Waiting for Guffman Reviews

½ March 31, 2012
I just don't see it. Waiting for Guffman is considered by many to be the greatest mockumentary of all time, but I'll take a number of films (including Guest's own Spinal Tap) over this one any day. The characters, while charming, are largely disposable, and for me, it felt like the same joke templates were used over and over again -- although the Remains of the Day lunchbox in Corky St. Clair's memorabilia store was a pretty good gag.
½ April 14, 2011
For my money, the king of all mockumentaries. Guest is not only pitch perfect as the lovably daft Corky St. Claire, but as director he marvelously builds the mythology of Blaine, Missouri without being too over-the-top. And with a little help from his stable of choice actors, he creates one incredibly funny film.
Their skit at this year's oscars made me miss this gang and it is always great to revisit them here in top form.
September 8, 2007
Christopher Guest's mockumentary about the putting on of a play in a small town doubles as a questioning of all those small town dreams of Hollywood. Entertaining.
August 12, 2010
Another great Christopher Guest film. It was short and sweet, getting to the comically rich center point in the nick of time.
The Gandiman
July 18, 2010
" He's teaching me to change my instincts... or at least ignore them. "

"Guffman" is a comedic gem.
November 11, 2009
A classic movie/mockumentary that is fun to watch.
½ March 13, 2009
This is the funniest shit I have seen in a long, long time. Christoper Guest is a genius. Viva la mockumentary!
½ April 16, 2007
A stock Christopher Guest mockumentary that features great performances by Parker Posey, Eugene Levy and Guest himself as director Corky St. Clair, it's probably second to This Is Spinal Tap for the best of Guest.
September 23, 2008
A very funny mockumentary that's delightful and witty.
October 1, 2007
September 23, 2007
I absolutely love this film. Every scene is hilarious! Christopher Guest does a brilliant job bringing this troupe to screen!
July 31, 2007
Pitch perfect send up of small town life and theatre. The sheer enthusiasm for the play exerted by the cast carries you along and you almost forget the banality.......almost
July 15, 2007
A superbly funny comedy about a big Broadway director named Corky (Christopher Guest) returning to his home town of Blaine to organize a stage extravaganza to celebrate the town's 150th Anniversary. Very funny. Corky is fun and fancy. A lot of the townspeople actually think they are talented, so it's a treat to see them performing so badly. As good as "A Mighty Wind" for it's quirky and detailed characters. I like the Guffman appearance at the end of the movie. This movie is a classic in the pseudo-documentary comedy category. Corky is what makes it so good; his gay pose on the cover perfectly illustrates what he is about.
February 26, 2007
The same touching, understated humour as Spinal Tap. It may have a few less quotables, but is a laugh riot, none the less.
February 8, 2007
Another humorous look at putting together a play. My favorite Christopher Guest mockumentary. It always surprises me after seeing how badly the rehearsals go, to see how well the final performance comes together. Not a good performance, but surprisingly well put together. Then again, that is the point.
December 24, 2012
Another brilliant Chris Guest et al collaboration. Anyone involved with community theatre knows these people - the ones who take themselves far too seriously with comic results.
December 5, 2012
Though it hasnt taken off in the main stream as much as other Christopher Guest movies, Waiting for Guffman is perhaps the greatest of them all. If you are, or were, a theater kid who has taken part in small time on-stage performances, you will find this movie even more delightful. Shot in classic mockumentary style, this movie provides all the hilarity Christopher Guest fans are used to.
½ May 27, 2008
I don't know how to rate Christopher Guest films. Parts of it are funny, most of it faintly amusing, some of it annoying.
½ May 27, 2011
The most ridiculous 'R' rating ever assigned.