Wanderlust Reviews

½ July 8, 2011
Kind of painful to watch. I love Paul Rudd, but even he couldn't raise this sinking ship. The subject matter could have been really funny, but the way this storyline was presented just seemed to miss the mark every time. Pretty underwhelming film. Too bad.
August 29, 2012
Little bit disappointing. Had its moments, but wasn't consistently funny. It was okay, I guess, but I wish I hadn't bought it unseen. I usually like Jennifer Anniston's rom coms.
September 18, 2012
"Wanderlust" is exactly what the title suggests -- it wanders with its narrative with very little punchlines or humor to make it memorable. Paul Rudd is always good and always entertaining to watch, but with the lackluster script and boring plotline, "Wanderlust" is a pass altogether.
bbcfloridabound
½ September 21, 2012
PURE TRASH NOTHING MORE 0 Stars 9-14-12
c0up
August 31, 2012
'Wanderlust'. Paul Rudd has his comedic moments, but the rest of this cult comedy is mostly forgettable.
LWOODS04
½ January 12, 2011
"I liked the movie. I thought is was kinda funny and had some great moments. I laughed the hardest when Paul was in front of the mirror trying to talk himself up to having sex with Eva. But that was by far the funniest moment for me and it never got any funnier. I guess I was just expecting more laughs. I do think everyone did a great job in the movie. All the characters were a lot of fun. So didn't love it, but it wasn't awful either."
½ August 8, 2012
Paul Rudd(George) and Jennifer Aniston(Linda) star in this very uneven comedy about a couple who have to downsize their lives and move from New York to Atlanta to live with George's brother. Along the way they stumble upon Elysium, which is basically a hippy community. There they find a fresh start, with no need for jobs, money, phones, or anything else to hamper their happiness. But like all good things, it never lasts and is too good to be true. The performances are all fantastic. The supporting cast is great, especially Alan Alda as the founder of Elysium and Ken Marino(George's butthole brother). The problem is the pacing and the tone. The movie tends to drag in spots that really brings it down. It's an hour and 38 minutes which is a good run time, but it feels over 2 hours long. When the jokes hit, they hit good, and when they miss it's bad. More misses than hits here, which is never a good thing. It's still funny and worth a watch, but if you expect "Role Models" or "Knocked Up" quality comedy, you will be disappointed. Just take it for what it is, and keep expectations in check.
FiLmCrAzY
½ July 2, 2011
Its got its funny bits but other than that its a very predictable and not alot going on. Its a very average movie and although a good, decent cast the movie just lacks in everything else.
3niR
½ June 19, 2012
Yes it was funny but it was weird as well. Not to mention gross.
½ August 27, 2011
Wanderlust suffers from two different social conventions: It stars Jennifer Aniston and people underestimate small comedy films. Unless something has a big idea and flawless execution, it usually becomes a shelved comedy in the moors of history, akin to romantic comedies that are now dated, and even some of Paul Rudd's work in the last five years. Jennifer Aniston, though lovable, is a train wreck that everyone loves to watch, even if it means sitting through uncomfortable, tense comedy and gross out humor. Here Aniston is a bit toned down from her usual heady romantic girl next door, and plays an actual character instead of herself. She and Rudd have a great give and take, and each has their own presence within the film. The film itself was co-written and directed by David Wain, who was part of The State group of actors, who find themselves in the cast, including Kerri Kenney-Silver, Ken Marino, the rest of Stella, and Joe Lo Truglio as a wine making nudist. The cast is truly amazing, and includes a breakthrough performance from Justin Theroux. The film contains some big ideas, and some realistic ones, including the state of our economy, andthe plight of those in need while some successful people in this country are simply undeserving and petty. There are some considerable flaws within the plot and it is an idea more than it is a fleshed out story. I found the flaky, comics' style comedy to be quite funny, and though it isn't so raunchy, gross out, or juvenile, it does go for the cheap laughs occasionally, and I love it for that. I found the cast to be enchanting, working together as friends as they always do, once collaborating on Reno 911!, Wet Hot American Summer, and Stella, and here again their zany humor holds them together. It is unfortunate that the cast needed the straight man of Aniston and Rudd, but because the "commune" is so flaky they needed grounded protagonists and a point to their antics. Still, it is a great film to get lost in for a while, flaws and all.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
½ June 21, 2012
"We prefer 'intentional community'. We're not a bunch of hippies sitting around playing guitar."

Rattled by sudden unemployment, a Manhattan couple surveys alternative living options, ultimately deciding to experiment with living on a rural commune where free love rules.

REVIEW
Now, a lot of the comedy in Wanderlust is broad, obvious and in the vein of "Look how wacky these hippies are!" It's still pretty damn funny and some of it's a good deal smarter than that. The opening scenes, which are almost like an extended montage, of George and Linda's life in New York do a great job of elevating, mocking and then crushing their dreams. And the gamut of emotions the couple run through on their regretful drive down to Atlanta quickly builds a level of depth into their relationship and makes their audience more invested in what happens to them. Nothing after that is as well written, but there are plenty of good jokes and absurd moments.

It does seem like they got 3/4ths of the way through Wanderlust and only then realized they didn't have ending to story, so the Almighty Plot Hammer is brought to bear and an avalanche of nudity is used to cover for the character development that's skipped over. By that point, though, you'll probably have enjoyed the movie enough not to care and everything will get wrapped up fast enough not to bother you. Aniston, Rudd and Theroux are splendid and the rest of the cast, especially Alan Alda, are charming enough in their one-note roles. Co-writer/director David Wain also shows a fine hand. There's plenty of comedy in Wanderlust and from the briefest lines to more extended gags, he gives it all the right amount of time, space and rhythm. This isn't a great film but it's pretty good, even if you think you've had your fill of R-rated comedies.
MANUGINO
½ November 9, 2011
Leave your baggage behind.

Not so great. Yes, there were a couple good laughs to be had during this movie. But for the most part, it was just weird. Even some of the funny scenes went on too long and got to be awkward. The story was predictable. The jokes were not, because they were so outlandish that they came across as gimmicky. Not that a movie like this requires great acting skills, but the roles played by Rudd, Aniston and Watkins are at least believable. But the credibility stops there. Most of the other characters are over-acted, and poorly-developed. Please note that this is not a movie for children. You get shown a man in full nudity, both front and back, in the first 10 minutes of the film and other adult situations and visuals throughout.

George (Rudd) and Linda (Aniston) are an overextended, stressed out Manhattan couple. After George is downsized out of his job, they find themselves with only one option: to move in with George's awful brother in Atlanta. On the way there, George and Linda stumble upon Elysium, an idyllic community populated by colorful characters who embrace a different way of looking at things. Money? It can't buy happiness. Careers? Who needs them? Clothes? Only if you want them. Is Elysium the fresh start George and Linda need? Or will the change of perspective cause more problems than it solves?
February 21, 2012
The script starts outs great, but it loses momentum. Instead of a fully formed storyline proceeding to a satisfying conclusion, we get one dubious skit after another, none of which are particularly funny. The humor grows childish and immature. Paul Rudd uncomfortably sitting a toilet while people chat with him like he's in the living room is an example of a simple-minded sight gag, not wit. The narrative is directionless, without a point. There's a scene in which George, staring in a mirror, is trying to psych himself up for sex he doesn't want to have. He begins speaking in this bizarre hillbilly accent about how he wants to be with the woman in question. It's just Paul Rudd, freely ad-libbing for 5 minutes. The resulting soliloquy is one of the most pathetic and embarrassing moments I have witnessed an actor I respect do. Imagine Elmer Fudd talking about his penis and you'll get the idea. These are jokes aimed at children who just learned the mechanics of how men and women procreate. The film is two distinct halves, the initial part that seems focused and purposeful to an end and a subsequent one that is an aimless series of moronic skits. Two stars for the promising first half and no stars for the second.
axadntpron
½ March 9, 2012
Being a fan of David Wain and co., I really wanted to love this film. I've been following their career since Wet Hot American Summer, and was really excited to see their follow-up to the very funny Rolemodels.
Enter George and Linda, a young couple whom after a spat of financial problems, end up getting a taste of the bucolic at Elysium commune. Part of a recent trend of films that lovingly plays with the idea of ditching the hustle & bustle of daily life, Wanderlust shows our stars being lured into the idea of a lifestyle free from grueling work schedules, lattes, I-Phones, & of course...Nintendo power gloves. In essence, they are surrogates for a movie going audience still reeling from a financial meltdown, throwing caution to the wind and emancipating themselves from being a slave to the grind.
George & Linda, played well by the always charming Paul Rudd & the seldom charming Jennifer Anniston, have a surprising amount of chemistry and one cannot help but be empathetic toward their interesting, albeit comical, plight. However, while Wain and co-writer Ken Marino serve up some hearty laughs along the way, one can not help but wish they worked out the kinks in the story a bit more.
While narratively I understand needing things to get to a breaking point in order for the story to move into it's final act, the conflict felt awkwardly contrived and distanced the audience from an otherwise understandable and lovable couple.
Also, while I love tight editing, this film is so streamlined that the audience is rushed at light-speed through gag after gag. By the time the credits rolled, I found myself saying, "I know I laughed, but what happened?"
It isn't all bad. Wain & Marino dish up loads of their signature witty & irreverent humor. On top of this there are some great cameos by other veterans of The State & Alan Alda is absolutely hysterical. Whether he is acting or actually living in some sort of senile reverie, I want nothing more than to grab a beer with that man.
All in all, a step back for one of my favorite comedy directors working today, but not an entire waste of celluloid.
Bathsheba Monk
March 7, 2012
This was such a surprise! I thought it was going to be typical "guy date movie" but it was quite witty and surprisingly true to life. Paul Rudd psyching himself up for a romp with the Eva character is a tour de force. Jennifer Anister was great as the artsy wife who can't commit to anything for longer than it takes to fail. Even the weirdo brother with the tantrum tic and absolutely brilliant explanation of why he has to keep his affairs from his wife...he's weird enough to remind me of several people I've met.
December 31, 2011
It's a little inconsistent compared to his last feature "Role Models," but director David Wain delivers a solid r-rated raunchy comedy that mostly thrives off of the hilarious charms of Paul Rudd.
February 23, 2012
Now is this the best film of the year?... not in a long shot. BUT I really enjoyed this film. I went to a free screening and was surprisingly well made. The editing was great and Paul Rudd is proving to be a true talent. A bit to many dongs for my taste but what did I expect from a hippie film.
December 21, 2012
Highly predictable, crass comedy from the mind of Judd Apatow. Three stars, but reluctantly, as about the only character I found I could like was Linda, played by Jennifer Aniston. Very few moments that I would actually describe as funny. I liked it, but only a little bit.
August 8, 2012
Apatow strikes out again with Wanderlust, yet another underwhelming raunchy comedy with no heart. The story follows a married couple that ends up moving into a hippie commune when jobs dry up in the big city. Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston lead the cast, but neither gives a particularly good performance. All the characters feel artificial and the plot seems contrived. Wanderlust doesn't pull off the raunchy humor, and as a result it falls flat.