91% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

79% Penny Dreadful: Season 1
84% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1

Visual Acoustics: The Modernism of Julius Shulman Reviews

November 24, 2010
I am a great fan of modernism and Shulman's work. I was really hoping for more of his work and perspective, Bricker's film just has a post-modern feel that would make Shulman roll over in his grave. If Shulman had lived through the completion of the project the would have added some much needed editing. The movie promises some insight into Frank Loyd Wright, but it is very brief. Beyond allot of Shulman's work and looking into work and visiting the houses 50+ year later, there is some insight into many architects that are overlooked, but pivotal in the movement. Not a great film but I give Bricker credit for capturing Shulman before he was gone.
March 4, 2013
Aaaaaaaand I need to practice more.

A wonderful documentary about an architectural photographer that made many an architect's career. Without Shulman there would be no modernism. His captivating photographs propelled the idea that form follows function more so than the architects.

Highly recommended for fans of architecture, design, and photography.

Now available on Netflix.
January 28, 2013
Lovers or photography, architecture, and design must not miss this critical work documenting Julius Shulman's works documenting Modern Architecture through the lens.
September 28, 2012
Somewhat inconsistent video quality and style; still very informational about the photographer behind some of the most famous pictures taken.
July 24, 2012
Not only is it impossible to dislike Shulmon and his sweet, easygoing demenor but Visual Acoustics gives his work, and modernism as a whole, a new life and the appreciation it deserves.
January 21, 2012
A terrific documentary narrated by Dustin Hoffman.
Luke W.
May 11, 2011
Good only for the photography, as the rest of the film consists of pompous people elevating architects to godlike statuses when the focus should have been only on Shulman.
April 20, 2011
Fabulous film for those interested in photography, architecture, modernism, and inspiring people who work in the visual realm.
March 4, 2011
I had fairly high expectations for this film, mainly due to my background as a street photographer. I suppose I was expecting more grandeur within the film, particularly beyond Shulman's work (his work is surely grand). For me, the pace is a bit slow, fragmented, and as I saw in a comment left on the rottentomatoes website, the directors don't really convey their passion with Shulman's work.

November 24, 2010
September 27, 2010
The homes in this doc made me wet!
Kevin N.
October 18, 2009
At first glance, I had the assumption that the movie was to be a very dry documentary of Mr. Shulman's life in architectural photography. However, due to Eric's well composed film, there was a lot of movement and humor. We were given enough information about Shulman's life and personality to step into his world and see modern architecture from his eyes. Shulman's pride gave the movie life and I began to have a personal connection through this movie. You don't need to know about architecture or photography to love this movie. Everyone can come to watch and honor the work and achievements that this man has achieved in his life time.