Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story Reviews

½ January 14, 2008
Funny in the dumbest way. If you are looking for one of those shut-your-brain-off comedies, you will enjoy the ride.
May 22, 2009
It's good. It's not great, but it is good.
January 7, 2008
This looks so stupid,yet funny.
½ June 7, 2009
one of my favorite comedies of the last few years... just down right hilarious. i love all the over the topness, and the music is really good. After the movie i went and downloaded my favorites. I feel people should just take it for what it was, a hilarious parody of some of the greatest biopics of all time..
December 13, 2007
Not quite as great as 'This is Spinal Tap' But it's still a pretty good spoof of the music bio pics.
½ May 9, 2014
For a goofy comedy it's pretty damn good. There's a ton of respectable cameos and an unexpectedly solid soundtrack.
May 4, 2014
A parody of the film Walk The Line. It's silly but not funny.
½ April 3, 2014
The extended version is superb (and gratuitous), filled with the sort of nods and cameos that titillate any fan of music documentaries. The music isn't half bad either (and some of it is hilarious).
February 21, 2014
Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story - comedy-parody musical film. Produced and written by Jake Kasdan and Judd Apatow, Jake Kasdan directed the film. Starring John C. Reilly, Jenna Fischer, Raymond J. Barry, Kristen Wiig. Mad over budget of $35-million. Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story is parody of country music Rock-&-Roll singer Johnny Cash Oscar-winning "Walk the Line (Joaquin Phoenix - Reese Witherspoon - Witherspoon received Best Actress Oscar award)". More notable references are toward 'Ray Charles', 'Bob Dylan', 'Elvis Presley', 'The Beatles', 'Jim Morrison', and 'James Brown'. Reilly has sung all of his songs himself. The title-song was written by Jake, Judd and Reilly. Golden Globe nominated John C. Reilly for 'Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy'.

At first I thought that this was seriously-toned picture; but when I was introduced to opening scene it touched my memory of 'Walk the Line' - hence right then I realized that The Dewey Cox Story is parody of popular biographical musical films which were released in the 2000s decade - including 'Ray'. Superb production-designs, makeup work, hairstyles, costume-designing and picturesque quality.

I think these folks deserve the praise for their amazing work, although they might have realized what they were offering out to masses, and yet it was their confidence that brought the taste to us. I already juiced it up (watched it in intervals). I liked most of its songs, especially 'Walk Hard', 'Guilty As Charged' and 'A Life Without You'. I'd love to recommend this movie to those a. who love John C. Reilly comedy b. parody-style c. memorable songs.
February 21, 2014
I am, admittedly, a huge John Reilly fan. That being said, this is a fantastic film, an epic, sweeping, brilliant biopic mockery with some truly amazing original songs. I laughed out loud, over and over, even as I was transfixed by the genius I was witnessing. The incredible cast rivals all the 70s Airport movies and all three Roots combined. OK, maybe not, but the cast is beyond impressive. Wow, just wow, if the upturned noses in Hollywood ever rewarded comedy, this would be Best Picture worthy. I liked it a little...

***** All the elevator buttons -
So incredibly high -
I stand today for the midget -
Half the size of a regular guy
***** Let me hold you little man -
As the parade passes by -
Let me hold you little man -
We'll make believe you can fly
***** You shout for me to put you down -
But I'm marching today for your cause -
I'm bangin' the drum -
Your big day will come -
When they remake the Wizard of Oz
***** So let me hold you midget man -
Pretend that you're flying in space -
Let me hold you midget man -
So the dog will stop licking your face
½ October 22, 2011
It's like the Scary Movie version of Walk the Line. Simply bad.
February 11, 2014
Have you seen me hard...ON WEED?
February 10, 2014
My favorite comedy of all time.
June 15, 2009
It had it moments, but was a bit of a let down overall.
December 31, 2013
Best rock mocumentary since This is Spinal Tap.
December 23, 2013
A few laugh out loud moments scattered about keeps it from being a complete loss, however there are more dry patches than one would like.
December 21, 2013
Walk Hard is one of my type of comedies that I see a lot. Meaning it has this usual cast of characters, really funny, some vulgar humor, and there's probably a dick joke somewhere. But for some reason this movie was never in my radar of these types of movies. Then when I saw it, and it was better than a lot of those movies, I wanted to know why. And I assume it's because it lost money in the box office. Well the box office be damned! I love this movie, and I'll tell you why. One, I love movies that go through an entire character's life. Forrest Gump, Benjamin Button, you get the idea. But not often is it used for a comedy. But I think it worked. You feel for this character, and really like the story. Dewey Cox basically kills his brother with a machete, decides to live his life for the both of them, and takes on his music career. And so the adventure goes from there, and it's funny. It parodies a lot of musicians, the ways celebrities act, and stuff like that. Instead of making Elvis Presley and the Beatles cool, they make guys like Jack Black and Paul Rudd play them with funny accents. And some of the jokes I didn't catch, sorry, I didn't grow up in this time period. But my mom watched with me once, and she laughed at parts I never really got. And I like about ninety percent of the jokes, and usually laugh at them. This was one movie I think the second time around was when I really laughed the most, and from there on it's still worth watching ever now and then. But back to the ninety percent things, some jokes are just off. I saw the unrated version first, and let's just say it didn't show a dick joke. And yeah, it's a pretty terrible dick joke. And a lot of jokes I feel more like I got the concept of the joke, and what they were going for, but it was badly executed, at all. There was no punchline or part where I felt like I was suppose to laugh. But trust me, a large majority of the jokes hit, and they hit hard on some really good ones. As for the story, I'll bring that up again. You really get this character's life, and this movie is his shell, just like a movie like Forrest Gump. Sure it's illogical and much more occupied with being humorous than making important statements that can reflect on your own life, but comedies are suppose to make you feel good and happy in a sense. And movies like Forrest Gump make you feel happy, so two formulas like that are really good. And also, one thing I find annoying with comedies are their ending, because half the time they don't seem to care. (See my 30 Minutes or Less Review for instance) But this movie's ending did what endings should, and ended with a nice pretty ribbon, and made me feel good about the whole thing. Also, this is one of those movies that you have to see at least twice. Like maybe Anchorman, it's probably funnier the second time. In fact, I think comedies are one of those things where the next experience, or maybe that experience with a friend or family member makes it better. And it helps more when the surprising message is about family and friends. And I think watching all the drug adventures, good one-liners, meeting past music idols, and so much more makes a nice little adventure. And to be honest, I think it makes fun of music in general more than it is honoring music. And I like when stories say "hey, this isn't as big as some people make it." I remember one part in this movie where a girl (or should I say a woman. People in their forties play fourteen and twelve year olds, it'll make sense when you see the movie) But anyway, she was looking at his poster, just adoring him. And I found that funny when the other possible pictures he could have taken were him looking like the complete idiot he really is. And just little things like that I like. Anyway, I love this movie. It's probably one of my top ten comedies in my collection at the time of this review, and one I will always come back to every some often. Walk hard!
½ September 11, 2012
Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story is a clever satirization with an enjoyable performance from John C. Reilly as well as being made in a funny fast-paced biographical style and accompanied by an enjoyable soundtrack. alk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story is clearly satirical, and the film keeps that as a constant working tone
December 14, 2013
Walk Hard is clearly a parody of Johnny Cash's Walk the Line. There are a few other shout outs to pop icons of the 60's and 70's like Bob Dylan, David Bowie, and Jim Morrison, but the major influence in this movie is Johnny Cash. The movie is barely funny - there are a couple laugh out loud moments but not enough to keep you laughing all the way through.
December 13, 2013
The predominant parody of the 21st century, Walk Hard brings life back the comedic parody with a strong performance from John C. Reilly. One of the funniest films I have ever watched, Walk Hard exemplifies the comedic talent of Reilly, Apatow, and Kasdan.