Waitress Reviews

October 6, 2015
Walked in blind to this wonderful quirky drama that's touching,sweet and so much more.Russell is wonderful and Shelly proves her talent in her all too short career.
August 26, 2015
Good performances and dialogue.
August 2, 2015
Not too bad, quite funny and a bit quirky in places. Carries quite a strong message too, which is always good.
½ July 6, 2011
A bit of a disappointment. For a comedy, it wasn't very funny. Even the normally talented Nathan Fillion was pretty one-note here.
June 18, 2015
With fresh charm and subtle wit, Keri Russell carries this movie to my top ten list!
March 27, 2015
For about 100 of the 107 minutes, this is a bad unpleasant movie. I do not think that the last 7 to 10 minutes justifies the whole movie. I do not see how it got such high reviews. Spoiler alert. the ending is better than one could guess.
½ January 20, 2015
Agridulce historia que sale de los clichés del género de chick flicks.
November 29, 2014
WOW......WOW......WOW.....SO SO SO SO SAD......man I have just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch......its got a good cast of actors/actresses throughout this movie.....I think that Andy Griffith (.R.I.P.), Adrienne Shelly,Cheryl Hines, Nathan Fillion, Keri Russell, play good roles/parts throughout this movie.....I think that the director of this drama/romance/comedy movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie......man this is such a really sad movie 2 watch.......its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie......

The film is set in a small town in the Southern United States. Jenna has plans to go to pie baking contest in a nearby town called 'Jonesville'. Joe (the Andy Griffith character) reads a newspaper called the "Redhood Picayune" - possibly a tip to a town in the Southern U.S.

The movie was filmed on location in Saugus, California

" Seeing Waitress at Sundance was a really emotional experience. The typical format for the festival is that the director is introduced to say a few words before the film begins. It was painful from the beginning to see that there was no director to introduce the film, since Adrienne had died. So the producer and Adrienne's husband Andy talked about how it had been Adrienne's dream to have a film at Sundance. It was very poignant. "

-Nancy Utley, COO at Fox Searchlight

The film was accepted into the 2007 Sundance Film Festival, though its premiere was bittersweet because writer/director Shelly (who also played Dawn in the film) was murdered less than three months before its debut and just before she was about to learn the film had been accepted into the festival. Its success there led Fox Searchlight Pictures to acquire the distribution rights for $4-5 million. It opened the U.S. Comedy Arts Festival.

The film received mostly positive reviews from critics, with an 89% "Fresh" rating among the 163 reviews tracked by Rotten Tomatoes, and ending the year on that site's list of Top 100 films for 2007. It got a 75 out of 100 at Metacritic. Waitress was called a "good-hearted, well-made comedy" brimming with "quality star wattage".The reviewer from The A.V. Club was less glowing, concluding:

It would be tempting to compare the setting and ditzy sidekick/tough-talking blonde/soulful lead dynamic unfavorably to Martin Scorsese's Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore if it aspired that high. With its snappy dialogue and broad characters, it's closer in spirit to that film's sitcom spin-off, Alice. Still, there's much to offset the shortcomings, particularly nice performances from Russell and Fillion and a rare, welcome role from Andy Griffith as the diner's gruff owner, even if he's largely there to set up a finale that cheats much of what's come before. It's an imperfect film, but it's the kind of imperfect film of which it would be nice to have seen Shelly make more.

Mick LaSalle called it a "great American film" that transcends its "air of whimsicality and its emphasis on small-town characters and humble locations."

Awards and nominations

Adrienne Shelly received a Best Screenplay nomination at the 23rd Independent Spirit Awards.

man this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch.......its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie......I think that both Jeremy Sisto (From the brilliant tv series 6 fee under) as Earl Hunterson, Nathan Fillion (From the brilliant tv series firefly) as Dr. Jim Pomatter, were absolutely brilliant throughout this movie in there roles throughout this movie.......I think that this is such a very powerful drama movie 2 watch, its got a great cast throughout this movie.......I think that this is such a very sad movie as this is the very last movie of Adrienne Shelly (RIP)......man this is such a powerful drama movie 2 watch but it is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch, its got a great cast throughout this movie.....man this is such a fantastic movie 2 watch, its got a great cast throughout this movie.....man this is such a really sad movie 2 watch but it is such a fantastic movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie.....
December 2, 2007
Sensitive and touching
August 17, 2014
Sweet and charming! Keri Russell is likable beyond words! What a great performance in a superb romantic comedy.
½ December 2, 2008
Keri Russell is a treasure. Supporting cast is stellar.
½ November 13, 2011
i love this movie with all my heart. it's so funny, so cute and so damn profound. i don't think i've ever laughed and cried so much during the same film. adrienne shelley was a brilliant woman and her loss was a great tragedy. she is what i aspire to as a filmmaker.
½ January 15, 2008
A bittersweet film but smartly done. Worth watching.
½ June 9, 2014
This movie was not nearly as good as I thought it would be. I am a Keri Russell fan, I think she's talented and beautiful but this film wasn't one of my favorites, definitely not one I'll ever buy or watch again.
½ June 5, 2014
This film would make an excellent Hallmark Channel or Lifetime movie. This doesn't mean it is bad; it's just not very fulfilling. It is pro-adultery, which, while disappointing in itself, is even more disappointing because the two main adulterers are just so perfect together. On the plus-side, the movie dares to be pro-life. Keri Russell is lovely as always, and Nathan Fillion is as delicious as pie. Unsurprisingly, Andy Griffith is the best actor in the movie.
December 18, 2007
a nice story, loved the ending.
December 26, 2007
Odd movie but good for her for taking hold of her dreams!
½ February 1, 2008
Agridulce historia que sale de los clichés del género de chick flicks.
½ March 8, 2014
sorry, this movie was terrible.
June 9, 2007
a very odd mix of campy and romcom. i like the story and the message, but everything that happens in the meantime to get you there left me wanting