slasher trappings. Lee Grant is a crusading journalist who becomes the obsession of a bug-fuck crazy psychopath/misogynist (a sweaty, dead-eyed Michael Ironside). William Shatner also shows up to collect a paycheck and a trip Canada.

There are hints of a deeper backstory, but the film can't seem to focus enough to make it all work. The first 2/3 of the movie are very flat - almost as if it were TV Movie of the Week with more blood - and lurid while still lacking the grime of more traditional Grindhouse fair. Just when most flicks of this ilk lose there way, Visiting Hours gains some traction and actually turns in a couple suspenseful scenes. Alas it's too little, too late and it remains a random, little known exercise in gratuitous junk.
½ October 16, 2013
I tried getting into this and just thought it was an unbearable dud. At least V/H/S had a similar cover, which is the only thing this is noteworthy for!
½ March 19, 2012
I was really suprised how good of a movie Visiting Hours was.I loved all of the twists & turns there were.Everytime I thought something was gonna happen they changed it up & something else happened.This movie constantly kept me on the edge of my seat & that's what I enjoyed about it.I'd recommend watching Visting Hours on a dark rainy night (Halloween perhaps?) or at least watching it once if nothing else
June 17, 2008
Essentially a Canadian rip-off of Halloween 2 with its hospital setting, Visiting Hours is an at-times entertaining slasher film, but it drags a bit, partly because it is too long and partly because it gets too caught up in its drama about a reporter who champions women's rights and rape victims. The film never seems to know whether it wants to be a serious film about trauma and survivors or a mindless slasher film. Performances by Michael Ironside and William Shatner bolster the film somewhat, but it is ultimately dragged down by this conflict between tones and genres. Still, if you are an 80s slasher fan, then it is a must see...
½ September 27, 2011
A slasher in a hospital setting is a fabulous environment for a stalk and stab flick. "Halloween II" proved it so Canadian producers Pierre David and Claude HÃ (C)roux decided to follow suit and make their own brand of 'killer in a hospital' film. Even with a good budget, eye catching poster artwork and a solid cast "Vistiting Hours" still manages to disappoint this hardcore horror fanatic, and many others, due to not going the extra distance to truly make a memorable example of the subgenre.

The beautiful Lee Grant is a TV newscaster that's had enough of violence against women and makes her opinion known on national television. This attracts the attention of a crazed lunatic (Michael Ironside) who gets his kicks from hurting and killing lovely ladies. After a failed attempt to kill her in her home, he decides to follower to the hospital where he fails again, again... and again. Seriously, how many chances does this psycho need?

What disappoints most horror fans is that this film fails to meet expectations that the entire picture is going to to take place in the hospital with the killer stalking his victims. "Halloween II" this is not. Our killer visits the hospital on numerous occasions (mostly resulting in failed attempts to kill our heroine) and he almost always manages to escape to scare prostitutes and stalk beautiful nurses in their homes.

To be honest I would have preferred it to take place more within the hospital walls as it does get a little ludicrous with the number of times killer attempts to murder our heroine and then gets away. I swear this hospital has the SHITTIEST security of all time! The film also fails to go the extra mile when it comes to suspense and, of course, on screen gore. I'm not asking for both... just one or the other and "Vistiting Hours" fails on these two basic ingredients that are a must in the Slasher genre.

The cast is TOP NOTCH for such a genre film. Lee Grant is a fabulous actress (an academy award winner) and she brings a sense of grace to a genre that is usually littered with amateur actors. Michael Ironside (one of my all time favorite character actors) is majorly creepy as our psychopath. He always plays great villains and he got this role for his memorable performance in "Scanners", which was produced by the same fellas behind this. Hell we are even given a hammed down appearance by William Shatner. I never thought I would see Captain Kirk in a slasher film, that's for sure.

The solid cast makes "Visiting Hours" worth visiting. It just lacks some of the essential ingredients that slasher fans crave, notably suspense and/or blood. The plot can get a wee bit ridiculous at times and the final confrontation with our killer is disappointing but horror fans have seen plenty worse slasher plots, trust me. "Visiting Hours" is definitely worth a onetime watch.
July 25, 2009
Above average horror film from the 80's with lots of tense moments, featuring William Shatner...man, how can you go wrong?
½ June 9, 2008
Michael Ironside is very very creepy in this, more so than usual. The movie is overly long though, with a lot of Ironside sneaking around the hospital and then offing someone only to leave and come back later. A decent enough movie that could just use a little editing to be made better. Also it has William Shatner in it. I really like the cover art too.
June 3, 2008
Totally underrated hospital-slasher subgenre piece with Michael Ironside crafting the wonderfully villainous persona that would become something of a trademark. There is a calm and collected, but slowly deteriorating sickness to his character that is fascinating and terrifying. Lots of well-crafted suspense setpieces here. I can't believe I passed it over at the old mom and pop store so many times as a kid.
½ April 28, 2008
Pretty dull horror movie that rips off Halloween 2 but fails to rip off its solid acting and decent production values. Worth seeing for Shatner and a crazy Ironside but not much else.
April 24, 2008
One of the weaker films of the 80's that actually presents a much more fluent 70's vibe to it about a new reporter who is assaulted by a crazed lunatic (played perfectly by Michael Ironside) and hospitalized. Soon, he begins stalking her throughout the hospital while cutting up a few people here and there. The movie is alright, but very slow and dragging in several parts. There is also a hilarious cameo from William Shatner that doesn't help the movie any, but eh, it's not too bad I guess.
½ August 13, 2015
Eh... it was okay. Pretty good cast, not very scary though, and way too drawn out. That could've been cut down by at least 20 minutes...
July 29, 2015
Slasher movie with actor resembling Jack Nicholson. Bad acting
March 10, 2015
November 30, 2014
This really effective early slasher is quite unsung, especially compared to other Canadian slasher films of the same era. Michael Ironside is always an asset, and he dominates this film as the psychotic woman hater stalking Lee Grant after an early attack leaves her in the hospital. The film is basically a cat and mouse game between these two, but it's really tense and really effective. Shatner appears in a small role. He's okay, but it's really not his film.
½ October 15, 2014
A solid horror/slasher flick. Well acted and somewhat good story.