Waiting to Exhale - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Waiting to Exhale Reviews

November 12, 2015
a grrl buddy pic like MGM's 'the women' (1939) & it's 2008 re-make
October 8, 2015
Whitney Houston is gorgeous in this movie, Angela Bassett's talent shines despite the very predictable script, and Loretta Devine's strut from her neighbor's moving truck back to her house could set Lake Tahoe on fire

Every "bad", negative, or unimportant character in this movie is white.
The accountant from Bernadine's husband's firm is white (and gets a huge slap across her face, because yeah, get it white women, you whores and home-wreckers!), the girl fooling around with Gloria's son is white (what a slut!), the judge that pronounces an unfavorable verdict is white (ahhh don't get me started! The rage against old white powerful men can be felt through the screen), the bride and groom who dare to be having their pictures taken as Bernie leaves the court house (how dare you, white people, to be happy at such a time as this!).
The best part of the entire movie is probably the naivete of it. You can definitely tell the movie was made in the 1990s - and it's not a bad thing. In fact it's quite nostalgic to look at the hairstyles, outfits, and makeup of those days, and to remember how people were slightly nicer to each other than now. It's very relaxing to watch a movie that doesn't involve guns or violence and this movie is definitely like that.

The scene between Savannah and her lover from the past (Kenneth) had me turn away and not look at the screen for a few moments. I then ran to my kitchen and had a jalapeno pepper sprinkled with Sriracha sauce, hot sauce, and a good helping of salt, all to cut down the sugary-sweet mushy stuff happening on the screen. "I love you Savannah, I know I am married"....bleeeergh.
The verdict: I enjoyed watching Whitney Houston and Angela Bassett do some excellent work. Would not watch another movie or read a novel by Terry McMillan, though.
January 18, 2015
Not bad for a movie that didn't have men like me factored into the audience they wanted to see this film. Good cast choices and performance with some good surprise cameos and a soundtrack that was hot for its time when it was released.
½ September 28, 2014
Whitney Houston in 1995....found the story a lot more sad than women 'bonding', which I think is the aim.....
July 17, 2014
Classic story of most modern women's struggle to find love. There will be games, players, cheating, lying, desperation and heartache, but with some wisdom and strong friendships it will all be okay in the end. Worth seeing.
February 23, 2014
The ultimate chick flick! Friendship, love, hardship...AMAZING!
December 20, 2013
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
½ July 3, 2013
Love this movie all the actress do a fabulous job!
May 23, 2013
Angela Bassett going HAM
March 14, 2013
Great movie. Strong women.
½ January 28, 2013
Awesome movie..What we women have to put up with..
January 23, 2013
This one got a better review then didn't it.....
January 5, 2013
Melko hidastempoinen elokuva, ei kuitenkaan pitkaveteinen.
February 20, 2012
The material is quite thin and it shows.
December 7, 2012
You can inhale that card, get a room and a date already!
December 1, 2012
I almost think that this movie was made just for women. But men should watch this too and maybe check themselves in certain behaviors.
November 23, 2012
this movies was good i need to lokk at it again
August 28, 2012
Men suck. I think that's the message of this film.
August 27, 2012
Waiting to exhale has fresh script and a great sound track. I really enjoyed the balance of good humor and serious depth of the story that unfolded.
Althought a Typical chick flick, it's highly anticapated debute wasn't worth the hype. If your needing a good cry heres the movie. Whitney Huston is spectacular!
½ August 16, 2012
This opened the door for black women and their friends sharing their feelings about relationships.