• R, 1 hr. 36 min.

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story Reviews

Bob S

November 27, 2008
Couple laughs and a few chuckles. Music was pretty well done but overall just too predictable.
blkbomb
blkbomb

February 1, 2011
Eddie Vedder: If Elvis and Buddy Holly are the Cain and Abel of rock and roll, Bruce Springsteen is Zachariah, Iggy Pop is Methuselah, and, of course, Neil Young is the wise prophet Ezekiel, then what does that make Dewey Cox?

"Life made him tough. Love made him strong. Music made him hard."

I absolutely love Walk Hard, and I always have. I saw this on opening night and since then I've probably watched it at least 20 times. It's one of those movies my friends and I used to always watch when we got stoned and/or drunk. I still think it is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. It's a perfect spoof of the musician biography film. We see references to Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, The Beatles, Elvis, The Big Bopper, Buddy Holly and countless more. This is a music lovers film.

We see the rise and fall and rise and fall of Dewey Cox from when he is a young boy and cut his brother in half to his final live appearance ever. In between he enjoys everything a rock star does. He gets into drugs and goes to rehab not once, but twice. He fucks every girl he can. He gets married and divorced twice. He has over thirty children. His life is a mess as he falls from stardom, but don't worry. Every fallen hero gets his chance at redemption and Dewey Cox is no different.

The humor on this one is mostly lowbrow stuff, but there is some smart comedy in it if you get the jokes. Judd Apatow writes an amazing script here using movies like Walk the Line and Ray as inspiration for mimicry. The use of stars throughout the film is hilarious. They present them in the exact way people perceive them to be. Ringo is always wanting to do LSD. Elvis is eccentric and full of himself. Buddy Holly is a real nice guy. This has its music history down pat. I especially loved the small glimpse of The Big Bopper doing a set.

From start to finish, this is a comedy I adore. The fact that I still laugh at 90% of this films jokes after numerous viewings goes to show just how funny the film is. I must say John C. Reilly is perfect in this role. I couldn't think of anyone who could have done it better or funnier. He's absolutely perfect.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

October 25, 2011
John C. Reily never dissappoints when he's in a lead role. I loved Step Brothers and Cyrus, I have now found another Reilly favourite. One of the best musicals I have ever seen. Walk Hard has a clever original soundtrack, genuine belly laughs and manages to hold the illusion that the events actually happened in a true biopic style.
Anthony L

December 20, 2011
The first rule when making a spoof/parody is that it has to be funny. Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox story isn't particularly funny. It's clever, I get the jokes and noticed the references but most of them fall short of being funny and feel like wasted opportunities. It's not without its moments, I'll give it that but the far and few between funny scenes are overshadowed by the stupid, awful and unfunny scenes. It could and should have been a lot better considering the cast, writers and producers. It's still a masterpiece compared to the Date/Epic/Scary Movies though!
Matt G

January 22, 2011
What a hilarious movie. Such a good parody with a great and big cast! Never seen Jenna Fischer in a role like that. I like it. The Beatles were SO funny! Ringo was the best. John C. Reilly's performance was no less then god-like. I highly recommend this.
Alice S

April 13, 2011
Jenna Fischer is a stone-cold fox.
Coxxie M

June 10, 2009
Frankie Muniz gives a shitty ten second performance as Buddy Holly. But its fine. Theres no such thing as a perfect movie. Tim Meadows' little monologue about why marijuana is evil is just the greatest thing ever conceived. Also you should count the number of times you hear, "Wrong kid died." Every time he says it, it gets funnier. CHERYL COX TIEGS.
Richard C

July 29, 2010
stupid but really hilarious. B+
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

July 15, 2010
If theres a film that rivals all the worst Ferrell films, Walk Hard would be it. This is the same type of film than any other film of Ferrell's. Bad jokes, story and acting grace this film like flies swarming a hunk of shit. The film presents a tired out unoriginal comedic formula that is very annoying to watch. When it's finally over, you definitely feel cheated out of the time you spent wasting watching this shit.
Lady D

January 26, 2008
A spoof style film,mocking music star biopics,in particular - Johnny Cash and "Walk the Line".

There are a couple of comical moments, but mos to fthe humour bordered on the ridiculous and was quite a silly film most of the time.

We all know John C Reilly can sing from the film "Chicago", so really the singing part was probably the best thing about the film, that and the way it summed up a pattern of all music related biopics.

Not quite deserving of John C Reilly's talents, I feel.
KJ P

January 13, 2010
Funny as hell! John C. Reilly has never been better!
cosmo313
cosmo313

December 17, 2007
Hilarious and very clever send up of musician biopics. The casting is awesome, the performances good, but where the film really shines is the attention to detail (to both the time periods and the cliches being spoofed). It's a little too over the top at times, but overall a very well done spoof.
Lewis C

May 28, 2008
An uneven comedy that manages to be more hit than miss. Walk Hard has the funniest songs since Team America: World Police, but this kind of absurd comedy isn't perfect for everyone. If you don't laugh within the first 5 minutes, then do yourself a favor and turn the movie off. There's not going to really be much variation of the basic formula.

There are lots of guest cameos (The "Beatles") were great, and some pretty darn funny spoofs of biopics. Walk Hatd isn't the cleverest movie, but it gets a lot of laughs at the expense of more serious movies that came before.
James A

April 18, 2008
Still great and greatly over looked.

I loved the fuck out of this movie. A great send up of all the musician themed movies that take themselves too seriously.
Aaron N

October 23, 2007
Dewey Cox: I have a lot of pain in me.
Darlene: Where does all that pain come from, Dewey?
Dewey Cox: I cut my brother in half with a machete.
Darlene: [shocked] What?
Dewey Cox: Nothin', nothin'. Let's get some food, come on.

This is the true to life biography of musical rock legend Dewey Cox. We see all the various chapters including his early life tragedies, building success, turns to drug use, his wives, his kids, his exotic pets, and his music, which he loved...hard.

John C. Riley stars as Cox, in a movie that makes sure to treat him as much like a real character as Forrest Gump was. Despite how ridiculously goofy this movie is, Reily has to run this show and he does so, very well. His complete dedication of himself to this role, makes the film work.

Recording Studio Executive: [to Dewey's band during an audition] Please stop that! That was the worst number you could've started out with!
Dewey Cox: Well, my mother liked it a whole lot.
Recording Studio Executive: Your mother was wrong.

The movie also feature supporting roles and cameos from many members of Saturday Night Live and the various Judd Apatow produced comedies of recent years, and note must go out to Tim Meadows who continues to show how funny he is, despite not getting the best chances to show it off.

It is made in the spirit of a movie like Anchorman, where every scene in the movie is a joke, which also means that not everyone is going to work. There are definite flat spots in this movie, but those momentary times are just small bridges to very big laughs and continued running jokes.

Pa: The wrong kid died.

The subject matter also lends itself to having tons of musical stars appear in this movie, courtesy of other actors portraying them, and making sure to mention the names of who they are as much as possible.

Dewey Cox: [singing] In my dreams, you're blowing me... some kisses.
Darlene: [singing] That's one of my favorite things to do.

There is also an amazing soundtrack sung by Cox. Almost all of the songs are inspired by Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan (a highlight), but Dewey Cox is capable of a wide variety of musical genres, and the film makes great use of letting us here them and what inspired most of them. It also helps that Rielly actually sings and plays the guitar.

With a nice hard R rating, this movie makes sure to show us every aspect of Dewey's rock star life, and even though it has a couple of flat moments, it certainly gets the job done in letting us know who Dewy Cox is.

Note: On a second viewing, I forgot how funny this movie was, and it has definitely revealed itself as a movie similar to Ricky Bobby, where the repeated viewings will really pay off.

Sam: Get outta here, Dewey!
Dewey Cox: What are y'all doin' in here?
Sam: We're smoking reefer and you don't want no part of this shit.
Dewey Cox: You're smoking *reefers*?
Sam: Yeah, 'course we are; can't you smell it?
Dewey Cox: No, Sam. I can't.
Girl Groupie: Come on, Dewey! Join the party!
[takes a hit off a joint]
Sam: No, Dewey, you don't want this. Get outta here!
Dewey Cox: You know what, I don't want no hangover. I can't get no hangover.
Sam: It doesn't give you a hangover!
Dewey Cox: Wha-I get addicted to it or something?
Sam: It's not habit-forming!
Dewey Cox: Oh, okay... well, I don't know... I don't want to overdose on it.
Sam: You can't OD on it!
Dewey Cox: It's not gonna make me wanna have sex, is it?
Sam: It makes sex even better!
Dewey Cox: Sounds kind of expensive.
Sam: It's the cheapest drug there is.
Dewey Cox: [at a loss and out of excuses] Hmm.
Sam: You don't want it!
Dewey Cox: I think I kinda want it.
Sam: Okay, but just this once. Come on in.
Daniel P

November 8, 2007
If you like watching the Scary Movie/Teen Movie/Date Movie/Epic Movie series, STOP IT. This is how you do parody. Rolling in equal parts Walk the Line and Mr. Holland's Opus (along with, hilariously, a little Field of Dreams!), Judd Apatow delivers an entertaining romp that melds the biopic with the Forrest Gump "life story structure". Undergirded by a great, if ridiculous, performance by John C. Reilly and about a thousand cameos, it seems, Walk Hard is great fun even if some of its jokes are weaker than others. Worth seeing, and likely one that will get funnier every time you see it. If you can actually manage to watch it again, though... well, you're tougher than me.
Ping C

December 26, 2008
An underrated deconstructionist comedy for music nerds. John C. Reily, Aptow, and Co. manage to brilliantly lampoon rock 'n roll myth and flicks. The film is mostly a play on 'Walk the Line', but everything from the Beatles excursions in India, to the recording of The Beach Boys Pet Sounds, to 'Almost Famous' to Jackos peculiar affinity for Zoo animals, 50 years of pop history is subject to parody.

The movie, however, is somewhat flawed in that it overreaches and takes tangents away from the main story line to fit in episodes like Dewey's 9 month acid trip, and the Partridge Family sub-plot. But despite the occasional silliness and occasional lack of focus, this movie illicited its share of belly laughs.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

January 1, 2008
Gratuitous nudity, few laughs and terrible music make this one a hard watch. I fell alseep watching it if that tells you anything.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

December 17, 2007
I was kinda skeptical in seeing this one mainly because of the damage Aaron Seltzer and Jason Friedberg had done to the parody movie genre. 'Epic Movie' who was supposed to spoof 'epic' movies like Narnia and Pirates of the Carribean was a total mess. I didn't laugh one bit. Don't even start with 'Date Movie', its the most un-funniest thing you'll ever see in your TV screen. And the other film was just plain crap. I'm starting to think Uwe Boll is a better director than these two bloodsucking bottom feeders.

So anyway, this one was co-written by Judd Apatow, one of Hollywood's awesomest directors, and the actors are mostly from the Apatow gang so I decided to give it a try.

While it is not the greatest of Apatow's films, it sure succeeds in parodying 'Walk the Line' and it is hilarious as hell. The script, though sometimes a bit absurd and just plain crazy, was very well written. Its what you get from the world's greatest director in the comedy circuit.

John C. Reilly portrayed music legend Dewey Cox like Will Ferrell would have portrayed it. The dialogues uttered by Dewey Cox were so Will Ferrell-ish. I am starting to think Will Ferrell would have been a better Dewey Cox. Don't get me wrong, John C. Reilly was awesome but Will Ferrell, I think was a better choice.

The funniest scene would probably be the Beatles cameo in India. Jack Black is awfully funny as Paul McCartney, Paul Rudd was spot-on as John Lennon, Jason Schwartzman was hilarious as Ringo Starr and Justin Long was pitch perfect as George Harrison.

Watch it. It is a decent parody movie. 4/5