War Of The Dead Reviews

½ January 30, 2013
Shoot first, develop plot later.
½ November 23, 2013
War of the Dead (Marko Mäkilaasko, 2011)

I was all set to love this movie-a Finnish knock-off of Norway's first, and best, Nazi zombie flick, Død Snø, that also happens to star Invincible's Jouko Ahola. How could you possibly go wrong? Well, in quite a few ways, as it turns out. This is depressing, because War of the Dead wanted to be a better movie than it is, and it almost, but not quite, succeeded. In fact, it might be possible to make a case that Paul Campion's The Devil's Rock, released the same year, is exactly the film War of the Dead wanted to be, but didn't quite get there.

Plot: An American platoon, deep in the middle of nowhere (the accents sounded kind of Austrian to me, one synopsis tells me they're in Russia, another one says in the Carpathians-how does that even make sense in WW2?), comes upon a platoon of the enemy, ambushes them, and wipes them out. Everyone's happy. Well, except the guys on the other side of that firefight, they're pretty pissed. So what do they do? Get right back up and start eating the erstwhile victors. Obviously, things are not what they seem in this little corner of the world, and our hapless survivors find themselves tasked with a much more important mission than the simple wiping out of a bunker...

Any number of good ideas to be found here, but none of them actually come to fruition. I suspect an overzealous editing hand was involved in at least part of this, as in the last third or thereabouts things get incoherent now and again; all the setup and pacing disappear into action scene after action scene, and it struck me on a number of occasions that there should have been stuff in between the bullets flying and zombies stomping and all that sort of thing. By the end I was wondering if everyone involved hadn't simply given up and decided to release whatever came out of the editing room. A depressing thought, but the only hypothesis that made any sense in my head-at least, it made more sense than the actual movie did. I'd love to see the shooting script to find out what was actually supposed to happen. * 1/2
½ May 31, 2013
Very little character development. Lots of gunfire but surprisingly very little gore. Storyline and plot were fairly weak. It felt more like an action movie with zombies rather than a horror movie with zombies. Considering the budget was only $1.8 million, they did okay but if you were expecting a combination of Saving Private Ryan and Dead Snow, this is not it.
½ May 8, 2013
79%

Here's a new one, tree climbing undead. Mostly forgettable.
½ April 29, 2013
It wasn't bad, it just couldn't decide what it wanted to be. Was it a supernatural Nazi film? Hard bitten grunt WWII movie? Zombie flick? Add to that confusion a slow plot, bad CGI FX, and a ending that feels like they just ran out of time and unfortunately, it won't satisfy fans of any of those genres
½ February 15, 2013
I just saw this film last night and felt that it was a very interesting and well-made slant on zombie films. While it didn't have as much gore and "brain munching" it did hold up well, and seemed to actually be more of a WWII film with zombies layered over it than a zombie film that took place during WWII. Not that is a bad thing, especially as by now, most of these zombie films seem to be just knock-offs of each other. This one was different, and that makes it well worth watching.
½ January 16, 2013
I won't pretend to know anything about Nazis zombie films, but what I do know is that you need a plethora of scares and gore to be successful - unfortunately War of The Dead had neither...it also missed the mark by being too ambitious, too emotionally uninvolving and far too over-dramatic for the undead genre.
January 6, 2013
bad war movie...even worst zombie movie
½ January 1, 2013
This is more a war movie with zombies rather than your typical zombie movie... Once we have that straightened out it´s actually a pretty good movie.

The Finns have a strong culture and legacy with war movies - compliments of a war torn past no doubt - and they know how to make them credible and interesting. Here they have mixed in some living dead into the plot to spice things up a bit, to perhaps ride on the backs of the living dead to popularity. A good idea, but not perfectly executed...
Plot wise it leaves a bit to be desired, quite frankly. The logic for the actions and decisions of the characters in this movie falter from time to time, and it´s not nearly as scary as it should be (don´t quite know why).

Still - the acting is far better than average for these sorts of movies, and as a war movie it actually works rather well - zombies included. It also has good pace and lots of action, it´s just not as scary as one expects of a zombie or a horror movie. A let down as a zombie flick, but well worth seeing in it´s own right though.
½ October 14, 2012
just a zombie film set in the war. The story seemed ok but its not very different to whats been shown everywhere before.
½ August 19, 2012
An absolutely awful film, not scary, thrilling or entertaining.
½ August 16, 2012
Not a bad movie. It certainly moves fast.