Weekly Ketchup: Voltron Makes the Jump to the Big Screen

Summary

After two slow weeks for movie news before and after Labor Day, Hollywood came back with a vengeance, with probably enough news for two Weekly Ketchups. Included in the mix this week are three different Mafia-related biopics, a Freddie Mercury biopic starring Sacha Baron Cohen, a movie that might reunite the surviving members of Monty Python, and new roles for Russell Crowe, Ice Cube and Milla Jovovich. Back to Article

Comments

Matanuki

Matanuki .

John, I have my eye on you. Seems you're a mimic of sorts... Perhaps a super villain..

Sep 18 - 11:32 AM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

Well, considering I walked out of RotF about 35 minutes in and still didn't watch that POS in its entirety, I'd say it's a very safe bet that I'll skip part 3 no matter what they promise the movie will include.

Sep 18 - 12:04 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

Excuse me, did you just say Transformers was "industry changing"?

Sep 18 - 12:06 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Transformers had pretty good special effects, but it was in no way an industry changer.

Sep 18 - 03:23 PM

@Matanuki,
When I refer to G.I. Joe episodes, I often think of that two-part episode, Worlds Without End, in which some Joes enter an alternate universe, with a lot of horrific occurences, such as a lot of Joes are missing or dead, and Cobra indeed rules the world.

It pushed the envelope as far as the G.I. Joe show was concerned and offered a rather adult storyline. (here's a link to a site with a list of episodes, scroll down and you'll see it gives in-depth reviews of Parts I and II of Worlds Without End).

I'd much rather watch it, than see Avatar again.

I agree with what you say about Cameron and his characters. It's not hard to feel for them.

I thought Cameron's attempt to draw in various demographics works well in Titanic. It offers enough action for men, enough romance for women, and it's not too risque for kids or teens, and it draws on a story from history that's instantly melodramatic.

And, then with Terminator, it's very easy to feel for Sarah Connor in the first, and then John Connor in the second, because they represent the common man, just as Jack did in Titanic.

I see how Cameron tried that again with Avatar, but I simply didn't feel for Sam Worthington's character. I don't know if it was the flimsy storyline or Worthington's acting, or both, but I wasn't drawn in.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon just popped into my head. It was a successful piece of work that seemed to work on that Titanic formula. It did a good job of mixing action, melodrama, romance and a little bit of comedy, and it could just as easily be enjoyed by men AND women, and young and old. It very much reminded me of the first Star Wars movie. It introduced a new, mystical world that I'd like to go visit.

Sep 18 - 02:30 PM

Stepping Razor

Matanuki, **It would help if I actually included the link I referred to!

Here's that link to the G.I. Joe episodes, scroll down, you'll see links for Worlds Without End episodes, Parts I and II.
--------------((http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com/series/joe/joes1.htm))--------

Sep 18 - 02:33 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Here's how I'll test to see if you're cool: Were you pissed when they killed Jazz in Transformers? And, in addition, wouldn't it be a great way to introduce Wheeljack by having him rebuild Jazz?

Sep 19 - 05:08 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

This, by the way, if your initiation into the fold. Everyone on here who knows anything knows I never stop bitching about Jazz. lol. So you have to choose a side. Either tell me to "shut the fuck up already about Jazz" or say, "damnit man, you're absolutely right. Can't have Transformers without Jazz."

Sep 19 - 05:10 PM

Stepping Razor

Matanuki, **It would help if I actually included the link I referred to!

--------------((http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com/series/joe/joes1.htm))--------

Sep 18 - 02:33 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Sep 18 - 03:23 PM

Stepping Razor

Perhaps Transformers was "industry-changing" for all the wrong reasons. It led to a whole bunch of studio executives saying: Hey! Transformers made tons of money. Let's have all our movies be just as dumb, shallow and heartless as that!

And, thus, the industry was changed, for the worse.

As for Avatar? Maybe it made a whole bunch of studio executives say: Hey! Let's make ALL of our movies in 3D! Every single one. The dramas, the comedies, the black and white movies, the documentaries! Yes, everything!!

Avatar's not a very good movie to me. Even the CGI was used for some rather uninspiring scenes. I've seen much, much better. It was hard enough to sit through once. I won't be seeing it again.

Both Revenge of the Fallen and Avatar prove that just about all you need is some wham-bam CGI and colorful things, and you'll hook in the masses.

Sep 18 - 04:16 PM

Matt J.

Matt Jordan

I did'nt say it could not be done...I just said they won't get it right. My faith in film adaptions of my favortie characters growing up (be it toys or comics) is dwindling.

Sep 18 - 04:19 PM

Stepping Razor

Well, you're going to lose your bet with me, Justin B.

So be ready to pay me. :)

I don't go see movies just to say "I told you it would suck!" Follow and study Hollywood's patterns long enough, you key in on their formulas and can figure out just what kind of movie they're making without having to see it. Furthermore, with just about everyone and all their family members writing reviews and blogs and other tidbits today, it's easy to get proof of just how good or bad a movie is without stepping into a theater.

I don't have to go see a movie starring Miley Cyrus or Britney Spears to figure out whether it's bad or not. I'll just bet, based on their track records, that their movies are not worth my time, or money.

Sep 18 - 04:21 PM

Cory

Cory B

@ Watcher and Stepping Razor

Your statements go a long way in showing how hilariously stupid Justin B. (Bieber?) is, but replying to douchebag Bay defenders like him is really a waste of time. The guy is wrong. We all know it. TF3 like most part 3s will have a large drop in attendance from the second part. And part 2 sucked, but I doubt Justin up there would admit that.

Sep 18 - 06:25 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

LOL

Sep 19 - 06:20 AM

Stepping Razor

haha, yes, Justin B(ieber) needs to stick to making bad music, and singing at shopping malls! :)

Sep 19 - 11:30 AM

Matt Alex S.

Matias Sabaj

yay,Voltron!

Sep 18 - 05:18 PM

Arekusandora

Alexandra Borrero

Not liking the Voltron design so far.

Sep 18 - 05:19 PM

Cory

Cory B

@ Watcher and Stepping Razor

Sep 18 - 06:25 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

LOL

Sep 19 - 06:20 AM

Sep 19 - 11:30 AM

Max the Movie Kid

Max Chittock

I've heard of the Pinocchio project months before you talked about it - I think Jim Henson's studio was originally going to work on it.

Sep 19 - 05:40 AM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

That would be the Pinocchio movie that Guillermo del Toro is producing, with the Jim Henson movie doing the stop-motion animation, which was first announced in 2008. The Warner Bros project in this week's news is a completely different live-action movie.

Sep 19 - 07:38 AM

Josh W.

Josh Wright

Voltron is going to be one god-awful movie

Sep 19 - 05:43 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

LOL

Sep 19 - 06:20 AM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup