Voltron Film Getting Closer to Reality

Summary

After nearly three years of development, preparations for the Voltron movie look to be entering the home stretch: Variety is reporting that New Regency and the Mark Gordon Company are in the late stages of negotiations to bring one of 1984's best-selling toys to the big screen. Back to Article

Comments

Elixor

Daniel Klooster

If this isn't animated, it's going to be crap.

Aug 10 - 05:48 AM

Sarge77

Eric Johnson

How so?

Aug 10 - 06:59 AM

krawchi

Christopher Krajci

"Marks' take is described as a post-apocalyptic tale set in New York City and Mexico. Five ragtag survivors of an alien attack band together and end up piloting the five lion-shaped robots that combine and form the massive sword-wielding Voltron that helps battle Earth's invaders."

Mark's take sound like a big ball of crap. For once, can't they just go with the original story. It worked then it will work now.

Aug 10 - 06:15 AM

Gimy

Gimy Moo

great...a toy that was apparently a HUGE seller when i was little...and i have no idea what the h3ll a Voltron is. god it was great to be a lil' poor kid growing up in chicago! yaaaaaaaay. some of the 80's movies they have planned(thundercats, he man...etc) sound like they are going to tear our childhood memories to shreds. i was pleasantly surprised how entertaining Transformers was...hopefully these will be decent as well...

Aug 10 - 06:47 AM

Sarge77

Eric Johnson

How so?

Aug 10 - 06:59 AM

Vitamin M

Matthew Haynes

I've been watching some of the old voltron cartoons on cartoon network, they're pretty funny, a lot of the stuff is really random and some times inventive. I would agree they should leave the story as it is but whatever, I think it's going to be goofy no matter what happens but I'll still watch it.
Oh the one thing they have to do is the sequence when they form voltron...where they lock keys and the guy tells them to "form feet and legs..." etc. that's got to be in there because it's awesome...again in a very goofy way.

Aug 10 - 07:30 AM

kenny356

Kenneth Roos

All voltron is really, are the powers rangers from my generation. However, that being said all of these movies, Voltron, He-man, and especially thundercats, well I'll be first in line to see them, no matter how good or bad they are, just because I remember watching all the cartoons when I was little.

Aug 10 - 07:39 AM

opTIMus Nerd

Tim Ahlberg

Voltron will be like the Power Rangers in CGI lions

Aug 10 - 07:39 AM

kenny356

Kenneth Roos

Aug 10 - 07:39 AM

iluvgirlswithglasses

Jeff Ortega

There's also gonna be a new Street Fighter movie? Good thing, because the last one was pure ***.

Aug 10 - 08:27 AM

bigteddyt

Jeremy Thompson

I'd prefer animation on this film, but will live if it doesn't happen. what i will NOT stand for is this movie being utterly ruined by michael bay. PLEASE OH PLEASE get a decent director.

Aug 10 - 09:08 AM

krawchi

Christopher Krajci

Aug 10 - 09:25 AM

Xavier Telouran

Drew Demorotski

So wait... would that mean that Voltron is hiding on EARTH somewhere? Where would it have come from? I guess we just don't like the original "outside forces coming in to save the day" angle anymore after recent events, do we?

We are so Earth-centric...

Aug 10 - 09:52 AM

Rockslide

Rocky Davies

Mobile Armored Strike Kommand was one of my favorite cartoons when I was a kid! But no one seems to remember it, even when I show them a handful of the toys I still have. I would love to see a M.A.S.K. movie, although many in the industry would probably see T-Bob and Scott and the rest of them too close to the transformers universe. It was kind of like a mix of G.I. Joe and Transformers though. M.A.S.K. vs. V.E.N.O.M.. I'll be there, even if I'm the only one in the theater.

Aug 10 - 11:06 AM

kid dynamite

rj d

Voltron was ok but I always thougt it was kinda cheesy. A movie that should be made is ROBOTECH, now that would be sick!

Aug 10 - 11:50 AM

DJ Serious Bizness

DJ Serious Bizness

better yet Gundam..now that would be for real sick

Aug 10 - 05:00 PM

PrecentorEpsilonXVI

James Humpula

Why, oh why does everyone want a robotech movie! Go watch Macross Plus or something and stop begging for it.

In my opinion, animation should definitely NOT be used. TMNT was a great film - and not very successful. For Voltron they would probably use the same style of animation, with the same end result. No, they will not be doing the original anime-style animation. Why? Because that particular market is cornered by the Japanese, who are busy doing their own thing and wont be bothered to have hollywood tell them how they should make their art.

Live action, well done live action, is the way to go with adaptations these days. Deal.

Aug 10 - 12:43 PM

sharpless

Matthew Sanderson

Ooh, MASK. Forget Voltron. I want MASK, or Centurions. They'll probably all suck, but still...

Aug 10 - 01:06 PM

skeletor57

john stevenson

As long as this movie gets some kind of decent treatment i am all about it. Who cares if they dont go with the original story or with a new one, it could be good either way. Lets be serious folks, Voltron wasnt a real "Story driven" cartoon like Transformers or GI or Thundercats. But I swear to greyskull if they screw up He-man its on.

But all in all how cool is it that these movies are getting made instead of christmas comedies or nick sparks movies?

Aug 10 - 01:38 PM

captainrogue

Jacob a

Silverhawks, we need a silverhawks movie!

Aug 10 - 04:24 PM

BigTanc

Trevelin Prysock

I agree with Captainrogue I would love to see my Silver Hawks come back to life. They need to put them on dvd, they did ThunderCats and Voltron, where are my Silver Hawks.
I did like M.A.S.K also. All them cartoons was great in their time. Not all should be movies though.

Power Rangers have nothing on Voltron. I just hope they do it right. And they cannot have the lions based on earth, that would be just stupid.

Aug 13 - 10:15 AM

SashaNein

Sasha Nein

Great idea. Take Voltron, and **** IT. Not just **** it up, but **** IT.

This is disgusting.

Aug 10 - 04:53 PM

DJ Serious Bizness

DJ Serious Bizness

They should do car Voltron instead of lion Voltron but regardless it sounds like it would be tight.

Aug 10 - 04:58 PM

romsy

Ryan Romswinckel

you are a moron... there is nothing more i can say.

Aug 12 - 03:52 AM

New on DVD & Blu-Ray
New on DVD & Blu-Ray

Transcendence, Sabotage, Shōgun...

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer
Annabelle Trailer

Horror spin-off of The Conjuring

Laggies Trailer
Laggies Trailer

Keira Knightley is a responsible rebel