RT on DVD: Oliver's W, Spike's St. Anna, and My Name is Bruce!

Plus Thai kickboxing's female answer to Tony Jaa, Giancarlo Esposito's directorial debut, and more.

What better way to celebrate the inauguration of President Barack Obama by watching Oliver Stone's W. this week on DVD? While a handful of middling studio releases hit home video this week (Nights in Rodanthe, Soul Men, Blindness), the Certified Fresh pick (and Oscar nominee), Frozen River, hits as well. Celebrate Black History Month with the latest from Spike Lee (Miracle at St. Anna) or go indie with the moving directorial debut of actor Giancarlo Esposito (Gospel Hill). Finally, peruse the week's more eclectic offerings for a break from the norm -- and a well-placed roundhouse kick or two (Chocolate, Street Fighter Extreme Edition, and Bruce Campbell in My Name is Bruce).

1. W. -- 58%

The politically-inclined movie lover should take note of Oliver Stone's latest, a shockingly tame envisioning of the early adult life of former US President George W. Bush. As Dubya, Josh Brolin turns in an astoundingly acute and yes, often humorous, portrayal of the Texan playboy-turned-Commander in Chief, and fellow cast members Elizabeth Banks (as Laura Bush) and James Cromwell (as George Bush Sr.) drew praise from critics. The problem, however, lies in relevance --- Stone opts to ignore much of Bush's Presidential choices in lieu of speculating a psychological case study of power ascendance and daddy issues, in the process neutralizing his too-subtle damnation of the former Prez. Learn more about Stone's approach in a filmmaker commentary available on the standard release, with more materials (making-of featurettes, deleted scenes) found on Blu-ray.

Next: Spike Lee's latest joint falls south of Fresh

Comments

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

I am getting Miracle At Saint Anna tomorrow from Netflix tomorrow, I am a big Spike Lee fan but I just have heard so many negativity. I am also getting My Name is Bruce from Netflix, which I am sure will be fun. I am not sure if I want to watch Blindness, I love that director but I just don't want to see him make a bad movie. I am a big Bernie Mac fan, and I think Soul Men looks terrible and I don't want to remember one of his last works being Soul Men. I may get W., I liked it but I didn't love it. I thought Brolin was awesome and there were some great scenes but there was some stuff I hated- Thandie Newton, flimsy narrative, lack of side character development: Laura Bush. I may get it but I dont know. I actually might rent Nights of Rodathe. Yes its not my type of movie at all, but I am such a sucker for Diane Lane so I may rent it down the road. Also I rented Pride and Glory last week, and the f^cking sucked, I dont even want to talk about it. I also rent The Express which was good but of course generic.

Feb 9 - 08:56 PM

inactive user

Jared King

No jokerboy! "Nights in Rodanthe"? It looks like the worst of the lot. Anyway, my parents saw "W." on there aniversary and really liked it, so I'll be seeing it. Although they did mention they did NOT like Thandie Newton, at all.If you're addicted to pain, see "Nights in Rodanthe".

Feb 9 - 09:16 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Diane Lane is my soft spot man, I just ah man, I have had the biggest thing for her since I was a kid and saw Rumble Fish. Even now in my teens I am just so, flabbergasted. I will wait til its on cable to watch it. Thandie Newton is TERRIBLE in W. Watch it, you'll be entertained but don't expect greatness at all except by Brolin. I lost my Back to the Future box set somehow, so I may pick it up, but I think I may just wait til the blu ray release. Also Jen, just wanted to say I am finally on twitter and I following your updates, I am: moviestarchild. I just cant wait til next month to rack up my blu ray collection: Synechdoce, New York (9/10), Mil (9/10), Australia (7.5/19), and I will probably get Role Models. So this is a weak moth for dvds, but F^cking AKIRA comes out this month on Blu Ray this month!

Feb 9 - 09:53 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Okay jokerboy, but have a bucket ready when vomit uncontrolably.

Feb 10 - 02:27 PM

RamALamADingDong

That Guy

Sounds like the previous Back to the Future DVD that I already own is better.

The only thing being released that I'm interested in is the unmentioned Dragonball Z Season 8.

Feb 9 - 09:39 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Feb 9 - 09:53 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Okay jokerboy, but have a bucket ready when vomit uncontrolably.

Feb 10 - 02:27 PM

blattman

Mike Greenblatt

I'm definetly picking up My Name is Bruce. I've been waiting a long time to see it since first hearing of it and I have enough faith in Bruce to know it will be fun enough to own.

Feb 10 - 12:18 AM

ZenFan

Dylan Hair

Some good ones. I enjoyed W. very much, Brolin was spot-on, and the script was sharp. St. Anna was one of my favorites last year, painfullu underrated. I actually liked Nights in Rodanthe, I don't get where the schmaltz came in, for me it was just a regular movie, well made, and well-acted I thought. Blindness was pretty good too, but it didn't quite live up to that terrific trailer that had me thinking before release it could have been the Best Movie of last year, but good nonetheless. Probably won't get anything yet, but theres some goodies coming this week.

Feb 10 - 01:35 AM

ZenFan

Dylan Hair

Right, Frozen River is playing at a small discount Art-House near me so I'll be going there to see it

Feb 10 - 01:36 AM

67299709

chris mcfall

yea street fighter finally on blu ray!!!

Feb 10 - 06:04 AM

Speaker for the Films

Matthew Legarreta

EXTREME!!

Feb 10 - 07:25 AM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

Jokerboy, have you seen Ladies and Gentlemen, the Fabulous Stains? Lane is a hot little punk rocker in that, I love it.

Feb 10 - 12:34 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Nah I haven't seen that but I'll just watch that instead of Nights in Roadathe, so now I can justify not watching it!

Feb 10 - 04:21 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Okay jokerboy, but have a bucket ready when vomit uncontrolably.

Feb 10 - 02:27 PM

inactive user

Jared King

I forgot to mention "Street Fighter". If you're a JCVD fan, you'll eat it up. I saw it because I was obsessed with "Street Fighter II" at the time, and my obsession was quelled after seeing a truly craptacular movie. Now it's coming back to haunt me, just when I want to get my hands on the new game. Great, there's no escaping Jean Claude!

Feb 10 - 04:21 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Feb 10 - 04:21 PM

kyle x.

kyle xy

Valentine's day is comming! May every Jack has his Jill. Don't have a date? Don't worry! Check out *** SUGARBABYDATE. C OM *** There are Over millions of profiles from all over the world! No matter where you are or what you are, you can find someone just around your neighborhood. You can get their pictures, phone numbers, locations, and almost any information.Everything is FREE! Don't forget to tell your friends!

Feb 10 - 10:25 PM

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Check out Boardwalk Empire

Historical TV Shows
Historical TV Shows

40 TV depictions of past eras

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer