50% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

Visiting Hours Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

October 7, 2013
Mediocre Slasher with clichéd genre elements, Visiting Hours is uninspired and is a film that we've seen many times before. The problem with the film is that it is a film that we've seen many times before, made in 1982, by this point, the Slasher genre was in high gear, and many films were released, some were good, others forgettable. Visiting Hours is a forgettable one. The cast do what they can with the material. Talented actor Michael Ironside is effective here, but the films falls apart due to a lacking script and it's a shame because he is an effective villain. Genre fans may be disappointed by this one, and if you want the better Hospital themed Slasher film, check out Hospital Massacre instead. This film should have been better, but it feels rushed because of the fact that every studio were trying to outdo Friday the 13th and make a quick buck, it just ends up being another film that suffers from a plot that adds nothing new to the formula. Add to that a low body count, lack of any real suspense, and you have a Slasher outing that doesn't deliver on its interesting premise. If you're going into this expecting a great horror film, you'll sadly be disappointed. You won't find anything really engaging here. This film is quite boring and never really entertaining. This is a mediocre affair that never takes off and just starts coming apart halfway through. Though it's a film that should have been good, everything just seems out of place to really make it a worthwhile experience for horror fans.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
An average horror movie, predictable, and pretty boring for the majority of the film.
Sylvester K

April 21, 2013
A surprisingly satisfying 80's slasher featuring big stars. The storyline was pretty average but the good acting made up for the flaws. There are many plot holes left unanswered, but I was really glad that it didn't feature stupid teenagers and doesn't drag the film on for no reasons, instead, straight to the chase. It's one of the few gems from the 80's that will keep you jumpy for the rest of the day.
October 25, 2013
Not so much horror as a thriller with slasher trappings. Lee Grant is a crusading journalist who becomes the obsession of a bug-fuck crazy psychopath/misogynist (a sweaty, dead-eyed Michael Ironside). William Shatner also shows up to collect a paycheck and a trip Canada.

There are hints of a deeper backstory, but the film can't seem to focus enough to make it all work. The first 2/3 of the movie are very flat - almost as if it were TV Movie of the Week with more blood - and lurid while still lacking the grime of more traditional Grindhouse fair. Just when most flicks of this ilk lose there way, Visiting Hours gains some traction and actually turns in a couple suspenseful scenes. Alas it's too little, too late and it remains a random, little known exercise in gratuitous junk.
rodjeckrich
October 16, 2013
I tried getting into this and just thought it was an unbearable dud. At least V/H/S had a similar cover, which is the only thing this is noteworthy for!
Brody M

March 19, 2012
I was really suprised how good of a movie Visiting Hours was.I loved all of the twists & turns there were.Everytime I thought something was gonna happen they changed it up & something else happened.This movie constantly kept me on the edge of my seat & that's what I enjoyed about it.I'd recommend watching Visting Hours on a dark rainy night (Halloween perhaps?) or at least watching it once if nothing else
August 31, 2011
Michael Ironside is great as the woman hating murderer who realizes that he left journalist Lee Grant alive after he attacked her, so he spends the rest of this film trying to find a way to kill her in the hospital that she's taken to after his attack.

The one thing I was most taken by was the ease with which the killer moves about in this hospital, as he seems to wander in whenever he feels like it, take a pass at killing Grant, then disappear again for awhile, then turn up again with no one really noticing anything amiss. It's almost comical.

Well worth a rental.
zman47240
July 25, 2009
Above average horror film from the 80's with lots of tense moments, featuring William Shatner...man, how can you go wrong?
Sylvester K

April 21, 2013
October 4, 2012
Really should never have ended up on 'The Nasties' list. Preditable yet solid enough little thriller, which could almost have been aired on a Sunday afternoon with a couple of small cuts. Also, its got William Shatner in!!!
June 29, 2012
Typical early 80s slasher, only good components are having Michael Ironside (the bad guy in "Scanners") playing an unhinged psycho who reminds me a lot of Michael Myers in terms of his insistence on killing who he wants to kill...and it takes place mostly in a hospital setting. Other than that it is full of the usual gaping plot holes, mediocre to bad acting, and cliched missteps in logic along with a derivative ending. Watch Halloween II instead.
March 16, 2012
Its not great but worth a watch for slasher fans of the 80's.
June 9, 2011
Surprisingly, I had not scene this horror/thriller before, although I vividly remember the "hospital windows making a skull" poster, which of course scared me as a kid! The movie has a strange but shallow set-up that is centered around the hospital... some scenarios working better than others, but at least it plays for suspense instead of gore. Lee Grant is pretty good (did she ever change her appearance or hair?). The hospital setting could have been used to greater extent, and of course reeks of the skeleton crew Haddonfield Hospital where no one stays and no one works. I'd be up for a reboot of this.