• Waitress

Waitress Reviews

July 29, 2013
A really sweet movie.
July 6, 2013
"Waitress" may be sold as a fluffily, lighthearted comedy but it really isn't and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. The story actually fits more in the "quirky drama" category because although there are some funny moments, mostly due to some of the slightly bizarre side characters, there are some upsetting and depressing themes in the film that really don't lend themselves to laughs and a lot of the film's story deals with the main character "Jenna" pulling herself out of her dismal marriage to finally be happy. The film is about Jenna, who is married to her abuse, controlling husband Earl. She works at Joe's Pie Dinner, where she makes amazing deserts and dreams of not only leaving her dirtbag of a husband but entering in pie contests (there's one in a nearby town with a $25,000 prize) and making it big. Besides her husband, who doesn't beat her physically but is constantly putting her down and manipulating her she has a new obstacle in her life: she's just found out that she's pregnant. Thing gets even more complicated when she starts having a secret affair with her pre-natal doctor Dr. Jim Pomatter, who is married. As Jenna starts getting ready for her baby, she becomes attached to her unexpected pregnancy and her courage starts to grow.

The strongest element in the film is featured on the Dvd cover: no it's not Keri Russel as Jenna or Nathan Fillion as Dr. Pomatter, it's the pies. A large part of the film is dedicated to the idea that Jenna makes the most amazing pies anyone's ever tasted. During the movie you'll see her create new recipes on the spot as a way to deal with her life and when these pies are put together, they're lovingly shot and the cinematography is first rate. Watching the movie your mouth will start to water and you'll be incredibly hungry by the time it ends. That's not to say the performances aren't good or that the script isn't well written, it's just that this element stands out so much that it needs to be given the spotlight first.

As mentioned earlier, the movie isn't really a comedy. There are genuinely funny moments in here, mostly from the weird side-characters and those are always fun to see. Andy Griffith is terrific as Old Joe, a grumpy old man that isn't all that bad once you get to know him and Ogie, a desperate romantic that makes up poetry on the spot (played by Edward Jamison) is sweet. You like "Jenna", even though it gets quite frustrating at times to follow her story as she's constantly beaten down by her possessive and jealous husband. Jeremy Sisto does a good job playing Earl even if at times the character is a ridiculous stereotype of an abusive husband. He successfully portrays a villain that you genuinely hate but whenever he's on the screen he also becomes incredibly annoying.

From the setup this film might also seem like it's a romantic story, or at least you might think so based on the Dvd cover, which shows Jenna embracing Dr. Pomatter but it really isn't that either. There are some sweet elements of romance in the film, but those are mostly with the side characters. It's actually a good thing that the romance element isn't dominating the film because really the story is about an unhappy wife having an affair with her doctor and that's just a mess waiting to happen. The story is about a woman who finally starts growing a backbone and grows as a person. That's where the movie really satisfies because the character development and arcs are very well done. Although there is a major element of the film's conclusion that comes out of nowhere and is incredibly convenient to the plot, it's crowd pleasing and ends on a very sweet note. At times the movie is very emotionally manipulative but if you're in the mood to see an underdog cope with life and finally get to deal with all the crap that's been dumped on her, this will definitely hit the spot. There are some serious flaws in "Waitress" but under the right circumstances (And we're not talking about "I'm in the mood to watch a bad movie!" kind of circumstances) it satisfies. (Dvd, June 2013)
nomie78583
May 22, 2007
i bought it ...need to find time to see it
April 24, 2008
Loved the pies (dreaming of baking pies one day and singing that song for my baby hehe!)
& how finally a sad girl, who tried to run away from her own life, finds happiness. Feel good.
But yeah.. that affair with doc is bit weird.
closedmouth
April 22, 2011
Relentlessly adorable.
June 5, 2013
Keri Russell in the best kiss on screen
May 26, 2013
good reviews from sundance
April 29, 2013
Good rental. Deep South slice of life of 3 waitresses in a diner featuring pie. Keri Russell is the star with great accompaniment by Cheryl Hinds and Adrienne Shelley(who created the script, produced and directed). The premise is to have children or not--especially in an abusive marriage, infidelity in marriage, re-starting a bad scenario. The great Andy Griffith makes one of his final appearances here. B+
April 9, 2013
Sweet and funny, but it's Russell's show for the taking. Nice to know that Felicity Porter can still act.
April 8, 2013
Not the worst girl-flick out there.
Josh M

April 6, 2013
Waitress is a charming, gentle, often dark yet extremely quirky comedy. It feels even darker since the subsequent murder of its writer/director/supporting actor Adrienne Shelley who didn't live to see the film's release. Anchored with a lovely, subtle sad eyed performance by the beautiful Keri Russell and a cast of terrific comedic prodigy actors, including the great Andy Griffith in his last film appearance as the crusty diner owner. It's a singular, meaningful and poetic comedy, despite its light touch and tone.

It's the apparently simple story of Jenna, small town southern waitress, with a god given talent for creating original and delicious pies. Stuck in a horrible marriage with an idiot husband, Jenna's saving money so she can bolt - until she finds out she's pregnant. She falls into a hopeless intense affair with a married young doctor, played with customary charm and intelligence by TV's own Cary Grant, Nathan Fillion. That's about the whole story, the stakes keep getting raised higher as the doctor and the waitress carry on an increasingly steamy affair just as her belly gets bigger and her husband gets more demanding and abusive.

The pies are a terrific touch, because the recipes are thematically related to the beats of the story (i.e. I hate my husband pie, crushed lumpy oatmeal and sour cherries, etc.). The making of the pies is shot gorgeously and, amazingly this device never gets tired.

I forced myself to watch this, because on paper, it looks like a cliched, gratuitously offbeat comedy full of faux folksiness and bad southern accents. It's far better than that. Director Shelley and Cheryl Hines play her fellow waitresses with verve and spunk, and Jeremy Sisto as the abusive husband may be stupid, but he's an identifiable human being, not a cliched villain, who evokes our empathy, even as we are rooting for Jenna to get the hell out of the marriage.

On the DVD extras, the cast all rhapsodize about Shelley's having such a clear vision of what she wanted and how she was a control freak for every aspect of this production. That is palpably true, and it's a tragedy that she didn't get to make more films. See this one, you'll be happy.
June 16, 2007
MMMM!! Nathan Fillion!
March 21, 2013
Waitress is entertaining, clever, and fun, but the ending feels rushed and backed with little clues / explanation to let its audiences understand how the 360 turn happened.
February 19, 2012
This was a little gem of a movie i only just caught on TV one evening, i can say that i am still happy i saw it. I love the characters, the setting of the diner and the whole story. I wouldn't class this as a typical romantic comedy, to be honest i didn't find it hilarious or comical, although i wouldn't put that down as a negative point. The humour is subtle, and quirky - only if you're in that frame of mind. I'd say this a movie you will just have to see, it has the same sort of vibe as Sunshine Cleaning and Little Miss Sunshine, if i had seen this advertised there's no way i would have thought i'd like it, thankfully the boredom of everyday life makes me switch on the unlikeliest of channels.
February 24, 2013
I Don't Want Earl's Baby Pie.

...Bad Baby Pie.
Marie King
February 23, 2013
Oozing charm, wit, with a smart and hilarious script, and anchored by a stunningly brilliant performance by Keri Russell make this film a true underrated gem!
March 15, 2008
Bought this without watching it because a) I really like Keri Russell, b) heard good things, c) it cost me like 6 bucks or something, and d) i'm a movie fanatic.

I really liked it though so I was proud of my shopping-randomly ability. Lots of funny lines and a good story. Plus, she makes some crazy pies and comes up with them and the names right on the spot. It's funny... like "I Don't Want Earl's Baby Pie" (it's a quiche) and "Pregnant Miserable Self Pitying Loser Pie."

I absolutely recommend this one! Russell is a gem! :)
February 13, 2013
No frills, an honest to goodness artisan film. Successful as a eureka recipe and warm as freshly made pie.
January 30, 2013
I really like this movie. I can't say it's one of my favorites but it is really funny and sad at the same time. The first time you see it you are shocked to see certain things and you'r like wow! but after the second time the movies looses it's magic it doesn't seem quite as enjoyable.
January 9, 2013
Beautiful, scrumptious, positive pregnancy story :-)